R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Original Soundtracs Topaz worth 700?  (Read 2252 times)

syrupcore

Original Soundtracs Topaz worth 700?
« on: June 12, 2005, 01:07:31 PM »

Hi all,

Just wanted to get some opinions.  I dont really know anything about this board.  It's 24/8 and it's not the project8 version. Other than the Miami Vice colors, it's cosmetically in good condition.  I have not had a chance to listen to it.  

I use pro-tools via 002r and have been using an Alesis Studio32 for monitoring, extra pres, routing to external effects and sometimes mixing.  The studio32 has served me pretty well but it's got a dead channel and it's sorta noisey.  Additionally, a good few pots are starting to flake out (some crackle, some dead zones) and no amount of spray seems to make them happy.

I dunno, I learned to mix on that board and would like to mix more outside of the box.  I dont really care about automation - at least for the sort of projects I want to mix out of the box.

Yeah, so that's me.  I can test it at home if I decide to go for it.  So, what sort of shape should it be in to be worth 700 bucks?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Will

hargerst

Re: Original Soundtracs Topaz worth 700?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 02:13:03 PM »

The original Topaz is a pretty damn decent board with a lot of features that you won't find in boards that sold new for 10 times that amount.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

bounce

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 07:15:52 PM »

I have the gaudy Miami Vice one as well and owned a Studio 32 when my old Mackie 24-8 was in the shop for repair. The topaz will destroy the Alesis with no pity or conscience : ) I was impressed with the Alesis' performance for 600 bucks new however considering all the other alesis small format mixers i had used live that were just ridicualously cheap and died one channel at a time (3 of them! they were aquired through different trades, etc.)

mckay
McKay Garner
Bounce Inventive Audio
Los Angeles

covert

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 09:08:01 AM »

HELL YES  

Caveat:  IMO the meter bridge is essential.

syrupcore

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 03:27:15 PM »

Thanks everyone for your input.  I'll let you know how it works out.

Will
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 17 queries.