R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Schoeps - "sound" and impedance issues  (Read 32733 times)

Jim Williams

Re: Schoeps - "sound" and impedance issues
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2007, 11:14:18 AM »

Some of the older jfets like the 2N3019 are dark, the replacement Toshiba 2SK107/170 are better. I like the RF parts like Siliconix J305's best, they sound much more open especially with very high input impedances above 3 gig ohms.

The discontinued Hitachi 2SA1084 and 2SC2546's sound very good in microphones plus they have lower noise, a .5 nv/hz/sq noise spec. The top end loses it's hard and strident transistor sound, they are just open and relaxed sounding in comparison.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

minister

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2007, 04:53:48 PM »

David Satz wrote on Sat, 23 July 2005 15:37

Plush, like you I don't know what to say if people call Schoeps microphones "grainy" sounding, but that's partly because I've never been able to figure out what "grainy" is supposed to mean where sound is concerned.
Octava MK012.  That's my definition of grainy.  By that, i mean missing something, and what is left lacks smoothness.

I believe that the people who are saying "grainy" WRT to Schoeps mean "not as clear as" (insert mic of preference for them).  and that they hear "grain" in the frequency spectrum.  Rather obvious interpretation, but i know what they mean.

I do not, however, agree.  I use the CMC6-U's for field recording along with a Sound Devices 702 which has a 7.5k ohm Input Impedance.  With the CMC6-U's at 35 ohm, i do not expereince graininess, rather smooth and natural sound.  If I add EQ to the top end with a decent EQ, I do not get more graininess.

In the studio, i use them for Foley for films and find them to be natural sounding.  This is usually with a Focusrite ISA 110 with an input impedance of 1.2k ohms).

I just ordered a John Hardy Twin Servo 990 with the 20 ohm switch.

I am interested to hear if there is a big difference with the different impedances. and if i hear more "graininess" comparatively with the other impedances.

In the end, our brains hear things differently.  Oliver Sax can attest to that.  So, it does come down to : what are *YOU* looking for.

And, they certainly do not work on everything.
tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb

minister

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2008, 06:47:24 PM »

Ok....

So it took a LONG time to get the Hardy Pre.... the first one shipped had the wrong features and the correct unit took a long to get here.

The Hardy specs say 150 or 20 Ohm impedance when you have the switch.  I can say categorically that there is a BIG difference in the sound.  I very quickly recorded my assistant talking an the 20 Ohm version sounds nice and clear and the 150 Ohm version sounds clouded and clogged by comparison.  I listen to the recordings back to back.

I plan to record a bit of music or something more suitable for posting as a comparison.  I will return to post when I have those files ready.

tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb

Andy Simpson

« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2008, 06:05:04 AM »

Jim Williams wrote on Sun, 21 August 2005 19:16

I first got a pair of Schoeps in 1983. Thought they were real clean through a transformerless mic preamp.
My opinion has reversed 180
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up