R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1000 bucks to spend option a) analog mixer b) going digital!  (Read 2927 times)

2FLY

Yo guys,

My M.O.:

Midi and audio in Logic. All audio recorded through Joemeek mic and pre-amp. My old Yamaha MC1602 mixer is in it’s winter. I need to hook up a new mixer.

I want to track and mix in Logic. People have adviced me to go totally digital.

My setup – output channels:

JV2080 – 2
Proteus – 2
U220 – 2
S950 – 5

TOTAL 11

My PC:

AMD Athlon 1700
40Gb for audio
20Gb for  program files
512Mb internal mem
Audiowerk 8 soundcard

I got +/- 1000 bucks to spend.

Questions about all digital:

1. How do I hook up my:

Passsive monitors (Dynaudio BM5’s)
MD recorder
CD player
Vinyl player

2. Can I still use my outboard gear (TL-Audio C-5021)?

A friend of mine uses a Hammerfall interface and Creamware and tracks through 2 x ADAT Litepipe.

I’d like to get info on the actual way of working when it’s all digital.

Advice. Advice. Advice.
Out of respect for Georgie my real name ->

Marchiano
Xtra Fly Records

"If you do what you've always done, you get what you've always gotten"

danickstr

Re: 1000 bucks to spend option a) analog mixer b) going digital!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 09:25:53 PM »

you still need a mixer. a thousand bucks will not get you a great mixer, so i am not sure how to advise you.
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

Technotechno

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 01:41:00 PM »

Ok, if you want to go completely digital you need to find out if Logic has "Audio Delay Compensation" It has Plugin Delay Compensation for sure but Im not sure about ADC. You will need this if you want to monitor your external stuff through the software. I know you can do this with Cubase SX 3....BTW, this feature also allows you to use outboard FX....Its very cool actually.

YOU WILL DEFINITELY NEED: A controler. Trust me on this one. I spent 3 years mixing with a mouse because I thought controlers were rubbish. Seeing as your budget is tight I highly reccomend the Behringer BCF. I can see and hear the scoffing, but believe me FOR THE MONEY this thing is brilliant. At 200 euros your NOT going to find a damn thing even close at that price range. When I went completeley digital I SORELY missed having a console. Teh change nearly destroyed me musically...I kid you not... And beleive it or not, its only a matter of weeks I have been using a controler and already my productivity has increased by about 50% when it comes to the mixing...God only knows why i stuck it out with the mouse for soooo long.

I also think you need to think about all your hardware boxes. Remember your going to be working in a completely different way than you were before. for starters, as much as you think you will need 5 outs from your S950 I dont think you will. Bear in min with each active input and output your causing strain on your processor. Im not sure how fast your CPU is....if its a P4 1.7? I think you will struggle a bit? Anyway, you may not need so many inputs as you think because its simplicity to commit to audio thus freeing up the sampler again.

You would connect your monitors to an amplifier, then coonect the amps inputs directly to the main outputs of your soundcard.

So far you have spent 400 euros on your two controlers. Why not then buy a 12 channel Mackie VLZ mixer and simply plug your hardware in to that. Take the main outs from the mixer and attach them to the first two inputs of your soundcard. You can also plug in your MD recorder, CD player, and your Turntables mixer. This way you have everything plugged in, ready to monitor and record and you havent taxed your systems CPU. Sort of the best of both worlds,

As for the rest of your question Im going to leave that to some one else. You did aska bout ten question there, and Ive got typingisitis now hehe..

Carl Taylor 43

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 04:47:50 AM »

ive got a MOTU 828 and it uses what they call "Cue Mix" which just means it lets you monitor through the actual interface so there is no latency.

Also the Mackie Onyx series have a firewire option for direct conection to the computer

http://www.mackie.com/products/onyx1640/index.html

dont know how good they but its an option

Barish

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 07:41:36 AM »

It looks like George needs a new forum from scratch for himself.

M.
M Ozturk

Albert

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 10:04:09 AM »

You can find used Tascam DM-24 digital mixers for about $1,000 these days. This gives you the best of both worlds, giving you enough inputs for your synths while at the same time allowing you to mix completely in the digital realm. The DM-24 is an eight buss mixer and has 6 aux sends, so it would allow you to interface with your current outboard gear.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 18 queries.