R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: neotek elan, otari status, Soundtracs Solitaire, trident series 65/75, Amek.......Oram??  (Read 29870 times)

Benmrx

Brian - Thanks for the info.  Makes sense to me.  Is that a way to cut costs down?

Brian Roth

Benmrx wrote on Wed, 06 July 2005 00:44

Brian - Thanks for the info.  Makes sense to me.  Is that a way to cut costs down?

It does simplify the mechanical design since the modules don't have to slide into VERY carefully-positioned motherboard connectors.

I'm somewhat "agnostic" on the subject.  Classic boards like Neves, etc used a "hard mother board", but as time progressed, so did the problems.  The sagging frame of a Neve 8068 comes to mind.

Bri

Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
www.BrianRoth.com

George_

sorry, but where do you buy (USED) consoles?

"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola

t(h)ik

I used to be self effacing, but I couldn't even do that right....
www.pmtstudios.com

George_

once again, thanx a lot tik:)

"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola

Benmrx

TIK - nice links, thank you for sharing.

Brian - I thought that might be it.  I'm no tech, by any stretch of the imagination, but I would think that all around using ribbon cables would be a better way to integrate each channel.  Even if it means replacing a ribbon here and there.  It just seems very practical to me.

BTW, I thought this was funny:  I went and bought the nicest gold CD-R to burn the final mix for a client.  And my Mac PB Ti G4 on OS9 wouldn't even recognize the gold CD-R.  I went upstairs to a friend who just bought a new G5 Dual 2.7 with Tiger, and it worked just fine.  I guess my computer is OFFICIALLY out-dated.  

meverylame

The man to talk to about Soundtracs consoles in the US is Steve Magalnick, the only authorized Soundtracs tech left in America. Great guy. I own a Soundtracs Topaz, which by no means is in the same league as to what you're referring to. PM for his contact info.

Also one thing that I don't believe anyone else has noted is that Neotek is still producing consoles. So parts, service etc. are still available from the maker. So thats a major plus on the Neotek end.
Food for thought mobstahs...
Cheers!
Jason Kingsland

http://www.jasonruinsrecords.com

drumsound

Benmrx,

A couple things based on your posts.

1) On checking the console out, hire a tech that is local to the console who you can trust.  My Neotek was in Denton Texas and I emailed Harvey Gerst and he gave me a number of a guy who was good.  I felt it worth the money he charged me to look at the console and for his travel to know the thing was worth buying.

2) Hard motherboards.  I had movers ruin a console in a local move because two motherboards got cracked internally.  Luckily the Neotek had ribbon cables and it was mover from Texas to Illinois with no problems.  Just something to think about if you're having something shipped.

tom eaton

Otari comments:

The Status18r is a pretty different board from the Concept and Concept Elite.  The Concepts have two 100mm fader paths and two eqs per module, the Elite has two four band eqs, mid bands parametric,  and 10 sends on 8 knobs, per module.  A 24 module Elite console (like the one I have) has 48 inputs, 48 4 band eqs, 24 hi- and lo-pass sweepable filters, and complete automation (either VCA, or VCA with moving faders).  The Concept does not have the parametric eqs that the Elite has. The Status has one 100mm fader and one 60mm fader, one eq and 8 aux sends per module.  All the consoles have "image recall" which allows nearly every knob on the control surface to be recalled manually to a stored value.   Works well...takes me less than 10 minutes to recall my board.  

Brian-

The modules do, in fact, have a finicky fit into a card (the Quad Channel Processor card) at the rear end of the module...the bulk of the audio is carried on the ribbons though.

I think the mic pres are actually pretty decent...the EQs are functional, no particular magic.

The strength of the Otaris is the recall...and the master section control of the console.  Two or three botton pushes in the master section can reconfigure the entire console, really nice.  You can also bypass the VCAs...viola, instant summing mixer with pans.  

These things run warm!

-tom

jaguarsg

are the channel strips swappable in the concepts and elites?

can i put an elite strip in a concept 1 and have it be functional or are there modifications that have to be done?

tom eaton

You can put an Elite module in a Concept 1 if you have the right software loaded in the computer.  You configure the software to recognize the particular modules and their locations in the frame.  There were stereo, aux, standard w/mic pre, and dual line input modules made, and any of those can be dropped in if you want to go reconfig the setup files in the computer.

I have an Otari page on my site:

http://www.thomaseaton.com/otari

It has a bunch of basic info.

t
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.