R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: surround monitoring via a regular receiver  (Read 1298 times)

genericperson

surround monitoring via a regular receiver
« on: July 10, 2005, 06:18:38 PM »

hello everyone,

i'm looking into having my studio setup for surround.  i've been following the threads on the avocet and stuff, however...

what would be "wrong" with taking something like a $1200-2000 consumer receiver/amp and using that as your monitoring control?

the idea would be to mix digital, and then send the 5.1 outputs out of the daw analog to the analog inputs on the receiver, and then use the receiver to control volume, and compare another source using the aux1 aux2 signals or whatever is in it.

some of those things are rather nice with lots of features and a remote control, etc.  so if you found one with like 105db s/n ratio and .03%thd, etc...

dcollins

Re: surround monitoring via a regular receiver
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 09:38:40 PM »

genericperson wrote on Sun, 10 July 2005 15:18

following the threads on the avocet and stuff, however...
what would be "wrong" with taking something like a $1200-2000 consumer receiver/amp and using that as your monitoring control?

Proably nothing wrong with it.  Providing you can turn off the "Budokan" reverb, etc.

http://www.technofile.com/articles/nakamichi_receiver.html

And it's discrete!

DC

genericperson

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 11:13:57 PM »

thanks for the link on that.  unfortunately, the 80db s/n ratio is scaring me away.  i'd like to find 105db or higher.

not sure of the specs on this one yet, but it has a button on the remote called "dual mono", which could be handy for checking mono compatibility.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/receivers/605sony/

just like the b&2 902's kind of created a windfall effect by providing a reference-grade translatable speaker setup for ME's, i'm guessing there must be some kick-butt consumer reciever that will provide a similar windfall for a mastering setup.  maybe not ultimate-top-grade, but something darn good.

lsimy

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 01:53:56 PM »

I agree that there is nothing wrong with that for the time being. Ultimately having a multi-channel power section and a high-end decoder would be best.

No reason why you could not go from your converter or go optical/coax to a 5.1 receiver or integrated amp as long as you remember they tend to color the signal quite a bit. Many of them out of the box have a bit of a preset scoop in the mids.

An older Onkyo, HK or even an Outlaw Audio 1050 would be great places to start. I love my Onkyo. It's ancient, weighs a ton and for a quick demo, it's discrete power section sounds pretty good.
Vinnie @ Little Simy
Alexandria, VA

mikepecchio

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 05:31:33 PM »

genericperson wrote on Sun, 10 July 2005 23:13

thanks for the link on that.  unfortunately, the 80db s/n ratio is scaring me away.  i'd like to find 105db or higher.

I wouldn't worry about that spec.  they don't specify the operating level or the headroom. so the dynamic range, what you really care about, is still unknown.

mike p
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 19 queries.