R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beyer 260DX  (Read 5391 times)

wayne

Beyer 260DX
« on: January 13, 2005, 07:33:14 PM »

I recently had my stock 260.80 upgraded to the 260DX by Stephen Sank.  Stephen said the mod included the 77DX ribbon and a rewinding of the tranny to allow the low end to come back.

My question is about the mic output.  When I run it through either of my GR's, I can't hardly get any usable output, even with the gain wide open.  Now, the MP2MH and the MP2NV both have a ton of gain.  So anybody have similar results?  Is this normal?

The mic is not usable as it is right now, not even on a Twin amp.  Just wondering what some of you are using for nominal settings so I can compare I guess.  It has significantly less output than my M160 through the same preamp.  Even tried it through my VMP-2V, which has a ton of gain also.  

Wayne
Wayne

"sounds right to me"

hargerst

Re: Beyer 260DX
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 09:33:40 PM »

I have the MP-2H and the MP-2NV and a 260DX; I'll check them tomorrow and let you know what I found.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Dougtune

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 10:47:20 PM »

I've owned two 260's for a long time.  They both developed a distortion, and I sent one in for the DX mod.  It came back with its output 8db lower than the stock one.  I then had them rebuilt by Beyer, and they're like new.

wayne

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 09:08:33 PM »

hargerst wrote on Thu, 13 January 2005 20:33

I have the MP-2H and the MP-2NV and a 260DX; I'll check them tomorrow and let you know what I found.

Hurry up Harvey.  I gotta go to the bathroom.  :>)

Wayne

"sounds right to me"

Han S.

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 04:18:05 PM »

Wayne, Harvey will come back and wait for you, so you can go and have a party.

In the mean time I can tell you I have three 260's and all three need a little more gain than a Sennheiser MD441, not spectacular. They're standard mics

Great mics though.

wayne

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 04:43:06 PM »

Harvey wrote:

>I have the MP-2H and the MP-2NV and a 260DX; I'll check them >tomorrow and let you know what I found.
>

Harvey, I know you're a busy man and I am patient or I am a patient, can't remember which.  Anyhow, anxious to hear what you found out about input levels.

Wayne Smile
Wayne

"sounds right to me"

OOF!

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 10:51:33 PM »

i also have this mic and never noticed a problem in combo with a great river.  loved it on a princeton or deluxe.  make sure the GR little output knob is at +10 for the cleanest sound.  the more the input works, the more color you get- as per the manual.

Teddy G.

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 10:18:50 PM »

When you asked Stephen Sank, what did he say???

TG

hank alrich

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2005, 01:15:05 AM »

wayne wrote on Thu, 13 January 2005 16:33

I recently had my stock 260.80 upgraded to the 260DX by Stephen Sank.  Stephen said the mod included the 77DX ribbon and a rewinding of the tranny to allow the low end to come back.

My question is about the mic output.  When I run it through either of my GR's, I can't hardly get any usable output, even with the gain wide open.  Now, the MP2MH and the MP2NV both have a ton of gain.  So anybody have similar results?  Is this normal?

The mic is not usable as it is right now, not even on a Twin amp.  Just wondering what some of you are using for nominal settings so I can compare I guess.  It has significantly less output than my M160 through the same preamp.  Even tried it through my VMP-2V, which has a ton of gain also.  

Wayne

Wayne,

That ain't right. I've read plenty of folks comments about their Sank mod'd 260's, and many from folks who would holler out this if it were normal. Get in touch with Stephen and have him get it right.
--
ha

mumbles

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2005, 06:50:11 AM »

We've had an M500 modded to a "M560DX."  The output is a lot lower, but the sound is so much better.

Seamus
Seamus
Upstate, NY

lowswing

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 02:09:41 AM »

wayne wrote on Fri, 14 January 2005 00:33

Wayne

I had exactly the same senario, the mic is rearly used but it rules (after the mod) on bass drum and Fender twin (silky clean or crunch guitar)
Guy Sternberg
Producer and Recording engineer
LowSwing Studios www.lowswing.de

wayne

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2005, 02:59:09 PM »

Stephen had me return the mic to him.  He used a tranny from an old M260 instead of changing the windings on my 260.80.  In order to make it work right, he changed the guts to the older M260.  It also has a older style cable connector and he furnished a new cable and connector.

It now works and I'm a much happier camper.  Kudos to Stephan.

---Wayne
Wayne

"sounds right to me"

New Orleans Steve

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2005, 10:18:43 AM »

Hmmm....Lets See.
You first posted in JANUARY. Now in JUNE the problem has resolved. How can Kudos go to the guy how duped your mic for 6 mos.?  
 Did the 'mod er' test the mic before it went out?

I have a stock 260, as well as other ribbons, and it sounds just fine as is. I wish I could A/B the DX mod. with a good specimen of the stock mic.

What is the cost comparison? Can anyone compare the cost of the DX ribbon with the Beyer USA replacement?
Straightwire Studios New Orleans is now Straightwire Studios Tampa
Is now back in New Orleans!

Check us out on line www.frenchmenstreetrecords.com

lowswing

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2005, 02:22:47 PM »

new report:
few days after my last reply i got  a great river mp1nv and it an amazing pair with my 260dx when the impadence switch is on. all the issues i had with this mic are gone
Guy Sternberg

lowswing

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2005, 01:00:18 PM »

by the way what do you think, the 260dx sounds more like 77dx or m260?
Guy Sternberg
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 17 queries.