R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: u47 w/ nuvistor popping  (Read 1371 times)

sparechessroom

u47 w/ nuvistor popping
« on: June 22, 2005, 07:51:24 PM »

i am working on a u47 with a nuvistor. it came in with popping. also, the polarizing resistors 60M, and 100M seem to have been reversed, though the owner said it worked for years. this may not matter. anyway i replaced them, and put it back to what the schematic read. at that point, it was very quiet, i moved the pattern lever, and it came in strong. i took it apart, cleaned the inside of the capsule cover where pattern lever slides, and cleaned the contacts on the capsule where the lever makes/breaks contact. it is now intermittently fine, then much, much louder, then cuts in and out at a very fast, but steady pace (capacitor?) the first time i heard this, i turned the variac down out of fear for the capsule, and at about 80% it was fine, loud and quiet. albeit fading out without the proper voltage. but this has been the pattern. when this fast motor boating happens i can get rid of it with the variac. i just measured the voltage from the supply, and it is about 396vdc... not 105vdc! i do have a schematic for the mic that has written on it over the 105vdc input : 390vdc, and the capsules 63vdc has 210 written next to that. i have on order a new nuvistor, and i am wondering if the .01mfd 400v cap could be bad- which is actually in this mic a .01/200vdc cap. i am also thinking of recapping the power supply, and the 1mfd, and .5mfd coupling caps. the 1780 ohm wire resistor did not measure out at first, i needed to unsolder it before it measured correctly, while another u47 i own with vf-14 it measured fine in circuit. this seemed noteworthy. if you have any input on the voltages i should be reading from the supply, the consequences of the resistors being reversed, and the variac cure's meaning, i would feel less silly.

thanks a lot!
kevin mcmahon

Dan Kennedy

Re: u47 w/ nuvistor popping
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 09:43:22 PM »

Remember, the resistor used to drop the plate voltage down to filament level for the original tube draws the supply voltage down significantly, if you were measuring 300+ volts for the plate supply it indicates to me that a load is missing.

I'd look to an open resistor, or bad solder work leading to it.

That kind of plate supply will cause all kinds of havoc to the nuvistor, plus it's going to make the capsule bias way high too.

You might be hearing the diaphram occasionally bottoming out, with the bias that high, it will be attracted to the back plate.

I don't remember the proper voltages for the nuvistor conversion, but damn near 400 volts is way, way too high.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 19 queries.