R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: So what has improved in the last decade  (Read 2846 times)

Ross Hogarth

Re: So what has improved in the last decade
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2005, 03:46:15 AM »

one of the things that has been a benefit in the new age of the pro tools studio in my house and my friends house's ,has been the quality of life
My quality of life has been raised just be the sheer fact that i get more time at home and at other friends homes
and that is a good thing
also the ability to use each other's record and mix talents via ichat/ftp/idisk
this has been a great plus in productivity

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com

Revolution

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2005, 08:37:33 PM »

Yeh so I guess making music is more enjoyable and flexible. Hopefully that promotes better songs so more people want to buy them which makes everyone happy.
I was thinking more along technology lines but the above is more important I suppose.

Thanks for info on synths as I have never tried software before.

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2005, 11:59:32 PM »

Ross Hogarth wrote on Wed, 13 July 2005 02:46

...My quality of life has been raised just be the sheer fact that i get more time at home and at other friends homes
and that is a good thing...
This is very true as is the unprecedented possibility of collaboration.

I dropped out of the high profile world in order to "get a life" in the early '70s. Lately I'm really getting to eat my cake and have it too on a level that I never imagined could happen.

Ryan Leigh Patterson

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2005, 03:12:14 PM »

Digital Audio has made leaps and bounds in the last ten years!!  

I know that 2-inch tape sounds great, and I know that good ol' mic pres and Pultecs, Fairchilds etc sound great too, but......digital audio is finally starting to hit it's stride, and I don't see any chance of it slowing down in the next while.  Converters will get better, DSP will get better (think convolution reverb!!) and eventually the final playback medium will be whatever form the consumer wants it in (ie res/low res etc).

I also think that analog electronics have reached the point that electric guitars did in the late 80s.  The classic designs have been proven and generally accepted by the industry and now the are a million variations on the few original themes.  

I think the biggest challange that we face as a community is to try and improve the user end of the audio world.  Never before have so many listend to so much on with so little.  I'm thinking of all the crappy home/multi media/car/portable audio that is made these days.  I love the 50 watt Maranze amplifier and full size 3 way speakers that I grew up with.  It still sounds 100 time better than all of these new mini system pieces of junk.  Heck it sounds 100 times better than most of the the so called "HiFi" garbage in peoples homes.  I'm constanly bombarded with painfully terrible audio everywhere I go.  People are missing out on so much.  Lets hope that all of the massive $3000 plasma screens will soon be joined by $3000(minimum) home systems...

Ryan Patterson
Toronto, Ontario
www.myspace.com/ryanlpatterson

bblackwood

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2005, 04:32:48 PM »

Converters are way better, especially the entry/mid level converters in use in most studios...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Brian Kehew

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2005, 01:40:05 PM »

JJ is right - monitors ARE better. ALmost a certainty.

I believe the selection of good mics is probably unparalleled at this time, and we CAN buy good gear for any stage of recording from the new to used. I remember at AES in 1986 asking if anyone had "tube" gear - only Manley (passive 6-channel mixer for classical), AKG (The Tube), and Tube Tech (EQ) had anything.

Look now... it's not all good, but there is a LOT of good design going on now...
Relax and float downstream...
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.516 seconds with 22 queries.