R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Please, comments about Neuman mics  (Read 8934 times)

J.J. Blair

Re: Please, comments about Neuman mics
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2005, 12:33:19 PM »

I tend to use it with Neve 1073s, API 512s and actual vintage Langevin AM16s, not the new ones.  I haven't used the new ones, but as far as I understand they sound nothing like the originals.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Giovanni Speranza

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2005, 04:18:13 PM »

U89 is very different from U87.
U87 is perfect for solo parts.
U89 is one of the best mics for panoramic recordings (choirs, orchestra..) because it can record at wide angles without losing the response, instead it's not well suited for solo voice because when at proximity the bass is muddy and the highs are unclear.

mark fassett

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2005, 12:31:04 AM »

Well, all I know is my TLM-103 sounds great on my baritone voice through great river preamp.  Needs very little eq, most of the time none at all.  

maxdimario

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2005, 07:13:44 AM »

Quote:

A transformer is one of the most important parts of mic, when it comes to adding character to the signal.

I agree with you JJ, about there being more character in a transformer-based condenser mic.

The funny thing is that the character partly or mostly appears as a result of passing unscathed through the amplifying circuit.

The opposite is usually the case (more dead sounding) for transformerless-type mics because of the added complexity and less-than-ideal working impedances in the circuit.

Using a transformer reduces electronic components inside and better matches impedance between the inside electronics and the outside pre.

Watch out for crafty manufacturers who use inferior transformers: the trasformer is one of the hardest and most expensive components to manufacture properly. A good trannie sounds great.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2005, 08:36:14 AM »

I hear Eddie Murphy is really into trannies, too.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Alécio Costa - Brazil

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2005, 12:27:24 PM »

Anyone else using the tlm 193?
Rolling Eyes
Alécio Costa Studio
High-end Mastering, Music Production
http://www.aleciocosta.com

Listen to my album at:
http://www.audiostreet.net/aleciocosta

MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/aleciocostamasterizacao

J.J. Blair

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2005, 01:06:09 PM »

TLM 193.  Another piece of crap designed by Neumann's accountants and marketing office.
studio info

stevieeastend

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2005, 02:09:08 PM »

by the way...

what would be a  fair price for a U89? Could buy one but not sure about the price...

cheers
steveeastend

sdelsolray

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2005, 09:36:34 PM »

Al

J.J. Blair

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2005, 09:46:41 PM »

Gefell kicks Neumann's ass any day of the week, too.
studio info

wwittman

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2005, 01:04:13 AM »

I like lots of solid state Neumanns for various things... 87's, 47fets, KM-84's, KM-86's...
but not a single one of the transformerless ones is worth a dam.

For what USED to be the Neumann sound, I'd buy Gefells.

(edited to correct my own spelling... as I remembered the original expression is "worth a tinker's dam"... not 'damn'. Pedantic, ain't I?)
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

Larrchild

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2005, 01:18:05 AM »

I have 103's and AT's and they are "ok". In fact I use a TLM-103 on my ham station. But I have to give it to W.W. on that one.

I did hear a transformerless mic i liked once. Doug Sax's brother built these 2 tube, line level ck-12's's that had no iron. They made some pretty awesome Sheffield albums. +) jus messin!
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

Alécio Costa - Brazil

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2005, 08:51:21 AM »

In fact I am facing that horrible situation of the Brand boutique crap. This singer I am tracking recorded with the "Big guys in NY" where they just used Neuamman mics on her previous SOny Music/Virgin albums. She already enjoyed the TLM 103 ( !!) and now I am stuck with Neumann. She complains about brands...
Very boring situation
>(
Alécio Costa Studio
High-end Mastering, Music Production
http://www.aleciocosta.com

Listen to my album at:
http://www.audiostreet.net/aleciocosta

MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/aleciocostamasterizacao

eightyeightkeys

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2005, 10:38:03 AM »

Al
Dave T.
D&D Music

wwittman

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2005, 12:11:44 PM »

Well you could explain that this "much nicer Gefell, is really the East German Neumann..."

There isn't a TLM I like on anything.
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up