R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moyu 896 meter levels vs. Cubase levels? Where should they be?  (Read 2600 times)

Christopher

OK I am a bit confused! I have heard that you should never exceed 0db on the input (Motu 896) meters which I understand to prevent distortion. I have also heard that you want to have the input signal as close to 0db without clipping to reduce excess noise. What should the meters in cubase be at when recording? Should they be well below 0db for recording then should the mix be increased in volume later? Or should they match the input levels? What if all the recorded tracks are say at -2db or less but the commutation of the tracks playing causes the master to clip? Thanks for you patients!

PookyNMR

Re: Moyu 896 meter levels vs. Cubase levels? Where should they be?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 10:02:55 AM »

Christopher wrote on Thu, 09 June 2005 05:38

OK I am a bit confused! I have heard that you should never exceed 0db on the input (Motu 896) meters which I understand to prevent distortion. I have also heard that you want to have the input signal as close to 0db without clipping to reduce excess noise. What should the meters in cubase be at when recording? Should they be well below 0db for recording then should the mix be increased in volume later? Or should they match the input levels? What if all the recorded tracks are say at -2db or less but the commutation of the tracks playing causes the master to clip? Thanks for you patients!

The levels coming into your converter definitely should not hit zero.  I usually have them peaking at -6 at the most.  With 24 bit there's lots of room.  Last thing you want is a little distortion surprise cause you set your levels a little too hot.

One problem is that if you have all your tracks really hot, you're going to have to do some attenuation in the mix so as to keep your master buss levels comfortably below zero.  IMO, it's foolish to record super hot tracks only to turn them down later.  Or even more foolish is to record tracks at good levels but then normalize them all only to attenuate them later at some stage in the mix.

Nathan Rousu
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.