R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2" TAPE MACHINE SUGGESTION ... FOR HOME STUDIO IDIOTS ?  (Read 8925 times)

thedoc

Re: 2" TAPE MACHINE SUGGESTION ... FOR HOME STUDIO IDIOTS ?
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2005, 06:33:57 PM »

At Heiders we had probably 20 MM1200s and some 1100's...working without the constant tension card can and did work, but I would not buy a machine without that card today.  The machine really got squirrly when using 5000' loads.  In the remote trucks, engineers would have to tweek while recording when it got near the end of the reels...not fun.

It's not about knowing how, the maintenance staff had it down. It's about what makes sense today. Why deal with the hassle and have a machine that is just not as good when you don't have to.

Having said all that, they do sound good and are easy to fix if you have parts.  I don't know about head availability today...anybody out there have a handle on that?
Doc

vernier

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2005, 06:53:40 PM »

Analog is well worth it ..wish I hadn't strayed from it all those years (wasted years).

Brian Roth

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2005, 10:19:16 PM »

thedoc wrote on Fri, 01 July 2005 17:33

Having said all that, they do sound good and are easy to fix if you have parts.  I don't know about head availability today...anybody out there have a handle on that?

It would be worth a call to John French ar JRF magentics.

Bri

Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
www.BrianRoth.com

Les Ismore

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2005, 02:41:00 PM »

thedoc wrote on Fri, 01 July 2005 15:33

At Heiders we had probably 20 MM1200s and some 1100's...working without the constant tension card can and did work, but I would not buy a machine without that card today.  The machine really got squirrly when using 5000' loads.  In the remote trucks, engineers would have to tweek while recording when it got near the end of the reels...not fun.

Yeah, that's with a 14" reel. Mostly video guys and remote guys used to use those. That's when you would have wanted the tension kit.
With a standard 10" reel it's fine without the kit, so I wouldn't turn down a nice machine in good shape just because it didn't have the kit. Anyone buying a machine today will be using 10" reels of tape.
I still have one of these (a modified MM1100 with a syncronizer) and have been using it since the late 80's without a tension kit. It's built like a tank.
Pete Honychurch - Fluid Sound
http://www.myspace.com/PeteHonychurch

thedoc

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2005, 02:44:32 PM »

I personally would not want the machine without the card.  I am happy that it works for you, no bad vibes...
Doc

Hallams

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2005, 09:26:35 PM »

Les Ismore wrote on Sun, 03 July 2005 19:41

I still have one of these (a modified MM1100 with a syncronizer) and have been using it since the late 80's without a tension kit. It's built like a tank.

I have an MM1100 also. The power supply has been upgraded so it doesn't blow transistors anymore and two cards have the mod so they punch in/out better. What mods has your machine had Les?
Chris Hallam.
Melbourne, Australia.

Les Ismore

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2005, 01:20:20 AM »

Hi Hallams. Yeah, they updated the power supplies when I bought mine too. I bought mine from a film mixing house and they basically incorporated some of the 1200 upgrades into the supplies and other things. Other than that, the biggest upgrade I have is an Adams Smith Zeta 3 synchronizer. This gives me a nice modern remote, full sync capabilities,100 point autolocation and automated punching. It even automatically calculates the head gap and times the punch accordingly. Very cool.
BTW if you need any parts I have quite a large stash. PM me if you are needing or wanting anything.
Cheers, Les
Pete Honychurch - Fluid Sound
http://www.myspace.com/PeteHonychurch
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 20 queries.