R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Benchmark or Mytek Dac?  (Read 25376 times)

Arf! Mastering

Re: Benchmark or Mytek Dac?
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2005, 10:27:44 AM »

Yannick Willox wrote on Sat, 25 June 2005 10:22

Listening blind does not work for me - living with it for a few weeks is much more interesting.

You need to do each type of listening - long-term as well as blind.  The blind test is always enlightening, humbling, or both.
“A working class hero is something to be,
Keep you doped with religion and sex and T.V.”
John Lennon

"Large signals can actually be counterproductive.  If I scream at you over the phone, you don’t hear me better. If I shine a bright light in your eyes, you don’t see better.”
Dr. C.T. Rubin, biomechanical engineer

Ronny

« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2005, 01:18:29 PM »

AlanS wrote on Sat, 25 June 2005 10:27

Listening blind does not work for me - living with it for a few weeks is much more interesting.

You need to do each type of listening - long-term as well as blind.  The blind test is always enlightening, humbling, or both.

Exactly, neither is better than the other and both are better than one. It pays to confirm your testing in the blind though, because the blind listen does not lie and it's the way the consumer hears your work. People are going to hear accumulative difference in the long term listen, but the longer the evaluation the more chance that human elements will sway the results. You also have build up and break in time factors on some gear that can sway the short term listen, that's why both are essential for a full and complete evaluation.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

dcollins

« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2005, 01:33:10 PM »

zetterstroem wrote on Sat, 25 June 2005 00:47

no.... it has two 6922 tubes in the analog stage.... but a tube psu.... 6x something rectifier and two ob2....

no digital filtering..... just a 8412 reciever chip that goes into the 1865.... then 18dB/oct analog filtering....

oh... yeah.... it's 18bits!!  Shocked truncated  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

6922 and 6DJ8 are the same thing.  I can't believe they would waste money on an anti-image filter!  Who needs it?

DC

zetterstroem

« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2005, 05:46:53 PM »

Laughing
Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway." (b.dylan)

Noiseflaw

« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2005, 04:51:18 PM »

Very very good point.
Peace...

michal @ mytek

« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2005, 01:17:45 AM »

Nathan Eldred wrote on Fri, 24 June 2005 15:28

If the differences weren't so startling and obvious IMHO I think the opinion would be completely off base, but it seems to be the general consensus of those who are actually putting the three in front of their ears instead of just reading forums.

I think Nathan hit the nail on the head. If there are enough differences, like in mentioned units, you can hear them non blind. But it's good to do a blind test just in case. Also you can't do it too fast and you have to listen for particular sounds not just broad frequency. As with anything it takes time and experience to get good at it. I myself don't have a natural talent of a golden ear but through the years have learned what to listen for from a real golden ear. As a matter of fact we always do the tests with at least one pair of golden ears.

Michal www.mytekdigital.com

dcollins

« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2005, 01:46:41 AM »

michal @ mytek wrote on Wed, 29 June 2005 22:17

As a matter of fact we always do the tests with at least one pair of golden ears.

How exactly does one become a "Golden Ear?"..................................

Do they claim to hear small changes in the barometric pressure?.....................

Or leave the room entirely at certain density altitudes.........................

Phwoar,  it's harder than I thought to just go stream of consciousness and ellipsis where we might otherwise have actual content......

About Whales.........................

DC

dave-G

« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2005, 05:44:31 AM »

dcollins wrote on Thu, 30 June 2005 01:46

As a matter of fact we always do the tests with at least one pair of golden ears.

It all starts with a horrible smelting accident.

-dg
DAVE GREENBERG
SONOPOD MASTERING

Gold

« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2005, 08:38:04 AM »

dave-G wrote on Thu, 30 June 2005 05:44

It all starts with a horrible smelting accident.

I haven't had a pile of smelt and beer in a few years. Maybe that's why I don't hear so good anymore.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

Ronny

« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2005, 02:35:47 PM »

dcollins wrote on Thu, 30 June 2005 01:46

DC

There is a difference between Golden Ear and Golden Ears.

First you have to take the Tin Ears course, than you have to graduate from the Silver Ears course and if you are real lucky and pass the entrance exam, you can get accepted into the Golden Ear program. I'm still working on my Tin Ears diploma, but hope one day that I can be a Golden Ear. My left ear is my best one, once I get it to pass as a golden ear, I'm going to work on my right one and get the full degree.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------