R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who to have master?  (Read 1357 times)

qtc3

Who to have master?
« on: June 22, 2005, 02:42:47 AM »

I find myself in the strange position of being a producer.   I was told there would be a producer for the project but apparently the band fired him just prior to my starting work with them.   It was slow at first, "What do you think of this line?" and such type questions, now I find I am arranging songs, deciding on instruments, composing and playing parts, etc...   Now I have been asked who they should have do the mastering.
  I know next to nothing about mastering, hell, I'm bright enough to know I don't know all that much about mixing yet!   So my question to you is who do I send an independant band on a very tight budget to for mastering?
  Also, if you're a mastering engineer feel free to PM me with your website address.  
  As their 'producer', I've recommended that they find someone who will leave as much of the dynamics in the music as possible.   Frankly I don't think their music is really mass market compatible, so I think that instead of trying to compete in the loudness wars they should go for the best sounding disc even if that means its not as loud.   I tend to think that if they establish themselves as putting out a great sounding, dynamic disc they will be catering to the people who like (and buy) their music instead of the radio stations (who likely will not play them anyways).   I also figure that their best bet is college stations, and that those will be less concerned about loudness than Clear Channel, etc.   Is this just my naivete, or does this all sound reasonable?   Frankly I'm barely coming to terms with this whole producing thing and I feel like I'm in a bit over my head.   They're quite happy with my work and I'm enjoying it, but I just can't help but think I should have had a class in producing or something since I'm mostly going on feel and the experience of playing in my own bands.
  Thanks for any help or info!

Seth
Seth Koster

e-cue

Re: Who to have master?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 11:17:32 AM »

SethK wrote on Tue, 21 June 2005 23:42

As their 'producer', I've recommended that they find someone who will leave as much of the dynamics in the music as possible.

I'd recommend looking into either Brad Blackwood at Euphonic or Gene Geramaldi at Oasis Mastering.  If you aren't on a tight 'time budget' they may be able to do your project in a range that's affordable for the budget you have.  Then again, my version of low budget may differ from yours.
http://www.miamimusicstory.com/wp-content/ani_cone.gif

bigaudioblowhard

Re: Who to have master?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 12:24:45 PM »

SethK wrote on Wed, 22 June 2005 00:42

Frankly I'm barely coming to terms with this whole producing thing and I feel like I'm in a bit over my head.   They're quite happy with my work and I'm enjoying it, but I just can't help but think I should have had a class in producing or something since I'm mostly going on feel and the experience of playing in my own bands.
  Thanks for any help or info!

Seth

Seth, buddy, dont sell yourself short. Lots of people have come into producing by default. Rick Richio (SP?) was a gofer at a studio in New York and when a mixer didnt show up one day, he engineered a hit for the glam band SLADE in the '70's. He's worked ever since. You never know where this'll take you. I've been around all kinds of producers from Geoff Emerick to A&R guys who think they know it all. It seems the band has confidence in you. THIS IS BIG, REALLY!!! Be the ball, congratulation and best luck. Zinzerly bab.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 21 queries.