R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: "Weiss on a card"  (Read 5184 times)

Daniel Weiss

Re: "Weiss on a card"
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2005, 12:56:07 AM »

genericperson wrote on Tue, 21 June 2005 06:50

It sounds awesome, and sounds like $7000.  Sad

I store my computers in a closet, so nothing to look at there!

I guess I'm wierd; I like PCI cards.

Phrased another way, it would be real nice to have a way to have the DS-1 MKII processing for $2000, but it seems it will always be married to some sort of elaborate hardware that drives the price up to $7000.

We try to keep the price of the Powerhouse hardware as low as possible.
(BTW, the DS1 and EQ1-MK2 models are now much lower in price than they used to be.)

Daniel
Weiss Engineering Ltd.
www.weiss.ch

Thomas W. Bethel

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2005, 06:35:21 AM »

Luke Fellingham wrote on Mon, 20 June 2005 03:00

Bob Boyd wrote on Mon, 20 June 2005 02:55

If the PCI slot format still has a bright future, I would imagine you'd get greater throughput using the slot rather than a firewire port.

I guess PCI does have higher potential throughput, but if TC's firewire Powercore platform is anything to go by then firewire should still be able to provide all the throughput that is likely to be needed!

We had a TC Powercore and had nothing but problems with the firewire interface. The computer would stutter and then give up completely and we would have to close down the host application (Wavelab) and start the whole process over again. We finally gave up and send the unit back to the dealer. We were told that we were not the only ones having this problem. Maybe the PCI would be a better solution...

-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

zetterstroem

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2005, 10:20:03 AM »

Thomas W. Bethel wrote on Tue, 21 June 2005 12:35

Luke Fellingham wrote on Mon, 20 June 2005 03:00

Bob Boyd wrote on Mon, 20 June 2005 02:55

If the PCI slot format still has a bright future, I would imagine you'd get greater throughput using the slot rather than a firewire port.

I guess PCI does have higher potential throughput, but if TC's firewire Powercore platform is anything to go by then firewire should still be able to provide all the throughput that is likely to be needed!

We had a TC Powercore and had nothing but problems with the firewire interface. The computer would stutter and then give up completely and we would have to close down the host application (Wavelab) and start the whole process over again. We finally gave up and send the unit back to the dealer. We were told that we were not the only ones having this problem. Maybe the PCI would be a better solution...

my pc-pals had exactly the same problem..... tried up/downgrading drivers and all that..... then we tried it on my powerbook.... not a glitch  Shocked

but personally i don't trust firewire at all..... better than usb..... but that doesn't say alot....
Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway." (b.dylan)

TotalSonic

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2005, 10:37:28 AM »

zetterstroem wrote on Tue, 21

but personally i don't trust firewire at all..... better than usb..... but that doesn't say alot....

Except USB2.0 has a 60mb/s transfer rate vs. IEEE 1394's 50mb/s transfer rate (with USB1.1 at a turtle like 1.5mb/s).  Its probably clunky driver implementations in some USB2.0 devices that makes some Firewire devices faster in actual performance.

I still also prefer PCI cards for audio devices - but one thing an external Firewire device would give you would be portability so that you could bring it from studio to studio or room to room if you wanted to.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2005, 11:08:35 AM »

TotalSonic wrote on Tue, 21 June 2005 09:37

IEEE 1394's 50mb/s transfer rate

Firewire 800's 100mb/s transfer rate... might be good for Mac G5 owners.

Aren't FW800 cards available for PC ?

...is the FW800 (1394b) reliable ?  Cool
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

lucidwaves

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2005, 11:27:07 AM »

TotalSonic wrote on Tue, 21 June 2005 15:37

zetterstroem wrote on Tue, 21

Except USB2.0 has a 60mb/s transfer rate vs. IEEE 1394's 50mb/s transfer rate (with USB1.1 at a turtle like 1.5mb/s).  Its probably clunky driver implementations in some USB2.0 devices that makes some Firewire devices faster in actual performance.

I still also prefer PCI cards for audio devices - but one thing an external Firewire device would give you would be portability so that you could bring it from studio to studio or room to room if you wanted to.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Even with a higher theoretical xfer rate for USB 2, on actual data transfer tests that I have tried on 2 different laptops and on one desktop, firewire 400 is consistantly quicker than USB 2 by about 5%-10%.  Has anyone else tested this?
~Aaron Hall~
www.lucidwaves.com

Chris Cavell

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2005, 11:40:59 AM »

1394 vs. usb2 is the difference b/w isochronous and asynchronous data transfer methods in the protocol.  Firewire uses isochronous, which guarantees a fixed relatively large bandwidth, making it excellent for streaming or transferring large files.  USB2 on the other hand is typically better for smaller transfers: such as commands to/from peripherals, lots of itsy bitsy files, etc.

genericperson

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2005, 06:05:11 PM »

I hope i'm not contributing to stuff that Brad would consider off-topic.  But the subject got on to USB vs. Firewire, just wanted to chime in with some "street wisdom" (that would be Geek Street, by the way  Very Happy )

USB 2.0 can put up comparable burst numbers to Firewire, even exceed it sometimes.  But for *sustained* transfer rates (which is what we typically rely on) Firewire is better.  Besides better speed, Firewire has more robust time-stamping of the parsed data.

And that's comparing "basic" Firewire.  The latest Firewire probably kills USB 2.0 in all areas.

"Geek Street, the King of the Beat, you seem 'em rockin' that beat from across the street."

TotalSonic

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2005, 08:31:00 PM »

genericperson wrote on Wed, 22 June 2005 23:05

I hope i'm not contributing to stuff that Brad would consider off-topic.  But the subject got on to USB vs. Firewire, just wanted to chime in with some "street wisdom" (that would be Geek Street, by the way  Very Happy )

USB 2.0 can put up comparable burst numbers to Firewire, even exceed it sometimes.  But for *sustained* transfer rates (which is what we typically rely on) Firewire is better.  Besides better speed, Firewire has more robust time-stamping of the parsed data.

And that's comparing "basic" Firewire.  The latest Firewire probably kills USB 2.0 in all areas.

"Geek Street, the King of the Beat, you seem 'em rockin' that beat from across the street."

I appreciate yours and Chris's posts regarding this.  
It clarifies quite a bit in regard to specs vs. real world performance.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2005, 08:52:06 PM »

genericperson wrote on Wed, 22 June 2005 17:05

I hope i'm not contributing to stuff that Brad would consider off-topic.

not speaking for Brad of course, but  I think that any topic whether gear, concepts, music, or daily life of  an ME is fair game... IMVHO.

Peace Cool
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 21 queries.