R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tapes REcorded on a Tascam 38, can I play them back on a TEAC 80-8?  (Read 1245 times)

bloodstone

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I put up a tape I had recorded on a Tascam 38 on the TEAC 80-8 and the only thing that seemed a problem was that some of the tracks were a little hotter than the TEAC wanted (the overload light pulsed with the peaks, but it didn't sound distorted or out of phase).  Although tracks 1 & 2 seemed a little quieter and duller (but maybe I recorded them that way).  Thanks.

compasspnt

Re: Tapes REcorded on a Tascam 38, can I play them back on a TEAC 80-8?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 12:13:30 PM »

As long as your tape width and track width are the same (and in some cases, you can even get around the track width thing; for example, you can play a 16 track 2" tape on a 24 track recorder), after that it comes down to alignment of both machines.  Does your recorded tape have alignment tones?  If not, can you go back to the original 38 and make some?  That would entail recording at least 1K, 10K and 100 Hz reference tones from an oscillator (or from a plugin, such as Audiosuite) at 0 level on the 38's analogue VU meter onto the same type of tape you used before.  Then play that tape on the second machine, and you will see exactly what the differences are.  In the pro world of machines, one would align the playback machine to be the same as the original.  But in the TEAC/Tascam world, it is more difficult to do that.  If the differences are major, try to find someone who could align it for you.  If minor, just keep them in mind, and work accordingly.

Of course, to back up a step, in a perfect world, you would align the original machine with an MRL, or other alignment tape, before recording in the first place.

bloodstone

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 04:32:21 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Sun, 12 June 2005 17:13

As long as your tape width and track width are the same (and in some cases, you can even get around the track width thing; for example, you can play a 16 track 2" tape on a 24 track recorder), after that it comes down to alignment of both machines.  Does your recorded tape have alignment tones?  If not, can you go back to the original 38 and make some?  That would entail recording at least 1K, 10K and 100 Hz reference tones from an oscillator (or from a plugin, such as Audiosuite) at 0 level on the 38's analogue VU meter onto the same type of tape you used before.  Then play that tape on the second machine, and you will see exactly what the differences are.  In the pro world of machines, one would align the playback machine to be the same as the original.  But in the TEAC/Tascam world, it is more difficult to do that.  If the differences are major, try to find someone who could align it for you.  If minor, just keep them in mind, and work accordingly.

Of course, to back up a step, in a perfect world, you would align the original machine with an MRL, or other alignment tape, before recording in the first place.

I see.  The problem is, the 38 I own is broken (the one the songs were recorded on), and the cost of repair is prohibitive.  I'm trying to transfer these 8 track tapes into the digital domain so that I can mix them and possibly enhance them using my MX-2424 and PC to do some additional overdubs.  Since I don't have the ability to print test tones (I realize I should have done this prior) what would I be listening for as symptoms of a problem with playback on the 80-8?

Please expand on what you mean by "If minor, just keep them in mind and work accordingly".  Thanks again.  

compasspnt

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 05:53:36 PM »

Ah, a different kettle of fish, then.

What I meant was that if you did have tones, and there were minor differences such as slightly lower 10k playback response on a track or two (say, less than 2 dB), you could EQ slightly w/ a high shelf in playback to more nearly attain the original intention.  Something like that...

Since you can't use the 38, you will just have to do the best you can.  It's all about what it sounds like to you, anyway.  So if a couple of tracks are slightly dull, just judiciously make them sound as you want them to.  If some of the tracks are just slightly too hot, you'll probably be OK.  There should be some headroom built in there.  Just listen carefully at low volume to find any clipping.  Turn down the playback output as necessary if there is clipping.  BUT no matter what, be sure not to transfer the level too hot into the DAW, or you'll open up an whole new can of worms with digital distortion by the time you get to the end!

Best of luck!

("kettle of fish" AND "can of worms" in the same post!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 16 queries.