R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Did you feel depressed? or do you feel it now!!;)  (Read 1913 times)

George_

Did you feel depressed? or do you feel it now!!;)
« on: June 24, 2005, 05:01:27 AM »

hi folks,

I'm starter as you know (with some equipment that sunk) and I feel a lilbit depressed @ the moment. My project that I'm mixing now is not the quality level I expected, or maybe I expected to much!

I compare with other demos (from local undergroundproducers) than I am very happy;) but if I compare it to nother professional (L2-compressed;).. ) records I feel really depressed.

Yeah for shure, they have better A/D-D/A's, microphones, in general better equipment and of course a better knowledge of what their doing..

Well it's a long way to the top if you wanna rock 'n roll.. this is what I learned from Bon Scott (i try not vomiting in cars since I know him;) )

I think you all were not born with a Neumann U87 in your right and a fairchild in your right hand, so what do you do against "lows"??

"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola

Loco

Re: Did you feel depressed? or do you feel it now!!;)
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 11:32:05 AM »

noGearslut wrote on Fri, 24 June 2005 05:01

I think you all were not born with a Neumann U87 in your right and a fairchild in your right hand, so what do you do against "lows"??

Beach chair, umbrella, and a six-pack of a good porter.
Carlos "El Loco" Bedoya

"There's no right, there's no wrong. There's only popular opinion"   Jeffrey Goines
http://www.tukanart.com

Fibes

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 01:02:50 PM »

Keep learning.

It's that simple.

On days that you're not learning the ritual of audio, live life and do something else that makes you a richer individual. read, drink, dialate your uretha, whatever.

When i'm depressed i go about 100 miles offshore and kill some fish. Uh, i mean catch... Staring into the peace and fury of the ocean helps me realize all the pseudo-needs we surround ourselves with and how much my family means to me. Yep, cheezy, but true.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

qtc3

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 11:26:50 PM »

Yeah, I've been there and I'll be there again.   Half the time I feel like a fraud and a hack, and the other half I feel like I'm finally starting to get a handle on what sounds good.   As long as the band is happy with your work you're probably ok.

Seth Koster

Revolution

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 12:53:26 AM »

As long as your new stuff is better than your old stuff your winning in my book. Oh yeh and enjoy doing it.

henchman

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 02:20:42 PM »

How long have you been doing this?
And unless you've worked alongside talented enginers, it will probably take  alittle longer to learn how to do stuff.
OTOH, I've heard stuff from guys who sat beside the best, that sounds like shit.

George_

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 10:40:44 PM »

thanx henchie;)

no, It's not that I wanna kill myself;)

I'm doing it now for 2 years (with full force, before I just did some recordings to learn how cubase works and stuff)

The question was, how to get over your bad times as mixer/tech/whatever..

my last output is here, and I'm not happy with it.

http://www.lager9.ch/dmdocuments/AsSanityfades_SymphonyInAmo k.mp3

George Necola

zetterstroem

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 08:46:08 AM »

i actually think that metal is the hardest thing to do.....

i've done loads of records in other genre's that i'm proud of.... but not more than a couple of metal songs that i can listen to today....

i think it's about the struggle of having to fit distoted guitars/vocals/cymbals into the midrange.... they all overlap....

another overlooked factor in most metal is the bass.... the guitar players are all over the place..... and talking about tuning down and playing through bass cabinets or even 8-string guitars (like my favorite.. meshuggah).... but in all this guitar hype the bass gets ignored.... you really have to let the bass do it's thing and build the foundation..... i had alot of luck tracking the bass twice! everyone does that with guitars... nad while we're at it... try NOT tracking the guitars a million times.... sometimes less is more.... eg. sometimes rage against the machine actually sounds heavier than some metal acts i know!!

regarding the track you posted i think the problem is production.... it's sounds way to programmed.... i really think the drums sould be more acoustic (w.triggered bassdrums of course) OR more industrial.... just has to be one or the other.... not in between as now....

and you need to use more fx and panning.... you have to decide what goes in front and what goes behind.... in this case the vocals up front in the middle..... the guitars all the way left and right.... add some fx to make them larger.... this band should shound HUGE... just apply more reverb when the band isn't looking!.... and the keyboards all the way back soaked in fx........ the bassdrum should be dry and louder than everything else Smile.... the rest of the drums mixed in an acoustic sounding reverb (like the cello live room in altiverb) to pull the a bit back... but not too far..... experiment!!! and blablabla...

it's an artform.... and it takes time.... after two years my metal mixes sounded far worse than yours!!

good luck.....
Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway." (b.dylan)

George_

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005, 10:58:58 PM »

hei zetti:)

this is a review to build on:) THANX MAN!

My biggest problem now: my mixing/recording-room sucks a lot. I have early reflections and it's very hard to mix something. also my monitors sucks a lot (spirit absolute 2). Yeah all the people tell you, if you are experienced you can mix on computerspeakers, but I can't. so Bad room, bad monitoring and very little expirence.

And I am the tracker, producer, mastering eng... blah, that sucks. The band couldn't afford to master the bitch so I go out my cubase with all the tricks done I have.

second problem:
bad souncard. Terratec EWS doesn't make the job. I have to pump up the lowend because there is only little recorded. Also it sucks on transients so I have to get things in front with dominion.

I don't know where to start upgrading instead of my knowledge;)

Quote:

after two years my metal mixes sounded far worse than yours!!

puh, my ego is getting better:) thanx zetti.

so for demoproduction is this sufficient? if I compare my mix to the other local underground-swiss-metalband-cdmixes It's ok. I don't know how demos sounds in your area.

Quote:

it's an artform.... and it takes time....

jap, and maybe this is the "lifelong learning-thing":) maybe it takes a littlebit longer here, because I only mix 2 times a week (because I have a 7 to 5 job and 2 bands). Maybe I should mix more.. hum..

cheers and thanx guys:)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

George Necola

Technotechno

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2005, 02:26:56 PM »

First you have only been doing this a coouple of years and your being way to hard on yourself. I would personally find this material very difficult to mix. Ive  never mixed this sort of stuff but like the other poster said its probably one of the most difficult genres to mix.

I also agree with him that it sounds a little to programmed.

Essentially theres nothing really wrong with your mix. Just some of the sounds werent right, like the drums and the strings. if this is for demo purposes its totally fine.

Sonds like youve been working on the projext a lot as well and its been getting you down. Maybe losing your ojectivity? I think you just need a few opinions and pointers and youll be fine

Smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.