R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Marshal MXL V69 tube mic...Opinions anyone ???  (Read 23348 times)

djwayne

Marshal MXL V69 tube mic...Opinions anyone ???
« on: June 26, 2005, 01:44:32 PM »

I've read good things about the Marshal MXL V69 Tube mic ($299) and really like the looks of it.....sound wise, how's it sound ?? The samples I've heard sound pretty good...Do ya think it'll hold up over time... a good choice for recording acoustic guitars, flute, harp, and vocal onto a computer, home studio enviorment... ??

From what I've read, it's getting very good reviews, and is a great mic for the money....any comments ??

natpub

Re: Marshal MXL V69 tube mic...Opinions anyone ???
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 07:46:54 PM »

YOu may wanna ask this in Harvy's forum, several folk there own and use this mic regularly.
Kurt Thompson
Vibrational Arts, Inc.
Blue Skyway Music
Sonic Sorcery Studios
Austin,TX/Columbus,OH

djwayne

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 08:14:35 PM »

You've already answered my question...if it's being used regularly, it must be okay for a budget minded studio...I'd give it a very light work out and just use it occassionally, so it should be okay for me...I'm not expecting a Neumann for $300, but just decent quality, and so it doen't fall apart in my hands........

I went to a website called "The Listening Sessions" which has some sound samples of this mic as well as many of the current top models in the $300-$1200 price range, and they all seem to sound very similar on my system to my old, tin can ears, anyone of them would be good enough for my needs..so now it's down to basic looks, and company reputation. Who would know more about tubes than Marshall ?????

.......you can hear these samples at......

http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/session5.htm

Thanks for your reply !!

seriousfun

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 10:50:25 AM »

djwayne wrote on Sun, 26 June 2005 17:14

.....so now it's down to basic looks, and company reputation. Who would know more about tubes than Marshall ?????

Not the same Marshall. http://www.mxlmics.com.
doug osborne | my day job

djwayne

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 11:04:56 AM »

seriousfun wrote on Mon, 27 June 2005 15:50

djwayne wrote on Sun, 26 June 2005 17:14

.....so now it's down to basic looks, and company reputation. Who would know more about tubes than Marshall ?????

Not the same Marshall. http://www.mxlmics.com.

Hahahahaha.....well isn't that special !!!!!!

Not the same company that made the famous Marshall tube amps !!!!?????? Thank You for that little bit of information...I still like the mic though....but it's good to know the facts, BERFOREHAND .....

finster

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 11:41:45 AM »

I use a pair as my main overhead mics.
Awesome sound.

Superior to some others ive tried costing 3-4 times as much.

It does a good job on female vocals too.

djwayne

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 08:26:00 AM »

finster wrote on Mon, 27 June 2005 16:41

I use a pair as my main overhead mics.
Awesome sound.

Superior to some others ive tried costing 3-4 times as much.

It does a good job on female vocals too.

Thanks for input....sounds like "bang for the buck" is good...

brandondrury

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 11:56:59 PM »

I absolutely love the V69.  

I use it on almost every session for almost everything.  I've gotten amazing vocals through it.  It's a little bright (which can be a great thing or a terrible thing).  It does amazing thing on thick acoustics, but it can make thin/crappy acoustics sound too thin.

I'm not big on it as an overhead, but it sounded unreal about 2 feet in front of the kick drum and about a foot to the right (towards the snare).  

I captured amazing mega modern rock face death tone with it about a foot from the cabinet.  

I would definitely buy it before I bought my AT 4033, AT4050, AKG 414, Royer R121, MD 421, RE 20, etc.  Just my opinion.

If I was only going to own two mics on a budget, I would pick up the V69 and an SM 57.  Of course, I would rather own 100 mics.

Brandon

djwayne

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 08:08:56 AM »

Thanks for that response. I recently did a A/B/C recording sound test with a Superlux CM-H8A, MD 421, AKG C-1000, and the Superlux came out on top...I sold the other two mics off cheap, and will probably get the V69 sometime soon. A 57 and 58 would also be nice.

I really don't need much more than that at this time.

I know you shouldn't buy a mic with your eyes, but it's a mic that would indeed look good in my studio. Glad to hear it sounds good too.

brandondrury

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 11:14:57 AM »

Quote:

I know you shouldn't buy a mic with your eyes, but it's a mic that would indeed look good in my studio. Glad to hear it sounds good too.

I'm not really one to give a damn what anything looks like (except for women), but you do get oohs and aahhhs when you pull it out.  

I just tell people that it costs $3000.  They usually say "DAMN!!".   Then I say, "Not really, it's $300".  

Brandon

Michael Greene

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 10:00:30 PM »

I bought 2 V-69's on a fluke one day and must say it is an "Interesting" mic.  Given the hype from people I thought it would be great to have as a couple of extra mics for string dates or rythm sections.   First thing I have to say is for me they really suck on piano.  Compared to all the other mics I use they were dark, muddy and left me scratching my head.  I then tried them as spot mics on 1st and 2nd violins.  They were great.  Not strident and really quite nice.  I like them on acoustic gtr's but I also like some of my other Neumanns better.  I have used them in a "Glyn Johns" 3 mic drum set up and they were great.  They felt pretty well  balanced and picked up all the right things.  Vocals?  They were ok.  They have never sounded bad per say but also never really shined compared to some other mics.  

The one thing I did do that helped smooth them out a fair amount was replace the cheap shitty tube in them with a NOS Telefunken tube.  It smoothed out the high end a bit and made the mid less crunchy.  I have thought about trying Mullards to get some more midrange out of them but at $50-75 bucks a tube I am pretty much done experimenting with these mics.  I would bet it would change the character a bit.  The problem is all the other stuff in the way that seems to effect things more than just the tube.  Capsule?  Design?  Capacitors?  Who knows.  Again maybe some day when I have more time I will try swapping out components that I can and see if it makes it better.  The bottom line is it is an OK cheap chinese mic that does a passable job on some things but doesn't seem to blow me away on most.  

What little money I spent was put to good use.  I have two mics that I can always pull out when I start running low or need a bit different flavor.  You can almost never have too many mics when your doing bigger groups so for the money it is probably worth it.

Good luck,
Michael Greene
Michael Greene

djwayne

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2005, 07:19:17 AM »

Thanks for that review. Like I said, for $300 I'm not expecting a Neumann, but decent quality, and an upgrade from the Superlux CM-H8A that I currently have, which is also a cheap Chinese mic, but has an okay sound, but I would prefer to have a another mic for stereo recordings with a little different color on the second mic. I'm currently using Martins Thinline pick up on one guitar, and a Goldline pickup on another, for my secondary channel,  where I'd prefer to use the V69 to replace them both for recording...I think I'd get a better sound with the V69 over either pickup.

I also have a neice who plays the harp, and I'd like to get some decent recordings of her...so the V69 would be used for that as well.

So the V69 fits that bill for me...I think. I'm not running a pro studio, but a private studio mostly for my own needs, with an occassional folk singer or two....who have their own mics anyway. So I don't need a large collection of high priced mics at this time.

From the sound samples I've heard of the V69, it should work fine for me, without breaking my budget...a $1,000 -1,500 for a mic is out of the question for me.

Han S.

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2005, 08:06:19 AM »

The V69 Mogami is a nice mic, I actually like the V77S better because this mic sounds more neutral.

The 69 really surpriced me in a bigband recording where I used it on bariton sax.

I've bought it in march 2003 and I didn't use it very much because I have a lot of mics. Lately it seemed to me the mic was a tad more noisy than before, so I opened it in order to swap the tube, but there was a small tube inside soldered to the PCB.

I learned from Brent Casey that this was an early V69M and this tube was a problem, so they replaced it by a 12AY7 which has a socket.

Anyway, I called my gearpimp and told him about the noise and he promised to call me back, which he did a couple of days later, asking me to send the mic in it's original case to him.

What's gonna happen I asked, nothing he said, a new V69M is on it's way to you.

A day later a brand new V69 (with the 12AY7) arrived, this is what they call service.

For example, in 1996 I bought a Neumann M149, which came in a kind of a shoebox and after 2.5 years it began to make some noise as if there's a storm coming in.

It turned out to be the 6111 tube and the Sennheiser shop replaced it. The bill was some $450, later I found out the list price of a 6111 is $6.75

The M149 is a wonderful sounding mic though, the V77S comes close but the Neumann is the winner in most applications.

The V69 Mogami otoh is a colored mic, but you can't get a nicer mic for that price IMHO.

djwayne

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2005, 09:41:50 AM »

Thanks for the V77s recomendation, but $300 is my limit and I hate to admit it, but I am buying the V-69 with my eyes !! It would look so good in my studio.

I also think it'll work well with the Superlux CM-H8A for a stereo recording, but I won't be sure until I actually try it.

The above sound samples I've heard of the V69 are plenty good enough for me.

Actually the Superlux is good enough, but another mic for stereo is what I'd like, instead of using the installed pickups...

doc willie

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2005, 11:48:42 AM »

I recently tried using the V69M to record a recorder (the vertical flute whistle thingy). It did a decent job, but OMIGOD it was picking up some damned background noise, like an air conditioner, that I could not hear at all in the studio (in my house, no real additional sound isolation) that felt like a roaring freight train. I never did chase down the source of the noise, since I can't hear it. MAYBE it is in the mic, though it doesn't sound like it.

The musician, didn't mind it at all, said he couldn't hear it, but I had to do a major mid-low EQ to get the sound out, which fortunately did not take anything noticable out of the recorder sound.

I switched to a Beyer M-160 and had no background noise, and tamed the shrillness that I got when he switched to soprano recorder.

Used a Hardy M-1 Personal on both mics.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 19 queries.