R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: whats the best way to test a EQ  (Read 5593 times)

aivoryuk

Re: whats the best way to test a EQ
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2005, 12:02:18 PM »

sounds like a good idea jerry

i'll try and find 3 songs of a different genre and use the eq's to find which gives the best results

cheers for the suggestion

alex   Smile

jlapointe

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2005, 08:49:53 PM »

JayTea wrote on Wed, 06 July 2005 12:43

Select 3 songs to Master that need a fair amount of work to sound good.

I would also suggest testing the eqs on a mix that is nearly perfect - just needing a little touchup eq.  See if the eqs can get in and do the job without messing anything else up.

aivoryuk

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2005, 06:34:43 AM »

JLaPointe wrote on Thu, 07 July 2005 01:49

I would also suggest testing the eqs on a mix that is nearly perfect - just needing a little touchup eq.  See if the eqs can get in and do the job without messing anything else up.

thanks for that, i did that last night, got a CD in my collection which is more is prob a first generation CD copy literally where the engineer has just played the master mix tape to cd and just inserted track marks, its a perfect mix that just needs a little modernisation.

the results I done were very surprising

I will post them once i've finished my findings as i think it will make for interesting reading

ammitsboel

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2005, 08:30:45 AM »

aivoryuk wrote on Thu, 07 July 2005 11:34

JLaPointe wrote on Thu, 07 July 2005 01:49

thanks for that, i did that last night, got a CD in my collection which is more is prob a first generation CD copy literally where the engineer has just played the master mix tape to cd and just inserted track marks, its a perfect mix that just needs a little modernisation.

the results I done were very surprising

I will post them once i've finished my findings as i think it will make for interesting reading

Oh, I kind of like those first generation transfers to CD that hasn't been messed up!
"The male brain is designed for ecstasy" -Dr. Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg

bobkatz

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2005, 07:45:18 PM »

JLaPointe wrote on Wed, 06 July 2005 20:49

JayTea wrote on Wed, 06 July 2005 12:43

Select 3 songs to Master that need a fair amount of work to sound good.

Good test! We want to know two things about an EQ:

1) How transparent it is OR

2) If it is not transparent, how nice it sounds!
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Ronny

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2005, 02:10:26 AM »

OTR-jkl wrote on Tue, 05 July 2005 21:28

Ronny wrote on Tue, 05 July 2005 18:11

I've never been able to hit it hard for perceived gain and gotten a satisfactory sound.

What kind of GR do you see on the VW meters when you "hit it hard" by your definition? I'm also curious where you set the Sat. knobs...

Regarding turning the Drive way down and the Ceiling up, I think I would rather attenuate the signal somewhere else rather than at the VW. FWIW, I usually use my tube convertor to make up as much gain as I can in the analog realm so when the signal hits the VW, its already pretty hot and I don't have to make it work very hard at all - almost always < 1 dB of GR...

I don't have gr meters only VU meters and not sure what you mean by Sat knobs. I find the VU meters to be lacking and slow. If you mean Sat = saturation, that's done with the ceiling.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------