R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mono reverb vs stereo reverb  (Read 3602 times)

rexrode

mono reverb vs stereo reverb
« on: June 28, 2005, 09:49:10 AM »

Forgive me if this is a stupid question/topic.  When did the first stereo reverbs/echo chambers start coming around?  Was it when stereo mixes were first accepted as the real version of a song?  

Until recently it never occured to me to use anything other than a stereo reverb, but now I am really enjoying using either a mono reverb pluggin or a single mic in an echo chamber (large stairwell) when the occasion calls for it.  Its especially cool on vocals.

Does anyone else use both, and for what specific purpose?  

I am working on mixing a song that is somewhat in the chuck berry or bo diddley style, so the topic is especially interesting to me right now...

Thanks,

Jeremy
thread-killer

Blake

Re: mono reverb vs stereo reverb
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 01:46:28 PM »

I don't use "stereo" verbs at all.  Instead I use two mono verbs panned hard left and right (dual mono).  That way if I want verb on say an extremely left panned rack tom, I can send it to just the left verb.  Or maybe I have a guitar track panned hard right, I can even it out in the mix by sending it to only the left verb.   In Protools I use two inputs right next to each other, like 1 and 2, so that if I want to pan around in the verb I can choose a stereo send for whatever channel I'm on or just 1 or 2.  Hope that makes sense.

maxdimario

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 06:01:29 PM »

most stereo reverbs are mono reverbs summed in and out of phase with the input signal.

I never used to mind this years ago, but now I positively hate it, to the point that I can't stand it.

I'll second the dual mono thing, if you must have stereo.

ssltech

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 03:28:43 PM »

maxdimario wrote on Mon, 01 August 2005 23:01

most stereo reverbs are mono reverbs summed in and out of phase with the input signal.

???huh???

What does that mean?

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

JPérez

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 03:57:39 PM »

Mono reverb makes me feel the instrument back other instruments. Sometimes is great for drums you want to put far .

Stereo wide reverb makes me feel a instrument (if you pan hard centered) in front, and give you the sense you are in the same room.

John Ivan

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 04:19:13 PM »

I use a combo of the two. I will sometimes use a short "brick" like stereo verb to help the drums sound like they are really in a room, {if I didn't have a good room in tracking} and then I might use a mono verb on a solo to pan it around. I might use a stereo verb on a back up vocal buss..

It changes a lot for me depending on the tune..  Some folks dig Mono drums. While I don't dig panning the kit to the extremes, I do like stereo drums. Sometimes I'll put the whole Band in a very small room in stereo.
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 17 queries.