R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How many still edit analog with a razor blade?  (Read 8692 times)

acorec

How many still edit analog with a razor blade?
« on: June 30, 2005, 11:04:50 AM »

A question I would like answers to. How many of you guys still cut tape? I would imagine that a DAW and digital editing saves tons of $$$, but, do studios still cut tape?

J.J. Blair

Re: How many still edit analog with a razor blade?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 11:22:10 AM »

I sometimes splice takes together on the 2" when called for.  I know that Nick Launay does lots of splicing with 2".
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

electrical

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 11:33:37 AM »

I do, every time. Pocket knives are too unreliable.
best,

steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electrical dot com
www.electrical.com

Greg Reierson

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 11:41:26 AM »

electrical wrote on Thu, 30 June 2005 10:33

I do, every time. Pocket knives are too unreliable.

HAR!

GR
------------------------------
Rare Form Mastering
Minneapolis, MN

Rail Jon Rogut

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 11:43:35 AM »

The recently released Ry Cooder "Chavez Ravine" album I recorded was tracked to 2" and I did some edits (although I had a hard time finding a grease pencil at the studio).

Rail
Recording Engineer

www.platinumsamples.com

Engineered Drums for BFD & Superior Drummer 2.0

Sarusan

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 03:48:24 PM »

The last time was a year ago.  Wish it were more often.  I tell you, after splicing together a 2" master you feel like you've done something.  Don't think that you ever get that feeling of satisfaction with a DAW.

Another interesting thing I've noticed is that artists respond really strongly to it.  They see the blade and suddenly they're making a "real" record instead of continuing the demo.

Steven

Plush

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 04:17:11 PM »

Definitely still cutting tape here--1/4" and 1/2".
Doing it for convenience, time saving and because I've always done it.

Hudsonek
Hudson Fair
Atelier HudSonic, Chicago

http://www.myspace.com/hudsonek

Matthew J Barnhart

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2005, 04:37:16 PM »

I'm a relatively young buck (28), and I edit 2" tape whenever necessary during tracking, and 1/4" during every mixing session. I've never bounced anything from the 2" to the DAW for editing, then back to tape either.

It's plenty fast for me and the bands I work with, and considering the amount of editing I'm doing the cost isn't any more than it would be using a DAW.

Then again, I'm not making disco records.

mb

Greg Youngman

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2005, 05:29:33 PM »

I'm an old guy (52).  I like the pocket knife answer!!!  I wonder now, if we'll get into a "what razor blades are the best" thread??

I learned how to edit tape at about the age of 10.  The guy had Ampex ½" 3 track and 350 2 tracks.  God, those were fun times!  
Web Site
My Space
Blog

"Everyone's a guitar player... everyone's a mastering engineer." 1995 - GY

J.J. Blair

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2005, 06:39:00 PM »

Ten years ago, I had to make a track sound like a record was skipping, and I achieved it all through tapes edits.  It was tedious, but I was so proud of myself.  My internship at the ad agency after highschool really paid off!

Also, before DAW was affordable (only Sonic Solutions back then), and before I had a 1/2", I had to edit about 200 minutes of comedy material into a 74 minute CD all on the 2" @ 15 ips.  One of the only times I wished I had a DAW instead of tape.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

satisfactory

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2005, 10:10:39 PM »

yessir!

mostly 1/2" 8trk here

yesterday i had to fix a late snare drum hit.

i definitely prefer editing to:
reading a magazine or
dicking around on the interweb or
whatever i'm usually doing while The Band is Doing The Rock.

justin collins,
satisfactoryatburntsienna dot com

vernier

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2005, 10:45:15 PM »

Digital editing will be obsolete (I give it two years max) .. and computers (as well as the net) will be completely gone (in probably shorter time than digital lasts) so, it's be probably best to stock up on blades now (as much as you can afford).

Ronny

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2005, 11:17:01 PM »

I haven't used a splicing block in over 10 years. Just doesn't make sense if the final product is cd or dvd. It's much faster to load in and edit in the digital domain. It's more precise. If you screw up you can undo the damage with a push of the button. The tapes will archive better without splicing tape. You don't risk having a splice come loose and dump tape on the floor. I can't understand why anyone would splice when they can edit non-destructively.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------