R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Foo Fighters vinyl & the art of the flat transfer  (Read 21588 times)

TotalSonic

Re: Foo Fighters vinyl & the art of the flat transfer
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2005, 11:26:03 AM »

The Town Halo wrote on Fri, 19 August 2005 15:48

Hi, TotalSonic, thanks for posting that!

You're welcome!

Quote:

Did you have anything to do with the vinyl copies of the first two albums?

No I didn't.  I'm curious as to who did though.  

Quote:

You mentioned that you mastered the new album from 24-bit wav files....does this mean that the album was recorded digitally? Do you know if any of their album were recorded on an analog format?

Dunno.  It was all mixed to ProTools from what I gather though - the electric stuff was mixed by Nick Raskulineez and the acoustic stuff was mixed by Elliot Scheiner.

Quote:

I don't see how the vinyl copy could sound as good as the CD when it's going from digital to analog.

The CD would have to go through both Sample Rate Conversion (downsampling to 44.1kHz from the orignal 88.2kHz and 96kHz mix files) and requantizing (going from 24bit to 16bit).  How big of an actual audible degradation this does is certainly debateable - but to my ear there certainly is a small one.  

In the transfer to vinyl master as stated previously the files were sent to the cutterhead at their original high resolutions using a great sounding DAC - the Lavry Engineering Blue.    

Does this translate to the vinyl release sounding better than the CD release?  Since this is such a subjective matter only you will be able to judge this for yourself.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Ed Littman

« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2005, 02:58:39 PM »

The unfortunate update from my retaler is as follows.....

"Unfortunate news about this album. there will be no replacement availalble.  i'm just going to have to refund your order.

Apparently there is no way to tell if the original pressings have the error without opening the box set.  So, our distributer has returned all of them and will not be offering replacements and there is no word of a new pressing.

I apologize for the inconvenience and disappointment."

well i've got the cd.....
Ed

TotalSonic

« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2005, 03:05:54 PM »

Ed Littman wrote on Wed, 24 August 2005 19:58

The unfortunate update from my retaler is as follows.....

"Unfortunate news about this album. there will be no replacement availalble.  i'm just going to have to refund your order.

Apparently there is no way to tell if the original pressings have the error without opening the box set.  So, our distributer has returned all of them and will not be offering replacements and there is no word of a new pressing.

I apologize for the inconvenience and disappointment."

well i've got the cd.....
Ed

That's a drag Ed, sorry you had to go through that.  Apparently the folks at Diverse Vinyl - http://www.diversevinyl.com - did in fact go through their boxes of all of these and put together the best records out of each of them to make some clean sets for their customers.  I'm not sure if you want to bother further with  this - but if you still want to get the vinyl you might want to contact them.

EDIT:  oops - just realized that these guys are in England.  oh well!

Best regards,
Steve Berson

james glennon

« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2005, 01:02:14 PM »

I have just purchased both the US vinyl boxset (45rpm) and the UK vinyl boxset (331/3rpm).

I have had to wait to get replacement bass units for my Acoustic Energy AE1s, so as soon as I have done that I will give both versions a good listen to see if there is any difference.

I noticed on the deadwax of the US version it has Europadisk DMM SB and the number 82876 68038-1, the UK version doesn't have any reference to Europadisk but has the same matrix number.
Anybody got any opinions on this!
JG

JGreenslade

« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2005, 03:52:22 PM »

A bit OT, but I thought a foam surround had gone in one of my AE1s...

Having forked out for a pair of new drivers, the "buzzing" wasn't cured...(I assumed the buzzing was the coil scraping)

After checking the crossover assembly for loose components I conceded defeat and sent the speakers back to AE...

According to AE, my AE1s were the 2nd pair out of 10,000 sold on which one of the ports had come loose... They glued the port and there was no problem.

The foam does perish if you're on Series 1 or 2 - the S3 uses the newer foam compound that lasts longer (same as on the AE2 "Pro" - mine are pushing 5 yrs and the surrounds look as good as new).

Anyway, back to the Foo Fighters :-)

Justin
Audio is a vocational affliction

"there is no "homeopathic" effect in bits and bytes." - HansP

max cooper

« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2006, 12:35:19 PM »

Ed Littman wrote on Mon, 25 July 2005 16:27

I've got both the cd & vinyl.
The lp excellent. It has more depth & is less fatiguing at loud levels compared to the cd.

my concern is that the lp has so much surface noise & there are two strange peep sounds on the left then right side in the beginning of side one that are not on the cd.

any ideas of whats going on...
Ed

I hear a few bursts of microphonic guitar feedback in the intro of the first song on side A.  

I figure that's not what you're talking about.

I listened about ten times at increasing volume levels and I don't hear anything but the guitar feedback (Michell Gyrodec/Dynavector 10x4/Naim NAC72/ATC SCM 20 ASL's)

As for the surface noise, my copy is dead quiet.  I've seen variation in smoothness (my vocabulary regarding such things is limited) from one LP to the next; I assume this has to do with the preparation (maybe the temp?) of the "biscuit" before it goes in the stamper, but it certainly does affect the noise level.  I have one Kristofferson LP released by Columbia where the surface has the texture of an orange.  My copy of "In Your Honor" seems really nice.

As for the appearance of the package, as mentioned elsewhere, I was very impressed with "In Your Honor".

Nicely done packaging.
I'm infinitely baffled.

Ed Littman

« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2006, 08:35:36 PM »

max cooper wrote on Tue, 21 February 2006 12:35

Ed Littman wrote on Mon, 25 July 2005 16:27

I've got both the cd & vinyl.
The lp excellent. It has more depth & is less fatiguing at loud levels compared to the cd.

my concern is that the lp has so much surface noise & there are two strange peep sounds on the left then right side in the beginning of side one that are not on the cd.

any ideas of whats going on...
Ed

I hear a few bursts of microphonic guitar feedback in the intro of the first song on side A.  

I figure that's not what you're talking about.

I listened about ten times at increasing volume levels and I don't hear anything but the guitar feedback (Michell Gyrodec/Dynavector 10x4/Naim NAC72/ATC SCM 20 ASL's)

As for the surface noise, my copy is dead quiet.  I've seen variation in smoothness (my vocabulary regarding such things is limited) from one LP to the next; I assume this has to do with the preparation (maybe the temp?) of the "biscuit" before it goes in the stamper, but it certainly does affect the noise level.  I have one Kristofferson LP released by Columbia where the surface has the texture of an orange.  My copy of "In Your Honor" seems really nice.

As for the appearance of the package, as mentioned elsewhere, I was very impressed with "In Your Honor".

Nicely done packaging.

Still not sure what it was.  returned the lp set & unfortunately there was no replacement.  a couple of other guys on the board heard it & had only assumptions as to what it was

giraffe

« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2006, 01:34:22 PM »

wow, lots of good reading...
thankx.
andy bishop
um....... my dog ate your headphones....

Aussie0zborn

« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2006, 03:48:16 AM »

james glennon wrote on Sat, 12 November 2005 05:02

I have just purchased both the US vinyl boxset (45rpm) and the UK vinyl boxset (331/3rpm).

I noticed on the deadwax of the US version it has Europadisk DMM SB and the number 82876 68038-1, the UK version doesn't have any reference to Europadisk but has the same matrix number.
JG

Sounds like the UK version was not cut by Europadisk. If it was, I would suspect it would have both "Europadisk" and Steve's initials etched into it. The matrix number is the actual catalogue number which is often the same regardless of country of manufacture.

TotalSonic

« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2006, 11:40:48 AM »

Mike L Papas wrote on Tue, 28 February 2006 08:48

james glennon wrote on Sat, 12 November 2005 05:02

JG

Sounds like the UK version was not cut by Europadisk. If it was, I would suspect it would have both "Europadisk" and Steve's initials etched into it. The matrix number is the actual catalogue number which is often the same regardless of country of manufacture.

Yeah - what I cut was all at 45rpm - and every side's matrix was signed either "Europadisk DMM SB" or "Europadisk DMM SBerson" - so they obviously had someone else cut new masters (presumbably to make it a less expensive 2 record set) for the UK 33-1/3 version.  I'd be interested to know whether they transferred directly from the same high res files - I have a feeling probably not.  Also curious as to who cut the UK version.

Best regards,
Steve Berson  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 19 queries.