R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: "attended" mastering sessions  (Read 7584 times)

genericperson

"attended" mastering sessions
« on: July 05, 2005, 06:34:44 PM »

does every mastering house offer clients the opportunity to sit-in on the mastering session?

i would find it a bit annoying, personally.  but i'm not even pro yet, so i have no clout at all!

George Thorogood drinks alone, and I'd prefer to work alone  Cool

bigaudioblowhard

Re: "attended" mastering sessions
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 07:35:11 PM »

I'm afraid we do, but we're still trying new ways to discourage it. I've stopped shaving and tried to get into some embarassing arguments with my ex-wife on the phone while people are in. Even charging more for attended sessions doesnt help. But it does make one work faster.

MASSIVE Mastering

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 09:57:37 PM »

I'm probably 80% unattended and I'd swap it in a heartbeat.  

Not that I mind working alone - I even take advantage of it to dial it in, and maybe come back to it the next day if need be.  Being able to walk away when you're not "primed" can be great, but it can also come back to bite you - You've got to get the stuff out.  You can't dwell on it and second-guess everything.  The time-chunks are huge waiting for returned calls and e-mail (which is EXACTLY what I'm doing right at this very moment while a project is sitting here and I'm losing time).  

But when they're there - It's true - You get finished in half the time.  No guessing what they're looking for (they're right behind you!), no phone calls or e-mails to figure out if "that noise" is there on purpose or if it was a f-up.  Instant feedback.  

S'wonderful, S'marvelous.  
John Scrip
Massive Mastering - Chicago (Schaumburg / Hoffman Est.), IL - USA

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 11:47:55 PM »

genericperson wrote on Tue, 05 July 2005 17:34

does every mastering house offer clients the opportunity to sit-in on the mastering session?

i would find it a bit annoying, personally.  but i'm not even pro yet, so i have no clout at all!

George Thorogood drinks alone, and I'd prefer to work alone  Cool

50/50 for us attended/unattended, personally I like having clients here to get instant feedback about sequence, spacing, CD text, watching them smile, etc.

I got to play pool with George Thorogood once back in 1979 back at the original Stubb's BBQ in Lubbock... alot of the blues greats use to stop by for great Q !
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Norwood

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 01:13:21 AM »

Oh Stubb's...!
I grew up on that stuff.  Of course the bbq in austin's not to bad either.  Everytime I'm there Rudy's is on my list.

...back to the mastering discussion.
Michael Norwood
Wood Bros. Productions

jazzius

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 03:30:58 AM »

97% attended......i believe you (i) get better results with attended sessions.....speshly if you have bad-boy monitoring......

JGreenslade

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 06:02:43 AM »

Unless you know the ME very well, unattended cuts are potentially suicidal.

If the ME has "ESP" or is Psychic, maybe unattended cuts are the way to go...

I guess you can write down thorough instructions, but unless you refrain entirely from "subjective" descriptions there's always going to be scope for misunderstanding - i.e. one man's idea of "dynamically intact" maybe another's idea of "pancaked" etc etc.

There are MEs I would trust 100% for unattended cuts, but that's only after using them a handful of times for attended cuts - it's a rapport / trust thing.

Justin
Audio is a vocational affliction

"there is no "homeopathic" effect in bits and bytes." - HansP

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 10:14:38 AM »

I think attended ones tend to come out better although I do 90% unattended.

carlsaff

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 01:27:50 PM »

What Bob said.

To that I would add that my "redo" occurence rate is about the same with both types of sessions. In other words, I don't find that the percentage of attended sessions resulting in additional work once the band has evaluated the master to be any higher than that for unattended sessions (I think this is the expectation).

To the original poster: I wouldn't advise setting up your studio in such a way that attended sessions are difficult or impossible. You'll find that certain clients will demand that they attend, and you won't enjoy losing the job when you tell them they can't.

Bob Boyd

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2005, 02:38:51 PM »

Most people just want me to post files for review on my ftp.  Even my in-town clients come to think of it.

Most of my sessions are unattended now but there is a certain satisfaction that can happen when they come to a session.  It also usually helps the client understand what was and was not possible and why.
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

http://ambientdigital.com
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital

Twitter: @bobboyd

Look, I know it's mean.  But sometimes the end justifies the mean.

Sonovo

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 04:13:05 PM »

I'd say about 70% attended.

I prefer it actually, it avoids a multitude of hassle, the client can help clear up any misunderstandings right there, and they get what they want the first time instead of (possibly) having to come back. Plus it gives them a big smile when they hear their mixes up on the big monitors as we dial things in. A great marketing device Rolling Eyes.

For clients I've done a lot of work with previously, in general we know each other well enough that I know what they want when the call comes in and they explain what they're aiming for in the release (i.e. I "understand their language", since everyone explains things differently - you'd be amazed how many bands show up and say they want a really "dynamic" master, when in fact they want a loud-as-h*ll master with absolutely NO dynamics Razz).

For new clients, I encourage them to attend if possible, and most do.

Cheers,
Thor

jfrigo

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2005, 05:14:54 PM »

It used to be mostly attended when I started, but over time, attendance has slowly been decreasing. Recently the attendance has dropped way off to the 50/50 mark mainly because I've moved out of the big city into a very pleasant rural setting. I've been pleased how many people are still sending work, now unattended, even though I've moved, and quite pleasantly surprised how many people are driving long distances to be present. They're coming from several states all around, sometimes a full day's drive, and getting a hotel or staying with regional friends. Luckily when the new room is finished, there will be attached accommadations for out of town clients, so that will be even better for everyone. This willingness to travel shows an appreciation for what I do and a commitment to their project that really makes me want to go the extra mile for them.

Allen Corneau

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2005, 04:12:36 PM »

We're about 90% attended.

I like having them there for instant feedback, plus it's easier to create a good relationship with new clients.

The clients usually like the fact that they feel involved in their project.

I think the best way to go for me is where they come in and we get things "roughed in". Then they go away for a while (lunch, errands, etc.) and come back in when I've got it where I think it should be. After a listen-through and approval, we crank it out and cut a ref. (If you haven't figured it out, I'm a "process on loop-through" guy!)

Works for me! Surprised
Allen
---
Allen Corneau
Mastering Engineer
Essential Sound Mastering
www.esmastering.com

Ed Littman

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2005, 04:35:27 PM »

For the longest time I to small of a room to really have clients feel comfortable, so I would detour them from sitting in. The times they did sit in we did get to what they wanted faster.

Now with my new room I want all my clients to sit in. it sounds great looks great & is very comfortable to work & hang in! pix on the way.
Ed

Thomas W. Bethel

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2005, 06:42:06 AM »

I prefer to have clients in attendance.

This is for three reasons.

1. Immediate feedback from the client.

2. Problems can be worked out in real time.

3. The client and their checkbook are there when the session is done, so you don't have to wait for mastered CD to reach the client and then have to wait to get paid.

Most of our sessions are attended. We do not charge extra for this service. We have found over the years that the benefits of attended sessions far out weight the problems with having a client at the session(s).

Recently I had a client that did not have time to attend the mastering session. He sent his bass player to sit in. The bass player likes BASS so the resulting master was had more bass than the client wanted so we wound up doing the mastering two times.

I think it is important to have the decision maker/ money person at the session(s) so there are no problems or questions afterwords. I believe very strongly in the *WYHIWYG principal when it comes to mastering.

We also did a mastering for a group that had "internal personal and artistic problems" and they all attended the session(s). All they did was fight the whole time they were here mastering. The group broke up shortly after their album was mastered. Each of the members of the group came back after the group mastering session to have their OWN mastering done so I got to do five mastering sessions for one project.

FWIW and MTCW

*What you hear is what you get
-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Ronny

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2005, 07:08:36 AM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Wed, 06 July 2005 10:14

I'm about 85% non attended. Most of my clients I haven't met in person. I feel that I do better work when I'm by myself. It's hard for me to get on a roll when I have a client that wants me to explain everything that I'm doing, it slows progress down and takes concentration away. Especially when I'm tailing a fade and listening to very minute levels and they are jabbering away. I find that when I do the project, than they review it, I have to make less changes than if they attend.

Tom, I don't let the master leave my hands until I'm paid in full, that's listed in my contract, so I don't have the problem of not getting paid. I also require half payment on the estimate, before I start.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

Technotechno

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2005, 07:26:54 AM »

Theres an in house mastering engineer in holland I used a couple of times.  I attended twice and was told he only had fifteen minutes to spare despite booking one hour. Happened both times. Obviously he was uncomfortable with attented sessions. which I can understand/

Maybe this is something to do with the fact he used an Alesis Quadraverbs digital ins and outs as his convertors. He played the tracks from CD, patched in to the qudraverb and cut the plate there and then. I dont know if this is standard DA convertors in ME houses, but I didnt like it. Still, th ecuts did come out fine.

Another couple of times in London, it was again obvious the ME's didnt like me attending so its quite good to hear that you guys prefer attented sessions.

Smile

Ps
I edited this post after realising it was rather uncool to name the mastering house

lucey

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2005, 09:23:14 AM »

mostly unattended ... with files by FTP back and forth

yet having clients here is usually good for them and disrupts nothing for me

either way works, as long as it's the right way for that project.
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown

Thomas W. Bethel

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2005, 02:48:41 PM »

Ronny wrote on Sat, 09 July 2005 07:08

I'm about 85% non attended. Most of my clients I haven't met in person. I feel that I do better work when I'm by myself. It's hard for me to get on a roll when I have a client that wants me to explain everything that I'm doing, it slows progress down and takes concentration away. Especially when I'm tailing a fade and listening to very minute levels and they are jabbering away. I find that when I do the project, than they review it, I have to make less changes than if they attend.

Tom, I don't let the master leave my hands until I'm paid in full, that's listed in my contract, so I don't have the problem of not getting paid. I also require half payment on the estimate, before I start.

Different strokes for different mastering situations.

I personally do not have a problem with clients in attendance at a mastering session UNLESS they are asking me a lot of questions or want to write everything down that I do (just for the record-sure right - and so they can do their own mastering the next time around <grin>)

I had a problems recently with a client that had sent me some work to do and he and I were obviously listening to different monitoring setups since he was hearing the polar opposites of what I was hearing. At one point I asked him to check the phase on both speaker since the comments he was sending me would lead me to believe he was listening on out of phase speakers. I kept doing what he asked and he kept saying I was going the wrong way. I put in a lot of time and energy into the project, just as I do for every project, but he and I were NOT hearing the same signal and the long distance communication and lack of a unified listening setup was hindering the whole project. He finally admitted he was listening to the material on his computer speakers which "simulated" surround sound and in his car in rush hour traffic. Since this was "world music" and featured lots of acoustical instruments and since he did not want me to "over compress it" I did what he told me to do. I have worked with this particular musician before and was very pleased with the professional relationship we had during that previous mastering experience. After this go round I would not consider doing any of his work again UNLESS he and I were in the same room.

How you guys do it by "remote control" is a mystery to me and I stand in awe of your prowess in mastering with out a client present.

-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Nathan Eldred

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2005, 12:32:00 AM »

All unattended here.  I like being able to work at leasure, and take breaks when I want to and come back to it with fresh ears and brain....maybe in an hour, maybe in 6 hours after taking a hop over to Disney World for the evening.  They can demand tweaks the day after after they play it for every family member, friend, and internet forum member. Rolling Eyes  
Nathan Eldred

The Store:

AtlasProAudio.com

The Studio:

AtlasRecording.com

Ronny

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2005, 06:46:52 PM »

Thomas W. Bethel wrote on Sat, 09 July 2005 14:48

Ronny wrote on Sat, 09 July 2005 07:08

Different strokes for different mastering situations.

I personally do not have a problem with clients in attendance at a mastering session UNLESS they are asking me a lot of questions or want to write everything down that I do (just for the record-sure right - and so they can do their own mastering the next time around <grin>)

I had a problems recently with a client that had sent me some work to do and he and I were obviously listening to different monitoring setups since he was hearing the polar opposites of what I was hearing. At one point I asked him to check the phase on both speaker since the comments he was sending me would lead me to believe he was listening on out of phase speakers. I kept doing what he asked and he kept saying I was going the wrong way. I put in a lot of time and energy into the project, just as I do for every project, but he and I were NOT hearing the same signal and the long distance communication and lack of a unified listening setup was hindering the whole project. He finally admitted he was listening to the material on his computer speakers which "simulated" surround sound and in his car in rush hour traffic. Since this was "world music" and featured lots of acoustical instruments and since he did not want me to "over compress it" I did what he told me to do. I have worked with this particular musician before and was very pleased with the professional relationship we had during that previous mastering experience. After this go round I would not consider doing any of his work again UNLESS he and I were in the same room.

How you guys do it by "remote control" is a mystery to me and I stand in awe of your prowess in mastering with out a client present.

FTP works wonders for receiving material, sending the refs and the final after any client requested retweaks, Tom. You can down or upload at the same time you read this newsgroup. I have return clients in Oz, Scandinavia, Europe, Japan, London and other cities in the UK, a couple in South America, no way that all can attend. The farthest that attends is a fellow in Greenville SC, he drives 12 hours round trip and stays a couple of days. Local jobs come mostly from self producing bands and I also do remote recording for the local high school bands and a couple of orchestras. That makes up the other 15%. Brunswick and surrounding islands only have 70,000 peeps and too small to support a large music scene, most of my work comes from people on my recording newsgroups and from people that have heard their cd's. Last count I had just under 5,000 members, everything from home recordists to a few pro facilities. If I remember correctly, you come from a small town yourself, how you get enough local mastering work, not being in a large city is what mystifies me.  Smile
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------