R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DAW advise from a flustered new band  (Read 4024 times)

JuiceFriend

Re: DAW advise from a flustered new band
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2005, 07:56:05 AM »

no, the label basically said, we're small, you guys tend to experiment a lot... since you're 99% electronic and only record vocals occasionally, get the basics into the computer using whatever, and we'll spend the money on mixing.  the label suggested getting good gear and then going from there... i think the label is worried that we'll return with some random assortment of stuff that isn't an album, and being small, they can't afford to spend and spend on that premise--which makes sense to me, although i'm sure professional big-league labels don't do that... having said that, we like our labelmates and find that they are typically well regarded and received on the basis of reputation and quality, so that's our trade-off...

I'm not sure where the 2000 dollars came from, if i said that, my bad--on another note, our band wrote a song that's more or less inspired by time after time...  we'd like to send you a link, but you'd probably be horrified that your work inspired that piece of electronic excess...

JuiceFriend

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2005, 08:03:15 AM »

sorry brandon, my post referred to ww's post--thanks for your advise--i think the label just threw out a random dollar amount, the implication being that we should stop recording into a usb mic...  another one of their bands used a set-up that totalled up to about 5000 or 7000 bucks and they've made a recording that sounded quite nice and didn't get any diss's (audio quality wise) from the major magazines or websites... i think that's where my labelhead got that idea...  totally random figure.. and you're right on target--we're mostly electronic, so that's why it doesn't worry me as much that we're doing this DYI style, since most electronic music is done that way anyway these days as far as i can tell--everyone from matthew herbert to juan atkins... we have an sm57 but we're curious if the impact will be better with a nicer mic.. or two, if the 1000 mark is totally random

j.hall

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2005, 02:57:12 PM »

i've stayed out of this for a good 16 posts.....

i hate diving into advise like this cause it's so ambiguous and doesn't ever really seem to be that useful to the person needing help.

IMO, you need to really look at what your band does, what other bands that are similar in style to you guys do, and how that is best approached from a recording standpoint.

MANY strichly electronic (keyboards, synth, drum machines) bands record themselves.....the players are usually more tech savy and can pull it off easily.

paying a lot of money for a mixer to mix your record won't necessarily yield greater results if you tracked every thing poorly.....then again, if you track things well, it could be a great idea.

about software and hardware.....man, that's a deep abyss i don't even have time to know myself, let alone offer advise to another about.

i guess if i had to come up with something i'd probably recommend an Mbox or digi 002 so you can be more compatible with the majority of "pro" studios and mixers out there.

just make sure you read all these post through a hefty "grain of salt" filter.....it doesn't really matter what any one person on here tells you what to buy or do, you have to do the research and make the decision on your own.

if every post was telling you the exact same thing then i might be more inclined to believe it.........
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 17 queries.