R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audience Enhancements for Live Recording  (Read 1625 times)

Baggman

Audience Enhancements for Live Recording
« on: July 05, 2005, 03:37:57 PM »

After finishing the overdubs on a live project, I'm looking at doing some audience enhancements. It seems that just having a good live audience isn't enough anymore (for some clients, at least). We recorded a group live last fall directly to my hard disc recorder. We recorded 20 tracks of instruments and 4 tracks of audience. Since then, we have transferred everything to my PC (Nuendo) and have finished the overdubs. In some parts the audience sounds really good and gives some great ambience. However, there are parts where more cheering would add to the excitment. In other parts, we can't use the audience for a variety of reasons. It looks like the stakes have been turned up as a group this band really looks up to recently released a "live" CD where the audience was tuned and timed (singing on key and clapping on beat).

How do you tune the audience? Would it be best to use Melodyne or Autotune or is there another way to do this where you don't actually tune the audience tracks?

The same goes for the clapping. Is there a sample library or program to create audience clapping?

Any good sample libraries for audience cheering. (The original audiences was about 200+ people so if I put in a 10,000 person audience, I'm concerned that it won't sound realistic).

Are there people in the industry the specialize in doing this kind of work?

Any suggestions on this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Loco

Re: Audience Enhancements for Live Recording
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 05:07:56 PM »

Baggman wrote on Tue, 05 July 2005 15:37

How do you tune the audience? Would it be best to use Melodyne or Autotune or is there another way to do this where you don't actually tune the audience tracks?  

Just record a bunch of people at your studio singing on the right tune in 4 tracks and blend it with the original audience.

Quote:

The same goes for the clapping. Is there a sample library or program to create audience clapping?  

The good thing about crowd clapping is its randomness. something a sample can't do. Get the same people that sung in tune and make them clap in time in 4 tracks.

Quote:

Any good sample libraries for audience cheering. (The original audiences was about 200+ people so if I put in a 10,000 person audience, I'm concerned that it won't sound realistic).

There are sample libaries with different crowd sizes. You can go to a church and record their cheers as well... with 1 minute you should be good for a full hour.
Carlos "El Loco" Bedoya

"There's no right, there's no wrong. There's only popular opinion"   Jeffrey Goines
http://www.tukanart.com

Baggman

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 03:50:44 PM »

Jeffrey,
Thanks for the ideas.  I think I'll try bringing a group in to the studio and seeing if I can record some parts that will give good enhancement.  I'm also going to contact some other studio owners I know to see if they're familiar with Audience Sweeteners.

Geoff

Ronny

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 02:31:25 AM »

Baggman wrote on Thu, 07 July 2005 15:50

Jeffrey,
Thanks for the ideas.  I think I'll try bringing a group in to the studio and seeing if I can record some parts that will give good enhancement.  I'm also going to contact some other studio owners I know to see if they're familiar with Audience Sweeteners.

Geoff

You can also take the applause from several songs or out takes that aren't going to be used, mix them together and apply them to a single tune. If you slightly offset the timelines and take out a whistle or two here and there, it won't sound like the same crowd noise and you can use the multiple tracked audience on all of the songs. One advantage to this technique rather than using canned applause is that it's still the band's real audience, just beefed up a little by the engineer.  Smile
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------