R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing Plextools graph reports  (Read 3215 times)

Chris Cavell

Re: Printing Plextools graph reports
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2005, 07:48:28 AM »

In less than 2 years (probably less than one, but I'm shooting on the safe side as my memory's a little fuzzy this morning):

Steinberg (designer of Nuendo, Wavelab, etc.) was acquired by Pinnacle (designer of primarily first-timer-consumer-end video software)

Pinnacle was then bought by Avid (now owners of also M-Audio, Digidesign, and designs very high-end pro video solutions as well as a few "light" pro-sumer solutions...similar to the difference b/w HD/TDM and LE in Digidesign software)

While that was "going down", yamaha salvaged Steinberg out of Pinnacle just before Pinnacle was gobbled by Avid.

It's been a tumultuous few years for Steinberg...to say the least.

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2005, 10:08:32 AM »

With the possible exception of Avid, I don't think the folks who have bought DAW applications have had a clue about how complex and ultimately, because of that complexity, how unprofitable MIDI/digital audio applications are. We saw what happened with Gibson and we'll see what happens with Apple and Yamaha.

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2005, 04:45:26 PM »

Chris Cavell wrote on Fri, 17 June 2005 16:23

The image + cue sheet is pretty infallible though...even if the format becomes defunct, you can easily recreate the exact original just by reading the cue sheet in a text editor and applying everything to the image (one long pcm wave file) manually.

Well put CC.... 100% agreement ... pcm audio.... either Broadcast WAV or AIFF ... one long image file ... with Cue Sheet ... should take care of it ... for a few decades.

here's a question... which storage media?  DVD-R, CD-R, Hard Drive, or a combo ?

will they eventually go the way of the floppy disc?

most likely DVD-R will be around for a while.  Cool
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Chris Cavell

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2005, 07:56:25 PM »

JayTea wrote on Sat, 18 June 2005 15:45

here's a question... which storage media?  DVD-R, CD-R, Hard Drive, or a combo ?

Funny you bring that up...I'm one of the "idiots" that fell for DVD-RAM when it first came out; with the understanding that they'd be readable by ANY DVD-ROM drive made in the next year (well, that's what they advertised anyway).  Several years later, I'm stuck with a dead DVD-RAM drive and hundreds of unreadable discs...luckily I haven't had to go back to them...yet...but if I do, I'll probably hunt for a replacement drive that can read dvd-ram discs and transfer everything to the medium of the day.

Quote:

will they eventually go the way of the floppy disc?

Probably...but who knows when???

Quote:

most likely DVD-R will be around for a while.  Cool

That's my current hope anyway.

Cheers,
Chris
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.