R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: When is Mastering not Mastering?  (Read 22285 times)

lucey

Re: When is Mastering not Mastering?
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2005, 04:18:56 PM »

JayTea wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 14:25

like the old phrase sez:

"laughter, the best medicine"

And another phrase:     at the root of every joke lies a seed of truth.  So what was the truth here?

bblackwood wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 14:16

Yah, the guys cutting the loudest records are doing it to please the clients. Way to fight the power...

To please clients, and the fear of losing the job.   Yes, thats my view of it.

It's powerful technology with no standards, and no leadership or sense of community in a field of loners.  That's about it.

Quote:

Quote:

is now the place where asking the name of an unknown hack who did an objectively piss-poor job gets a 'supposed' joke in response.

Objective? In art, nothing is objective. I thought you were Mr. Art, calling down the old gods and channeling their Muse-like magic through your fingertips...

Step right up and be the next Cynic to act like an ass ... where do you get this shit?

It was clear that this job we would all agree was "undone" to any standard.   Most things are taste things.  By his description of this job was not to any standard or consistency.

Quote:

Quote:

A comment that amounts to a put down of the person asking the question (me), or to a diffusion of the idea of openness in name calling.

A joke maybe? Not even directed at you, perhaps?

I asked a question ... Turtle was speaking in response to my question, yes?  To diffuse it's potential with humor.

He questioned the questions validity, do you get that?

You started the openness here Brad but you wont support me in questioning the motivations of cynics to this cause ... thanks dude.  You're a class act.  A real pal in a pinch.

Quote:

If Thomas doesn't want to share it, that's fine (though I wish he would), but balling up your little fists and stomping around isn't helpful.

Was Turtle's post "helpful"?    Didn't it basically say "no way anyones ever gonna do that, HA!"

So it DERAILED the topics POTENTIAL direction ... get it?

If I derailed your initiative and in so doing was basically insulting you for going there would you respond with a "why?" as I did?  I didn't ball up fists right away, I gave him a chance to come off the puny horse he saw as high.

As for your "little fists" insult (a clear insult) ... is that setting a better example?  Is that "helpful" or professional?

I guess when you own the joint you can act as hypocritically as you want, eh?

Quote:

Just as we discuss stuff seriously we also joke around here a bit, so if you're going to get bent everytime someone cracks a joke, this may not be the forum for you...

Not "everytime"  ... just the cynical prick 'jokes'.  Again, was there a joke here?

Wasn't humor being used to push an idea, to make a point? As Alan said, he meant that no one in class will bust their bud, right?   So in fact, it's not a joke if it's more "idea" than joke.

I'm gonna continue to look at the "idea" hidden in the so-called jokes.  If that bugs you cut me off now or get over it.  Every joke contains a seed of truth, there in no pure entertainment.  Sorry you're missing the subtleties here, but they exist and in this case, they seemed not constructive to openness and dialogue.

Please get off my ass for asking cynical people to contribute.  Since you are blind to the poison of cynics someone has to do it.   Brad you set the tone of openness with the Mafia thing ... and I asked Tom "who" and TurtleTone had to put his cynical jab in there instead of letting Tom answer and leting it go ...

WHY did Turtle bother?  Fear of being outed himself for shitty work?  Doubt that anyone would even out anyone?  What does doubt, cynicsm and fear contribute to this thread or this forum?

I'm contributing by asking for more than lazyness ... but you dont see that, only the harshness required to wake your ass up.
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown

bblackwood

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2005, 04:30:08 PM »

lucey wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 15:18

I'm gonna continue to look at the "idea" hidden in the so-called jokes.  If that bugs you cut me off now or get over it.

I will if you insist upon turning so many threads into these types of discussions.

If you can't roll with the punches (which we all take now and then) then go elsewhere. And if you continue turning every thread where you disagree with something into a black-and-white argument where you attempt to psycho-analyze everything, you will be removed from the forum. I've grown tired of your constant "search for hidden agendas" or whatever you wish to call it.

Clear as mud?
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

TotalSonic

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2005, 04:43:46 PM »

I applaud Thomas for not "sharing" the "mystery" ME's name as UNTIL WE ACTUALLY KNOW ALL THE DETAILS it is possible to end up debasing someone's name and professional reputation for no good reason!!!!

I can think of one such occurance on this forum recently where this exact thing happened as a file was posted and an ME was "called out" by name for "slamming by default."  Turns out after talking directly to this ME was that the file in question was actually one of four different samples that were posted via ftp for the client to audition to demonstrate completely different approaches he could take towards the album - ranging from the slammed one we heard - to one version that we didn't that used absolutely no limiting at all.

So before we name names here - I think it is only professional courtesy to actually find out what truly and really happened at all points in the communication between client and ME before "calling them out".  And I for one would prefer if we focused on the work that we feel coming out is positive and what the techniques were used to come up to a level of excellence rather than sniping at each other and focusing on the negative trends.

on an off note -
My only experience of Ohio was when I was working as a session cellist for a Guided By Voices album being tracked at Cromag in Dayton.  The only thing I got to see was the studio, the motel room and a sleazy strip bar which was the only place to get a drink near the motel.  Anyway - I don't think I've ever witnessed as much cheap beer drunk in a studio as those sessions.  Didn't seem to faze them at all while they were laying down the basic tracks though.  Luckily there was a Golden Nuggets nearby with cheap omelettes and the endless cups of coffee to get me and the rest of the string quartet through the experience.  

Best regards,
Steve Berson

turtletone

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2005, 11:25:43 PM »

lucey wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 16:18

JayTea wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 14:25

like the old phrase sez:

"laughter, the best medicine"

And another phrase:     at the root of every joke lies a seed of truth.  So what was the truth here?

bblackwood wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 14:16

Yah, the guys cutting the loudest records are doing it to please the clients. Way to fight the power...

To please clients, and the fear of losing the job.   Yes, thats my view of it.

It's powerful technology with no standards, and no leadership or sense of community in a field of loners.  That's about it.

Quote:

Quote:

is now the place where asking the name of an unknown hack who did an objectively piss-poor job gets a 'supposed' joke in response.

Objective? In art, nothing is objective. I thought you were Mr. Art, calling down the old gods and channeling their Muse-like magic through your fingertips...

Step right up and be the next Cynic to act like an ass ... where do you get this shit?

It was clear that this job we would all agree was "undone" to any standard.   Most things are taste things.  By his description of this job was not to any standard or consistency.

Quote:

Quote:

A comment that amounts to a put down of the person asking the question (me), or to a diffusion of the idea of openness in name calling.

A joke maybe? Not even directed at you, perhaps?

I asked a question ... Turtle was speaking in response to my question, yes?  To diffuse it's potential with humor.

He questioned the questions validity, do you get that?

You started the openness here Brad but you wont support me in questioning the motivations of cynics to this cause ... thanks dude.  You're a class act.  A real pal in a pinch.

Quote:

If Thomas doesn't want to share it, that's fine (though I wish he would), but balling up your little fists and stomping around isn't helpful.

Was Turtle's post "helpful"?    Didn't it basically say "no way anyones ever gonna do that, HA!"

So it DERAILED the topics POTENTIAL direction ... get it?

If I derailed your initiative and in so doing was basically insulting you for going there would you respond with a "why?" as I did?  I didn't ball up fists right away, I gave him a chance to come off the puny horse he saw as high.

As for your "little fists" insult (a clear insult) ... is that setting a better example?  Is that "helpful" or professional?

Quote:

Just as we discuss stuff seriously we also joke around here a bit, so if you're going to get bent everytime someone cracks a joke, this may not be the forum for you...

Not "everytime"  ... just the cynical prick 'jokes'.  Again, was there a joke here?

Wasn't humor being used to push an idea, to make a point? As Alan said, he meant that no one in class will bust their bud, right?   So in fact, it's not a joke if it's more "idea" than joke.

I'm gonna continue to look at the "idea" hidden in the so-called jokes.  If that bugs you cut me off now or get over it.  Every joke contains a seed of truth, there in no pure entertainment.  Sorry you're missing the subtleties here, but they exist and in this case, they seemed not constructive to openness and dialogue.

Please get off my ass for asking cynical people to contribute.  Since you are blind to the poison of cynics someone has to do it.   Brad you set the tone of openness with the Mafia thing ... and I asked Tom "who" and TurtleTone had to put his cynical jab in there instead of letting Tom answer and leting it go ...

WHY did Turtle bother?  Fear of being outed himself for shitty work?  Doubt that anyone would even out anyone?  What does doubt, cynicsm and fear contribute to this thread or this forum?

I'm contributing by asking for more than lazyness ... but you dont see that, only the harshness required to wake your ass up.

Brian, you obviously have issues, far beyond my abilitly to analyze. If you insist on taking this personaly then that's your problem. It was a joke and not directed at you, but if you would like to take it upon yourself to defend every joke on this forum, then you've got a lot of work cut out for yourself. By the way you're reacting, I would say that you feel it necessary to defend something that we don't yet know, but maybe you do. Why is it you feel so inadequate? Is it because you feel that you haven't reached your full potential or is it because you have reached your full potential? Is it because you feel that eveyone on the east coast is evil and filled with Satan? I salute your goal to bring down the man, the problem is you don't know who the man is. So you focus all of your energy on what threatens you. What is it about my joke that threatened you personally? Was it the word Ohio? what would your reaction have been if I said LA or Idaho? Not only do you lash out me, but everyone else who doesn't support your view. For someone with relatively little experience in the industry, you sure have a lot of opionions about it and the people involved in it.
Michael Fossenkemper
TurtleTone Studio
info@turtletonestudio.com
www.turtletonestudio.com

dcollins

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2005, 12:24:31 AM »

lucey wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 13:18

Actually there is a community, of sorts, but you aren't allowed in.

So there.

More cabal, than commuinty, you might say....

Quote:

Quote:

(light laughter, golf applause)

Quote:

Who cares?  When it's f-u-n-n-y.  

Every joke you don't get is not necessarily Cynical, or damaging.

Many, and I mean many, lessons have been put in the form of jokes or questions over the years......  

Does everyone get them?  

No.

Quote:

A real friend will also tell you to go have sex with yourself....

Quote:

Personally I think adding the word "little" always helps a joke.  Sort of like Colin Chapman on weight...

Quote:

Unless you were actually worthy of an insult.  

Then it all makes sense.

Say it with us:

"The Cynics Also Contribute"

Why so angry, Brian?

Mastering should be fun!

DC

JGreenslade

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2005, 06:25:47 AM »

Quote:

Sort of like Colin Chapman on weight...

"To make it go faster you will have to add lightness."

"The secret of a successful marriage is not to be at home too much."

- Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman

There's a whole cult out there who refuse to accept Chapman died...the king has left the building...(he's based in Rio you know)...

Getting back to the topic in hand, i.e. "humour" - can anyone tell me the story about Chapman, and Moss's birthday cake?

Justin
Audio is a vocational affliction

"there is no "homeopathic" effect in bits and bytes." - HansP

masterhse

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2005, 07:35:00 AM »

Hey you bullies, leave Brian alone. He's from Ohio!
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.
CD Mastering and Media Production Services

turtletone

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2005, 07:53:05 AM »

masterhse wrote on Sat, 23 July 2005 07:35

Hey you bullies, leave Brian alone. He's from Ohio!

you said the "O" word. Shocked
Michael Fossenkemper
TurtleTone Studio
info@turtletonestudio.com
www.turtletonestudio.com

t(h)ik

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2005, 09:00:02 AM »

Actually there are some good things about Ohio....

1. All the girls are sex maniacs...I think it's from husking all that corn..

2. With the exception of Lake Erie there is nothing to stop you from getting the hell out of there.

3. Numerous outbound flights

4. Scenic corn fields

5. If you are driving through you get a sense of superiority.

6. It only takes about twenty-seven minutes to cross at thirty-thousand feet.

7. Cheap sweet corn.

8. Some of the nicest people are from there.

9. The Amish people are more prone to bestiality in Ohio but are usually easier to take advantage of in a trade than in other states.

10. Professional sports teams that will usually spot you ten.

11. Corn on the cob.

Lemme nough...

Tik
I used to be self effacing, but I couldn't even do that right....
www.pmtstudios.com

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2005, 11:51:11 AM »

TotalSonic wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 15:43

I applaud Thomas for not "sharing" the "mystery" ME's name as UNTIL WE ACTUALLY KNOW ALL THE DETAILS it is possible to end up debasing someone's name and professional reputation for no good reason!!!!

I'm not sure Thomas should reveal the name of the "mystery" ME.

After all, anyone can have a bad day, for various reasons.

It's not about "witch hunting" and publishing a "Bad ME List", is it?

IMNSHO, the forum's better served by promoting constructive ideas.

Peace  Cool
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

TotalSonic

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2005, 12:59:56 PM »

JayTea wrote on Sat, 23 July 2005 16:51

Peace  Cool

AGREED!!

Best regards,
Steve Berson

pg666

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2005, 01:07:05 PM »

Quote:

on an off note -
My only experience of Ohio was when I was working as a session cellist for a Guided By Voices album being tracked at Cromag in Dayton. The only thing I got to see was the studio, the motel room and a sleazy strip bar which was the only place to get a drink near the motel. Anyway - I don't think I've ever witnessed as much cheap beer drunk in a studio as those sessions. Didn't seem to faze them at all while they were laying down the basic tracks though. Luckily there was a Golden Nuggets nearby with cheap omelettes and the endless cups of coffee to get me and the rest of the string quartet through the experience.

if this was for 'pretty bombs' (the only GBV song i can think of with strings), then it was worth it.

sorry, back to topic..

TotalSonic

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2005, 01:14:19 PM »

pg666 wrote on Sat, 23 July 2005 18:07

if this was for 'pretty bombs' (the only GBV song i can think of with strings), then it was worth it.

sorry, back to topic..

Yup - that was the one, glad you dig it.  We're also on "Dig Through My Windows" which came out as the B side to Back to the Lake 7" and on the CD EP " The Pipe Dreams Of Instant Prince Whippet"

Working with Bob Pollard & Doug Gilliard and the rest was actually a blast - definitely the experience was more than worth it.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Ronny

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2005, 02:06:58 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Sat, 23 July 2005 12:59

JayTea wrote on Sat, 23 July 2005 16:51

Peace  Cool

AGREED!!

Best regards,
Steve Berson

I third that emotion. I can't zilch the feeling that we are like a jealous old maid shaking our fingers at the girl next door for wearing styles that everyone is buying.  
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------