R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Annoying ProTools experience  (Read 13629 times)

djui5

Re: Annoying ProTools experience
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2005, 03:37:49 PM »

Well isn't this thread humorous.

I don't see how the lack of the feature is such a huge problem. It would take you about the same amount of time, if not longer, to make this edit on tape. Once you get your edit points figured out, all you have to do is switch the playlists and hit delete. Whats the big problem?
Imagine if it automatically deleted all the other playlists also, and you wanted to make a small edit to one playlist but it edited all of them, how pissed would you be then? It's always something isn't it?
I can agree that having this feature would be good and could be used by people, but this is a little overboard.
What seems really funny to me is that someone even of ww's experience getting all flustered and throwing a big fit because he had to make a few extra key strokes. Did you even say you didn't get any more vocal work done that night? That's insane. I mean, if something small like that stops a session, then you need to re-think your working habits.

Throwing a big fit about it on a public forum is even worse.

Have a nice day Smile
Morale of the day? Stop looking at what you're hearing.
yngve hoeyland 07'

Randy Wright
Mix Engineer
Mesa, Arizona

rush909

« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2005, 06:09:25 PM »

djui5 wrote on Tue, 02 August 2005 20:37

Throwing a big fit about it on a public forum is even worse.

Have a nice day Smile

dude... ever heard of "to each his own"?

r.

wwittman

« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2005, 06:48:16 PM »

I hardly think I "threw a big fit" about it, but as you say

to each his own.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

thedoc

« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2005, 09:09:29 PM »

I ran this issue by someone at Digi, so at least they are aware.  I think a menu option for this would be nice to have.
Doc

Dan Zimmerman

Re: PT Playlists
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2005, 12:00:26 PM »

Here's my thought on what would completely solve most problems described on this thread, regarding editting inactive playlists:  An option of not only editting inactive playlists, but also the option on selecting which inactive playlists will be editted.  That way, if you tracked several versions of the basic tracks (drums for example) without a click, you could select those tracks to not be editted and select all the inactive vocal playlists (recorded after the basic tracks) to be editted.  This would give you the option to keep everything sync'd while avoid cutting up original takes that you don't want altered.  Problem solved, now only if I understood code.

I also highly suggest automation playlists as well as region playlists.  That would be beautiful.

...dan...

Tim Gilles

« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2005, 08:14:46 PM »

wwittman wrote on Tue, 02 August 2005 18:48

I hardly think I "threw a big fit" about it, but as you say

to each his own.

No.

It was a BIG FIT.

And you are in real trouble here mister.

You are on the Dean of Disipline's watchlist now.

Don't let me catch you wandering the halls without a pass, either....

Tim "Rumblefish" Gilles

Reitzas

« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2005, 04:38:54 PM »

Here's a simple work-around I use for the playlist issue.

1. Save session before doing edit.
2. Select section to be edited (note the duration of the edit in bars, time or samples)
3. Cut section (not in shuffle-you'll see why later) and paste somewhere much later in the timeline (in case you need to put it back in at some point).
4. Take the left side tracks of the edit and shuffle those over to the right side portion of the edit.  This will leave you with the right side of the edit having the underlying playlists in tact and only the underlying playlists on the left side of the edit will be out of sync.
5. Import Session Data from the saved pre-edit session.  Import the track that has the playlists you want into a New Track and in the 'Session Data to Import' pull down menu make sure you select 'All'. (basically, make sure you have the 'Alternate Playlists' as part of what you are importing.
6. Here's where the trick is.  In the 'Import Session Data' window in the 'Track Offset Options section', add the duration of the deleted section of the song to the start time of the session number (bars, time or samples- For example; if you took out 8 bars of the song and the song started at bar 1, import the track to bar 9).  Now you're ready to hit OK.
7. Now you will have a duplicate of your playlisted track that sync's up to the left side of the edit (including underlying playlists) and for the playlists on the right side of the edit you can use the previously edited track .

The reason why you need to move the tracks on the left side of the edit to the right and not the traditional way of moving the right side forward is because you can't put a negative offset into the Import Session Data window.

I know this sounds confusing but it's actually very simple and very effective in solving the original dilemma that William posed.  I will be happy to answer any questions or elaborate if needed.

Dave Reitzas

Extreme Mixing

« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2005, 11:00:22 AM »

Most Excellent Dave!  I'm going to paste that somewhere.  And after you're finished the edit, you can renumber bars to put the counter back to normal if you want.  In a system as large and complex as Pro Tools, there is almost always a creative work around.  This is a great example of thinking outside the box.  You da man!!!

Steve

zboy2854

« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2005, 12:16:33 PM »

I agree that it would be nice to have the option at least included in PT, but it seems to me that as it stands it shouldn't have been that hard to do the edit.

Just place markers at the edit in and out points, go through each playlist, and select the range between the markers and in shuffle mode hit delete.  Even with 20 vocal playlists it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 19 queries.