R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: smaller drums?  (Read 3924 times)

Benmrx

smaller drums?
« on: June 10, 2005, 04:41:50 AM »

I've gotten to this point in my tracking abilities, where I can really get that nice, big drum sound.  Everyone's always happy.  However there are songs where I would much rather have a smaller sounding kit.

I've been listening to the Magnetic Fields "I" album alot lately.  I really love the way that record sounds as a whole.  Now I'm not trying to get the same drum sounds as on that record......that would obviously be impossible.  However, I would love to get that sort of small, dry, simple sound.

I know things like reverb (or lack there of) is a factor.  But there's something else (or lots of things) I'm missing.  I've thought about putting something t-shirts on the snare and toms, mono OH, record in a small room, don't close mic the toms, ect.  I want to get this sound at the tracking stage, too inspire fitting overdubs later on.

Anyone got any tricks, ideas.  Anyone else going for that type of sound and had luck.  

BTW, my usual mics (lately) are: Beta52 for kick, 57's on top/btm snare, 57 rack tom, 421 floor tom, pair of 4033a for OH, PPA tube mic for mono room, and I track to 2" tape.

George_

Re: smaller drums?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 05:18:42 AM »

I'm not a pro (call me amateur)but is this not a matter of the source? if you record a huge sounding snare, you will get one..

like you said putting "t-shirts;)" on the toms blahblah, will get you to the right point..

"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola

t(h)ik

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 09:51:01 AM »

What about the three mic method?

http://www.mercenary.com/3micdrumstuf.html

I am not familiar with the album you are citing but if smaller could also be less produced or classic I have found this to be quite good.

But I am still learning my ass off, hope this helps or stimulates debate....

Lemme nough,

Tik
I used to be self effacing, but I couldn't even do that right....
www.pmtstudios.com

lord

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 10:20:52 AM »

Yea .. 2 or 3 drum mics, not too close...

Drums tuned "thuddy" ... pinstripes or something

A nice dead drum booth

That should be "not big"

bloodstone

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 02:37:06 PM »

Pipe the drums through a pair of headphones or nearfield monitors and mic the headphones or speakers.  That will make them sound small, and maybe artistically interesting.

j.hall

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 08:06:10 PM »

why not rent a smaller sized kick drum and some smaller thinner cycmbals, maybe some narrower shelled toms (i'm talking depth not diameter)

usually smaller kick drums (20", 18") have a much tighter more focused tone.  you don't get "huge" sounds you get very controled and focused sounds.

i've recorded A LOT of small kits.  a good friend really loves smaller kits and he is a collector.  i'd have to say the coolest one yet is a 60's green satin flame grestch kit.

Benmrx

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 08:31:32 PM »

Wow, thanks for everyones input.  I definitly agree about the source being a big part of the sound, and obviously the part being played.  

what do you mean by pinstripes, I"m not a drummer.  Is this a type of shell or drum head?  

running the drum mix through some NS-10s or a small P.A. would probably do the trick, and I think I'll give that a try.  However I really want to get the sound at the tracking stage.

the 3 mic thing always seems to make the drums very ambient, at least in our tracking room.  However, that idea combined with the t-shirts, and in a smaller room (we have a 10x11 "lounge") is probably going to get me pretty close.

smaller drums was an idea, except I'm pretty limited to what the bands bring in.  Not usually any money to rent anything.

Also, any advice on drum heads?  Coated, single ply, ect.

compasspnt

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2005, 02:35:04 PM »

Pinstripes are a type of Remo heads.

My opinion is that the fewer mics you use, the bigger the sound gets.

I would say the space you record in, and of course the drums themselves and how they are played, will make the most difference.  You want a smaller, deader space.  Deadening the ring on certain drums will help out a bit as well.

Good luck.  Let us know.

j.hall

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 08:48:58 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Sun, 12 June 2005 13:35

Deadening the ring on certain drums will help out a bit as well.

which is exactly what a remo pinstripe head will do.

it's a two ply head with a "muffle ring" built into the outer edge.  i use them on my toms as other heads don't seem to work that great on my particular drum get.  they generally yield a smoother tone without a sharp attack.

my drums have some sort of coating on the inside of the shell which makes them much louder and much brighter....pinstripes are a perfect match for that.....

drumsound

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2005, 12:30:29 AM »

You might also drape some packing blankets around the drums.

takeout

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2005, 10:06:26 AM »

Supposedly the Neil Young "Harvest" drum sound involved circles of cardboard sitting on the drum heads.

There were a few Beatles tracks where a dish towel got draped over the snare.

There's always the old Nashville "wallet on the snare" trick...

lord

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2005, 03:43:46 PM »

Lucky now you can get get o-rings and a bunch of other hi-tech dampening products at any drum shop, and the days of wallets, duct-tape butterflies, cardboard, dead-ringers, and god knows what else... are somewhat behind us.

NelsonL

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2005, 04:16:46 PM »

I love the drums on Harvest-- I've heard that Neil took the drummer aside and told him "no licks." That no frills, solid feel is great.

Other dampening suggestions...

Instant oatmeal packets and super glue.

Teabags.

Sticky Notes.

Remaindered copies of the bands last record.

compasspnt

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2005, 07:27:25 PM »

rattleyour wrote on Wed, 15 June 2005 16:16

Other dampening suggestions...

Instant oatmeal packets and super glue.

Teabags.

Sticky Notes.

Remaindered copies of the bands last record.

And Light Days adhesive mini pads.

Benmrx

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2005, 08:49:11 AM »

Even though I didn't think it was right for their particular sound, I had a band come in were the drummer had a manila folder full of notebook paper duct taped to his snare.  It was a bit tooooo cardboardy for my taste, but that could work if used properly......and for the right song.

I'd probably rather used things like wallets, cardboard, duct tape, ect. rather then buy something.  If it gets the sound......why not?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.