R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: New twist on power cables.  (Read 13445 times)

Level

New twist on power cables.
« on: June 16, 2005, 07:00:20 AM »

Yesterday, I had a new transformer (50KVA) installed by the power company and the old 4ga 100AMP service replaced by a 700Amp service with 2X120V 2/O (+ 1/0 ground) cables to the studio. 14 ground rods installed (I though only 7 until I counted the copper grounds on input) at each room and separate service to the various types of sockets.

Mic pre level devices are on separate circuits than line level or power amp level. The internal wiring is new, 10/3 stranded, not solid.

Off power was from 9Am until 8PM yesterday and it got so damned hot here, I had to drive to wal-mart and push a shopping cart around for a few hours and mount up the usual 400 dollar wally world tally.

So, I began calibration today. I have some relatively discernible shifts in fq balance on some modules and others are minor. The entire signal chain does not sound exactly what I am used to...as I have more dynamic range on the mids and a more locked in bottom end, As for the top end with the chain, it is solid, clean and definitive as it has been but the mids certainly like to "poke above it" at times on familiar material. The bottom end power below 30Hz is rock solid, not really louder to the ears but more physical.

I think their is something to be said at least about the power from the transformer to the house through the meter.

I also feel that replacing a transformer that was made in 1957 with a modern transformer of 5 times the capacity, and having one that goes to no other buildings or homes may have something to do with it.

Nevertheless, the system seems to have a slight shift in midrange dynamics and bottom end force. As for translation, this is what this weekend is all about. Fine calibration with know sources and masters.

Is it better?

Well...I feel subjectively that it is a shade "different"

Time will tell.

Don't even ask me if the wires by not being broken in have anything to do with this.....

BTW, the pre transformer volatge is 7.2KV not 2.4 (which would be a very old, obsolete grid on substation secondary. Most sub/sec's are 11.7kv or 7.2kv actually.

Voltage is a steady 120.0 no matter what I do (including the electric dryer and HW heaters being on or switched in) and I have not even entertained the idea of connecting the power conditioners yet. Perhaps no need.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

Bob Olhsson

Re: New twist on power cables.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 09:01:04 AM »

I've heard JUST tightening up all of the AC connections including the service entrance make exactly that kind of a difference. It also made most audio cables sound the same.

ammitsboel

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 09:06:25 AM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Thu, 16 June 2005 14:01

I've heard JUST tightening up all of the AC connections including the service entrance make exactly that kind of a difference. It also made most audio cables sound the same.

Bob, then you are saying that the connectors have a saying in this matter but not the cables? That doesn't make any sense at all.
"The male brain is designed for ecstasy" -Dr. Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg

compasspnt

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 12:27:50 PM »

OK, fine.  But where are the "Twist On Cables" you spoke about?  I am tired of plugging in, and I was looking forward to twisting on instead!

bblackwood

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 12:30:30 PM »

ammitsboel wrote on Thu, 16 June 2005 08:06

Bob, then you are saying that the connectors have a saying in this matter but not the cables? That doesn't make any sense at all.

No, he's saying that the physical connection between the connectors and the cables can loosen over time, and tightening those can possibly the difference people hear...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

ammitsboel

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 01:12:46 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Thu, 16 June 2005 17:30

ammitsboel wrote on Thu, 16 June 2005 08:06

No, he's saying that the physical connection between the connectors and the cables can loosen over time, and tightening those can possibly the difference people hear...

Yes and thereby saying it's not because of the new or different cables.
When some one admit that connectors have an influence, then I can't see why that person would disregard cables, it's a contradicting statement.

I would assume that Level is using his usual power cords with the new transformer? although I will admit that assuming is the mother of all mistakes. But Bob is assuming too when he basically writes that Level should just have tightened his connectors.

ammitsboel

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 01:16:14 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Thu, 16 June 2005 17:27

OK, fine.  But where are the "Twist On Cables" you spoke about?  I am tired of plugging in, and I was looking forward to twisting on instead!

With some you can Laughing

barefoot

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005, 01:36:17 PM »

Wow!  What an incredible coincidence!  I just posted a little schpiel about pole transformers, power lines, and such yesterday.

Oh no, me thinks me gots a case of the ESP!Shocked
Thomas Barefoot
 Barefoot Recording Monitors

bblackwood

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2005, 02:06:06 PM »

ammitsboel wrote on Thu, 16 June 2005 12:12

Yes and thereby saying it's not because of the new or different cables.

No, he's saying that there's a chance that it's not the new cables.

Quote:

When some one admit that connectors have an influence, then I can't see why that person would disregard cables, it's a contradicting statement.

Please re-read it, Henrik. He didn't say that connectors have an influence, but that the quality of their physical connection can. Think of it like this: if you pull the speaker wire out of a banana plug on a speaker you won't hear any sound - this is not because of the quality of the connector or the cable, but due to the quality of the connection...

Quote:

But Bob is assuming too when he basically writes that Level should just have tightened his connectors.

No where did Bob say that. In fact, he simply stated something that he has heard.

Instead of running with some idea, why not try reading what the poster actually said instead of basically accusing them of a stance they never took?
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

ammitsboel

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2005, 02:21:16 PM »

Bob, am I totally wrong here?
Have I misunderstood what you wrote?

bblackwood

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2005, 03:39:16 PM »

Hey Bill, any chance we can get some photos of the new installation? Sounds like an impressive and expensive setup!
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2005, 06:18:23 PM »

Austin is home to great rock guitarist, Eric Johnson, who is almost as well known for his mania about cables, batteries, & orientation affecting his great tone. He had his studio custom wired to spec... starting at the service pole! But then again, I think Eric likes his Marshalls aligned with magnetic north ! Cool
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

compasspnt

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2005, 06:58:22 PM »

Eric is a special individual, and a special player.  (Hi Eric, if you're reading this!)

He claims that he can hear the difference between different brands of batteries in his pedals.  Perhaps he actually can...

TotalSonic

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2005, 08:11:30 PM »

One factor you guys are forgetting is the type of fuel being burned at the power plant that supplies your studio's electricity.  Nukes tend to work best for digital processors as it just makes everything clock a lot better.  Oil burning plants of course makes your analog chain sound "smoother".  I'd avoid setting up in an area that has to rely on coal burning plants as it often makes things sound dirtier and grittier.  Of course for most "transparent" and "neutral" you have to go with natural gas.  Unfortunately in all my blind a/b's I've found that solar and wind power only works well on new age tracks!

Very Happy
Best regards,
Steve Berson

compasspnt

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2005, 08:20:47 PM »

Steve!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 19 queries.