R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: New twist on power cables.  (Read 9983 times)

Level

Re: New twist on power cables.
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2005, 09:48:31 pm »

I think I can take some pics sometime this weekend. No calibration today. I had to go out of town for a gig...just got in and I am beat. You see what time I posted the first post. *and was up all night to boot) After 600 miles of driving...well..I will get to it sometime this weekend. Right now I don't even want to hear another set of speakers for at least a good 15hrs. Who knows where the camera is...where's the bed??
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

dcollins

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2005, 10:09:29 pm »

TotalSonic wrote on Thu, 16 June 2005 17:11

Unfortunately in all my blind a/b's I've found that solar and wind power only works well on new age tracks!

I thought wind power made the bass a little -- flatulent.

Har!

DC

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2005, 11:09:10 pm »

Many service entrance connections literally haven't been touched in 50+ years. Clean, tight AC connections can make a big difference.

Garrett H

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2005, 01:47:15 am »

compasspnt wrote on Thu, 16 June 2005 18:58

He claims that he can hear the difference between different brands of batteries in his pedals.  Perhaps he actually can...

I've heard that story before.  Does anyone have the source on it? Was it in an interview he did?

Anyway, you CAN hear the difference between a standard heavy duty batter and an alkaline.  It's not crazy significant, but some players think it is.  But different brands.  I have no idea what to say about that.
Treelady Studios, Pittsburgh, PA
http://www.treelady.com
Senior Contributor, Tape Op Magazine
http://www.tapeop.com

HansP

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2005, 02:02:20 pm »

i am very much convinced that mr. level's experience is meaningful and remarkable.

power voltage in the studio is much more stable now! it would be instructing, if he had recorded and posted diagrams of power load influence before the electrical rebuild. older lines, connections, weaker transformers, everything makes a change due to ohm's law.

for ideal power amps with line tolerance down to say ~100v no change should happen, but industrial power supplies in electronic devices can "breathe" a bit, when the line drops, as in moments of high bass dynamics etc.
just when the midrange amp needs the power because of a snare hit, the bass git has started to cause a voltage drop via tha bass amp, and so on.
modern solid state amps can have a very quick load pattern on the power line and therefore spoil it with LF noise and short drops, when the system has an impedance far from zero - this is likely the condition, that level had before his reconstructing. the influence might have even been into the mixing console and outboard effect devices.

I expect great relief after everything will have been re-adjusted to the new strength and dynamic "hammer"...
mixes could even accomplish increased HF dynamics and clarity.

but we are talking of fine ears and high quality gear anyway..

Level

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2005, 04:25:00 am »

The bottom was more lush and fatter before, the midrange window was a shade more laid back and the top fit like a glove.

Now, the bass is what is referenced to as "faster", the mids (300Hz up) seem to have moved a "squirt" forward and the top is laying very close to normal. In an attempt to normalize the sound to what it once was, 0.5db at 3K seems to do the trick, although the mid dynamics are a shade more than I used to enjoy.

Since this is a new reference (by default) the three tracks I remastered with it and sent to artists that I am in the middle of working with seem to sound "even cleaner" to them. So perhaps it is a step closer to what I want..but then again, their is a shift in overall balance that is observed. At no time do I feel it to be "worse" but simply "different" and adjusting to it will take at least a couple of days.

Just a slight difference in depth of field and lower end physical entertainment. Enough to notice.

I wish I had not noticed actually.

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

bblackwood

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2005, 05:33:15 am »

(bump for pics)

I can host the pics if you need, Bill.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

ammitsboel

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2005, 07:14:04 am »

Bill, if it's better then you should be able to notice it fairly quick.
You seem like you are in a lot of doubt?

Could it be that you have chosen many things in your system based on what you where use to?
"The male brain is designed for ecstasy" -Dr. Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg

Level

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2005, 01:52:11 pm »

ammitsboel quotes

You seem like you are in a lot of doubt?

Could it be that you have chosen many things in your system based on what you where use to?

I am not doubting that a difference is apparent to me but I as with any change in the chain, one must go through the teething and acquaintance steps so no second guessing will lurk around the corner. Once calibration is complete, then I will retain the confidence level I had before the switchover. I would not say it is worse nor better..it is just a "stiffer" sound that will require some hours of testing. I feel once it is all "said and done" (the calibration period) I will have a finer tuned overall system. I choose "upgrades", to maintain transparency, not to shift it. This "minor shift" will require a couple of days time to get totally confident.

bblackwood offers:

That is mighty kind of you to host them. My D Camera is at the other facility and we are going to have a cookout there...so come Monday, no later than Tuesday, I will take you up on the offer.

Smile

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

bblackwood

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2005, 03:20:35 pm »

Level wrote on Sat, 18 June 2005 12:52

My D Camera is at the other facility and we are going to have a cookout there...so come Monday, no later than Tuesday, I will take you up on the offer.

(bump for pics)
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Level

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2005, 12:38:17 am »

PM to you Brad for info..

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

dcollins

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2005, 12:48:53 am »

Level wrote on Tue, 21 June 2005 21:38

I've also been considering changing the AC service and would be interested to see what a top-notch installation such as Bill's looks like.  The 14 rod grounding system alone is impressive!

I only have one...

700 Amps is a lot!

DC

bblackwood

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2005, 06:24:03 am »

dcollins wrote on Tue, 21 June 2005 23:48

Level wrote on Tue, 21 June 2005 21:38

I've also been considering changing the AC service and would be interested to see what a top-notch installation such as Bill's looks like.  The 14 rod grounding system alone is impressive!

I only have one...

700 Amps is a lot!

Yah, I've been contemplating the same upgrade, which is why I'm interested in seeing Bill's install. He says he's swamped until the weekend of the 4th, so we'll have to wait, but it will be worth it.

Bill, please take shots of the install from different angles, please. I'd love to see the box, the grounding rods - everything you can get a shot of. Will give us good ideas if/when we upgrade out service.

Thanks!
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

barefoot

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2005, 06:59:30 pm »

dcollins wrote on Tue, 21 June 2005 21:48

700 Amps is a lot!

I guess when you're studio is burning 40 kilowatts yah need that other 40 kilowatts to run the A/C! http://www.barefootsound.com/homerecording_images/sweating1.gif Shocked
Thomas Barefoot
 Barefoot Recording Monitors

bblackwood

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2005, 09:17:28 pm »

I made this at sticky so it will be easier for all to see this new installation in Bill's new facility - I'm anxious to see it.

Thanks for your graciousness, Bill!
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up