R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Please bash this before it's mastered  (Read 4251 times)

jimmyjazz

Re: Please bash this before it's mastered
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2005, 04:48:23 PM »

I like the new mix as well.  The snare drum sounds much better.  How hard are you hitting the compressor on the snare?  It seems pretty flattened.  Maybe that's just the player.

I forgot to mention, I really like the Cure-esque chimey guitars on this song.  They mix nicely with the heavy L/R guitar parts.  Good job.

By the way, the singer sounds like Geddy Lee.  And some of the lyrics are nearly as goofy as Neal Peart's.  You held out on us . . . this is Rush, isn't it?  (Just kidding.)

Also, there is an audible unmuting of a string on one guitar right before the song begins.  Do you want that to be heard?

bobkatz

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2005, 12:00:17 PM »

brandondrury wrote on Wed, 29 June 2005 11:12

Hey dudes,

I suck and I'm not even sure why (except for maybe poor acoustics, inexperience, etc).  I'll be sending this off for mastering in a day or two and I want to make sure that any glaring problems are taken care of.

Bash the hell out of this mix for me.
http://www.echoechostudios.com/Supposition.mp3

I did make this one louder by abusing a compressor and a Waves L2 limiter.  I'm not a mastering engineer and have no aspiration to do so.  

Brandon

If you want to get rid of any "glaring problems" start by getting rid of the stuff that makes it sound bad and limits the mastering engineer. If anyone is going to ruin your recording, let it be the mastering engineer Smile.

But seriously folks. In the mix, get rid of the L2 across the buss. And use only the amount of compression that glues your mix together and makes it sound good without losing the life or the dynamics. Get rid of any part of the compression that you may have used to "make it louder" and turn up your your monitor volume control to make it louder.

That's it in a nutshell.... the rest is part of the art of critical listening because it's impossible to express in words what a good, finished mix should sound like. There may be some help in that respect by dropping in at the Honor Roll at www.digido.com. It's the best set of examples I can give you. I wish I could put up some more hip hop examples at digido, but all I have lately are raw, decent mixes that the clients have asked me to ruin in the mastering. And I mean "ruin", where the bass drum sounds wimpy and has no impact and I could go on, where basically the master sounds worse than the mix.
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Ronny

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2005, 12:29:05 PM »

BK wrote:

"But seriously folks. In the mix, get rid of the L2 across the buss. And use only the amount of compression that glues your mix together and makes it sound good without losing the life or the dynamics. Get rid of any part of the compression that you may have used to "make it louder" and turn up your your monitor volume control to make it louder.

That's it in a nutshell...."

And that is it in a nutshell, don't destroy the dynamics to a state that ties the hands of the mastering engineer. I hear mix engineers all of the time ask how much headroom to leave, -3dB, -6dB etc. More important than headroom (as long as you don't go over -0dBFs) is footroom and how much dynamic range is left for the ME to effectively master a project. Good advice, Bob.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------