R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Someone buy Steve Albini a fuckin' drink.....!  (Read 7702 times)

chrisj

Re: Someone buy Steve Albini a fuckin' drink.....!
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2005, 04:33:24 PM »

andy_simpson wrote on Sun, 12 June 2005 18:21

I guess those tracks get low rms from the large sections of basically quiet music....I got my -17.4 with a non-stop pumping rock tune, with very small intro/outro quiet bits.....

Now wait a moment- Unless that's a real sparse arrangement or has funny instrument selection, you might not even WANT lower RMS than that. If there isn't some RMS loudness swinging behind the 'pumping rock' it'll sound wiry, kinda spastic, uncomfortable, just too lean. Not everybody LIKES the mixes of 'Rumours', and The Wall is all bass drum- there's disco mixes with less bass/BD. It's kind of wasteful to put in THAT much peak energy in a modern recording, unless you specifically want that faux-70s, dry, drums-of-cardboard-boxes vibe. It's legitimate to want things more solid than that.

I hate to join the 'use your ears' crowd at this point, but use your ears Wink if you have something utterly over-the-top like 'Everybody's Got Something To Hide But Me And My Monkey" by the Beatles, you're not going to want the RMS to be superlow. If you have a ballad, you might want some things- backing vox, guitars, keyboards- to be superlow RMS, but do you want a softly-sung vocal to be superlow, or the bloom on a bass note? No, those need to have serious body behind them.

Do what's right for the music, not following formulas. The only reason you're going for extreme low RMS is that so many people have gone for extreme high RMS as a formula, and it sounded awful. You won't naturally get a P-bass to have low RMS and still sound great, and what if the track is centered around the bass?

Tomás Mulcahy

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2005, 04:52:53 PM »

davebythelake wrote on Tue, 14 June 2005 18:02

Peter Gabriel's "Security". An early all-digital recording, they seemed to be experimenting to see just how extreme they could get with the dynamic range. Great album.

Yes, it is great, particularly "Lay your hands on me". Then they go a remove all that dynamic range with the remaster Mad

It's wierd, because the "So" remaster is stunning.

Andy Simpson

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2005, 05:41:56 AM »

Chris, I know rms is not a great measurement tool, and I'm not actually looking at any numbers when mixing.....it's just an interesting reference number when I've finished the mix....

And yeah, the rock mix at -17.4 is sort of stabby and sparse for half the track and quite dry....it's actually a pretty tubby ('warm') recording.....and a huge bass sound too.

I only looked at the rms's (&crest) because it's a simple way of comparing my mixes to the classics 'on paper'.....

Anyway, yes as always, ears first....numbers for curiosity.

Andy

rankus

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2005, 04:13:05 PM »

Was talking to an ME buddy the other day on this topic, and he mentioned that one of the major labels had sent out a document requesting that he master at no louder than -6 rms !!  (They feel that overcompresion is to avoided) (LOL)....  Twisted Evil  Rolling Eyes

I'm pretty happy with my up tempo rock tunes at -12 ballpark lately.
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

J.J. Blair

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2005, 04:23:48 PM »

Robert Philbeck wrote on Sun, 12 June 2005 18:02

That's really great!  I am not sure how artist became so infatuated with overly compressed mixes, but if you sit anyone down and play them "By Your Side" by the Black Crowes, and then "Southern Harmony and Musical Companion", and ask them which they think sounds better, they'll pick "Southern...." every time.  You can use "Facelift" by Alice in Chains for the heavy guys too.  Great sounding records!

-Robert

Oddly enough, my friend who mastered Facelift is the current culprit who insists on using recursive processing, even when I ask him not to.  Needless to say, Facelift was made before a lot of these new fangled pieces of crap which were allegedly supposed to make things sound better.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

bobkatz

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2005, 01:03:27 PM »

andy_simpson wrote on Fri, 10 June 2005 15:26

Anyway, ain't that a refreshing change?

Andy

Very nice (Amen). Actually, I'm finding most of the Indie A&R/Producers I work with to be much more amenable to masters that are dynamic and at a sensible level. As long as you're not doing "top of the pops" that is.

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

finster

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2005, 11:51:16 AM »

Agreed.
In my town im opening the eyes and ears of my clients to the bummer that is recursive processing.

Every little bit helps.

-Finster
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 19 queries.