R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: whats the best way to test a EQ  (Read 5570 times)

aivoryuk

whats the best way to test a EQ
« on: July 04, 2005, 01:44:51 PM »

this may seem like a stupid question

but i'm the quest to find the eq plugins that i want to use for my mastering. At the moment i can't afford hardware so they are not a option at the mo Smile

the problem is there are soo many to choose from. so what i want to do is to narrow them down. You may think that having every EQ under the sun would be great but i think it may hinder having too much choice.
im going for 2 surgical eq's and then 2 more sweeter ones.

so are there are tests that you might do (apart from listening to them) to show the real quality of a plugin. maybe pushing them hard i'm not sure

any advice would be great fully received
thanks

Alex

bblackwood

Re: whats the best way to test a EQ
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 04:43:07 PM »

Regardless of whether it's hardware or software, if you can't boost more than a dB or two at say, 10kHz without it getting harsh, keep looking. That's an easy test that most seem to fail on, ime...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Ronny

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 04:47:50 PM »

Give them the EQ-IQ test.  Very Happy

For surgical try the linear phase eq's, for sweetness try to find a way to go analog. Can't have too many eq's though, if you are working on a wide variety of music. If you simply can't afford at least one annie eq the PSP Vintage Warmer may help you get a little sweetness in the digital domain, if you spend some time tweaking it and don't hit the drive too hard. Auditioning the Waves LPEQ broadband, the LPEQ lowband and the PSP, would be a good starting point for your plug-in search, IMO.

------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

aivoryuk

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 06:11:46 AM »

thanks for the replies

I will certainley try what you have suggested brad

Also Ronny thanks for your suggestions Iwould love to go analogue but sadly its not viable at the mo Sad, I do have the waves lineq and these will be part of my surgical eq's as i do think it is good at what it can do. Would love to try the algorithmix ones as i know a lot of good things are being said about these.

I also like the JMS hi resoultion EQ for surgical, this sounds quite clean to me and is quite flexible.

for my more sweeter one im going between below

PSP masterQ, I like the sound of it but its very fiddly to use.

the sonalksis is also very good and not as fiddly as the PSP.

I've tried the vintage warmer in the last few days and have found to get the best out of it is to use it subtley unless im after a pumping effect.

well i shall continue experimenting and if anybody else has anymore suggestions for testing or EQ's to try out then please feel free to suggest

thanks

OTR-jkl

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 10:22:02 AM »

aivoryuk -
What do you find "fiddly" about the PSP MasterQ? and how are you using/setting the VW that makes it pump?

Ronny -
What do you consider "hitting the drive too hard" on the PSP VW?
J Lowes · OTR Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life
www.ShoutLife.com/OTRMastering

aivoryuk

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 10:39:44 AM »

Hi OTR

the main thing i find fiddly with the psp masterq is that the when boosting or cutting its not done in 1/2 db increments so when moving the mouse it takes more time to get the exact amount of boost/cut that i want.

regarding the VW, i've not had it long so have not had time to really experiment but i would prob use it as the last thing as it is consider a limiter as well as a compressor. even on the default settings as soon as i move the knee dial i can hear it pumping even when i back the drive dial off,
if im using it wrong then please enlighten me Smile

jlapointe

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 12:50:32 PM »

aivoryuk wrote on Tue, 05 July 2005 07:11

if anybody else has anymore suggestions for testing or EQ's to try out then please feel free to suggest

For a colourful plugin eq, try the Hydratone.  

http://www.tritonedigital.com/hydratone.htm#lowdown

Noiseflaw

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2005, 01:11:55 PM »

JLaPointe wrote on Tue, 05 July 2005 17:50

aivoryuk wrote on Tue, 05 July 2005 07:11

if anybody else has anymore suggestions for testing or EQ's to try out then please feel free to suggest

For a colourful plugin eq, try the Hydratone.  

http://www.tritonedigital.com/hydratone.htm#lowdown

Yes do try it Hydratone  ...for character it is the absolute best - imo, (4 Convolved Eq models to choose from Amek 9098, Avalon 737Sp, API 550b, FocusriteISA 110 - also try Eqium/Firium for precision.
Peace...

Ronny

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2005, 01:13:44 PM »

OTR-jkl wrote on Tue, 05 July 2005 10:22

aivoryuk -
What do you find "fiddly" about the PSP MasterQ? and how are you using/setting the VW that makes it pump?

Ronny -
What do you consider "hitting the drive too hard" on the PSP VW?

The drive knob is really the input gain, rather than just a processor input attenuator it allows boosting the input by a tremendous amount, IIRC up to +24dB. The ceiling control is where I can get the most artifact free annie type sound from, as it controls output and saturation algo's. If you hit the drive too hard you are boosting the signal before any processing is performed and if your material is already close to zero, you will be processing the over -0dBFs signal with not much turn of the drive knob past 12 o'clock. While processing over -0dBFS in a 32 float system doesn't really clip the signal until it outputs to a DAC, I find that almost all processors operate better when input level doesn't exceed -0dBFs. Try backing off the drive and making up gain with the ceiling on the post processed signal, for a smoother analog sound. You won't clip the output with the ceiling knob, it will bring the RMS up and not peak up past -0dBFs. They are getting better with the tube and tape emulation programs, but still no cigar compared to real analog, I seldom use the VM, but it's one of the best plugs for adding warmth if you are remaining in the digital realm, IMHO.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------