R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2" TAPE MACHINE SUGGESTION ... FOR HOME STUDIO IDIOTS ?  (Read 8924 times)

Brian Roth

Re: 2" TAPE MACHINE SUGGESTION ... FOR HOME STUDIO IDIOTS ?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2005, 01:30:40 AM »

arconaut wrote on Wed, 22 June 2005 17:09

Brian... a Stephens? Aren't those machines really difficult to maintain?

noah

There was a Stephens here in OKC for maybe 15 years and it gave very little trouble.  However, it was sold/retired probably 10 years ago, so no telling how well one would be holding up these days.

John is still around, apparently in SoCal as I recall.

http://www.stephenselectronics.com/home.htm

Bri

Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
www.BrianRoth.com

arconaut

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2005, 08:20:58 AM »

>John is still around, apparently in SoCal as I recall.
>
>http://www.stephenselectronics.com/home.htm

I was excited to see this website, until I discovered that nothing works on it! I had no idea he was still at it, amazing the things you learn on this board.
You Are Number Six

Brian Roth

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2005, 08:48:25 AM »

arconaut wrote on Thu, 23 June 2005 07:20

>John is still around, apparently in SoCal as I recall.
>
>http://www.stephenselectronics.com/home.htm

I was excited to see this website, until I discovered that nothing works on it! I had no idea he was still at it, amazing the things you learn on this board.

Yeah, it's pretty bare-bones, including the "contact" page:  "Send me YOUR contact info and I might get back with you."  <g>

Bri

Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
www.BrianRoth.com

vernier

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2005, 02:50:38 PM »

Stephens are great. Weirdly, theres hardly any electronics  ..where's the electronics?!

lucey

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2005, 12:59:34 AM »

All machines take work, get a new Radar system, sounds better than Otari and many things by far.

A good tech in Hollywood is Rob Harvey at World Audio, maybe he can help you find someone in Riverside.

MM1200 here ... lots of little things go wrong, but it sounds amazing.  Stephens are HOT to tape, neat head design, hard to find.

Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown

vernier

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2005, 01:36:13 AM »

Radar is digital right?

ALLEN WRENCH

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2005, 09:20:47 AM »

Every time I listen to digital recordings I just get pissed off at the crappy sound.  For my workstation set up I'll probably be ending up with a LynxAES16 card and the Mytek converters...  but I still only use the workstation for writing.  

Even if I ever decide to go all digital at some point, I'm still planning on recording on tape and then hitting the ADC's (on my Manley SLAM) off the REPRO head of my tape machine.
You may not be interested in Dr. Wrench,  but Dr. Wrench is interested in you.

Ronny

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2005, 02:57:57 PM »

vernier wrote on Sat, 25 June 2005 01:36

Radar is digital right?

Yes, I wouldn't say it sounds better than Otari 2", but a lower noise floor and there isn't any reason that you can't get great results with 24 bit digital these days, after all 99% of the music is going to wind up on digital cd's and dvd's anyway and the annie recordings and mixes are eventually going to go through several digital processes before they reach the consumer. I still work with both, I have to say that some instruments track better to tape, such as drums, especially cymbals, but the benefits of digital in the mixing stage often outweigh the slight improvement that I hear tracking overheads to annie.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------