R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Choosing mics/preamps/mixer  (Read 1231 times)

clarnibass

Choosing mics/preamps/mixer
« on: June 20, 2005, 06:15:40 AM »

I hope this is the right forum for this, I am not sure what forum is for what...

I need a few microphones for my home mini-studio. My budget is as low as possible for reasonable results. I'm not looking for the best results, since it won't be professional recordings, just want to record my music and that it will sound decent. I understand it won't sound like a studio recording, but I don't want it to sound like I just got a mic with a minidisk and recorded it.

I need one microphone that will be able to record a few players from a small distance, lets say one meter, like a string quartet, or several percussions or a drum set. I was told those stick looking mics do that, but I'm not sure.

A microphone for recording something like a duet of saxophones or any other two wind players. I will use it sometimes on its own, and sometimes it will be added to individual mics the players will have, to capture the sound from a little more distance too.

Maybe I'll get a dynamic microphone too but I don't think I need it at the moment.

I'll be recording mostly wind instrument like clarinet, saxophone, flute, trumpet, string instruments like doublebass, cello, violin, and percussion like marimba, drums (percussion and not a drum set, I might record a drum set rarely, but that is less important as far as mic choice).

I am also wondering if I should get a preamp or a mixer. My sound card have 4 inputs. Is it possible to record 4 channels with a Yamaha 12/4 mixer by using each left and right output so I'll have 4 mono channels (instead of 2 stereo channels).
Or I should buy a 4 channel (4 ins and 4 outs) preamp (if such a thing exists) with phantom and just use the software mixer (probably Pro Tools M-Powered), and not get a mixer at all.

Thank you very much.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 19 queries.