R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Please, comments about Neuman mics  (Read 8933 times)

Alécio Costa - Brazil

Please, comments about Neuman mics
« on: June 23, 2005, 07:38:34 PM »

Please, comments about Neuman mics

Hello,
Would you guys please point some differences between the TLM 103 and TLM 193? Also, what are the main differences between the U87 and U89, concerning tracking of vocals, acoustic guitars and strings?
Today I had the opportunity to make an A/B/C test among the TLM 103 (cardioid only), the AT4050 at cardioid and the At4040 (cardioid only) employing Sebatron Mic pres.
Thanks for any info
Smile
Alécio Costa Studio
High-end Mastering, Music Production
http://www.aleciocosta.com

Listen to my album at:
http://www.audiostreet.net/aleciocosta

MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/aleciocostamasterizacao

eightyeightkeys

Re: Please, comments about Neuman mics
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 08:43:49 PM »

Al
Dave T.
D&D Music

rphilbeck

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 10:39:23 PM »

Alecio,
 I'm writing to thank you for making this interesting topic available for all to see in every forum on REP, and the rest of the internet.  God forbid someone should miss it.

Alécio Costa - Brazil

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 08:58:13 AM »

Oh, thanks Bud!

My impressions...
I recorded two takes with the TLM 103 and  the At4050 at cardioid pattern.

I ran both thru a Sebatron mic pre (VMP200VU) , using the same cable, (Monster cable) ,  no inserts, no processing.

I decided to track a very familiar source.. my own voice... So, I read a 1 minute text.

After this,  we auditioned both, inserted Waves PAZ, made some readouts at PEAK and RMS modes.

IN both microphones we had a slight bump around 7246hz , which probably is my natural sibilant region.

The TLM provided a deeper tone towards 378Hz, which made my voice warmer. However, I Have not had the opportunity to test it on a real world vocal session and a mix situation.

Although the TLM would sounded nicer in my voice, I think that a baritone voice would provide not the very same good results.

Right after  we added Compressor Banks CB2 and a bit of reverbers from Yamaha SPX models so as to  to verify a final tone as if we were mixing the source.

I am going to test it against the AT4040.However,  I do not have the U87 and the TLM 193 here for more tests. Anyone?

We also tried testing them thru the Yamaha 02R V2 mic pres and we reached similar results. Everything was recorded to a PT Mix Plus OS 9.2/5.1.3 rig.

THanks
Alécio Costa Studio

Listen to my album at:

MySpace:

J.J. Blair

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 12:11:20 PM »

Alecio, I say this with all sincerity: Fuck Neumann and AT.  Buy yourself a Langevin CR2001 (made by Manley).  It kicks any solid state Neumann's ass any day of the week (except for maybe the FET47).  And I've got to say that sitting here with a pile of AT 40 series mics that got sent to me, they all sound papery.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Loco

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 12:27:24 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Fri, 24 June 2005 12:11

Alecio, I say this with all sincerity: Fuck Neumann and AT.  Buy yourself a Langevin CR2001 (made by Manley).  It kicks any solid state Neumann's ass any day of the week (except for maybe the FET47).  And I've got to say that sitting here with a pile of AT 40 series mics that got sent to me, they all sound papery.

Didn't you just said at Klaus' forum that the AT4060 was the best thing ever for vocals?
Carlos "El Loco" Bedoya

"There's no right, there's no wrong. There's only popular opinion"   Jeffrey Goines
http://www.tukanart.com

J.J. Blair

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 12:49:02 PM »

I said that the AT4060 was the surprising dark horse.  It sounded great on vocals and mono mic'd piano. I did not say it was the best thing ever.  It was hardly the best of the sixteen mics I tested.  It was the one that really surpised us at how good it sounded, meaning based on the way the other mics sounded we expected less.  Besides, it's tube, not solid state.   And it sounded papery on acoustic guitar.  I'm not a fan of the solid state ATs that were mentioned.  And, I still like the Langevin better than the AT4060.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

PaulyD

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 08:18:31 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Fri, 24 June 2005 09:11

Hi J.J.,
US$800.00 for the Langevin too! That's not bad at all. I noticed Manley Labs' web site speaks of it being a versatile mic. Have you found that it shines on anything in particular?

Thanks,

Paul

Alécio Costa - Brazil

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 11:26:40 PM »

thanks guys. In fact a "famous ex-Sony Music female singer" chose the TLM 103 over the 4050 due to its "cool boom" around 378 hz here at my recording studio in this afternoon.
I imagine the TLM will sound horrobly muddy on baritone vocals.
I am eagr to test the TLM 193, which people have been telling me it uses the same capsule of the U89.
Alécio Costa Studio

Listen to my album at:

MySpace:

thedoc

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 11:28:57 PM »

The U89 is very good for voice-over work.
Doc

J.J. Blair

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2005, 12:38:01 AM »

$800 is the list price for the Langevin.  I bet the street price is much better.  Besides, they wind their own transformers and they sound great.  This whole transformerless craze is a crock of shit.  A transformer is one of the most important parts of mic, when it comes to adding character to the signal.  

The Langevin is literally great on everything.  I have used it it on vocals, piano, overheads, toms, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, mandolin, you name it.  I haven't found anything I didn't like it on.  It kicks any TLM mic's ass, IMO.
studio info

EyreSpace

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2005, 01:15:35 AM »

Thanks JJ; and thanks to alec, I thought the questions were very usefull. Shame on you Robert!
"Yamaha sucks for not having an upgrade plan like Digi." Alecio Costa

Tomas Danko

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2005, 08:09:17 AM »

Funny thing, when I auditioned the Langevin mic I didn't think it was all that. It was run through one of those remake Langevin micpreamps however so perhaps it's the combination that didn't appeal to me.

Just looking at the Langevin mic, it seems to be a better buy than the Manley Cardioid all things considered... so it'd be either the Langevin or the Manley Reference Gold, as far as best buy goes.

As always YMMMV (talking about microphonemileages here)

/Danko
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

David Schober

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2005, 08:22:02 AM »

JJ,

What kind of mic pre do you like on the Langevin?  I find that can make a very large difference in my mic choice.   A good match vs. a bad one can sometimes change my mind on a mic.

I haven't heard this mic.  I'm going to try to find one to check out next week.  Thanks for the comment.
David Schober

rphilbeck

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2005, 11:51:54 AM »

EyreSpace wrote on Sat, 25 June 2005 01:15

Thanks JJ; and thanks to alec, I thought the questions were very usefull. Shame on you Robert!

I agree. I just find the cross posting inconsiderate.  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up