R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 buss comp under 2K?  (Read 3772 times)

Benmrx

2 buss comp under 2K?
« on: June 08, 2005, 12:57:23 AM »

First off, thanks to everyone who's helped me out, and/or offered their opinions to my questions.  That being said, here's another one if anyone cares to give their 2 cents.

I mix down to a masterlink, and have gotten pretty good results with its built in DSP.  However, I would love to have a nice analog compressor..........and EQ...and, ect. ect. to put on the 2 buss.  But I'm wanting to start with a decent compressor.  The budget will probably have to be under 2K, and we usually record indie rock kind of stuff.  

Also, I'm more interested in a nice compressor that will glue the mix together in a pleasing way, as opposed to making it louder.  I'm also a fan of color over clean.

Fletcher

Re: 2 buss comp under 2K?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 03:26:17 AM »

One of the 2 buss compressors I like best is the Drawmer 1968 [gee, really... ya think?].  

It has a pretty deep, rich, and euphonic texture.  The gain reduction cell is a FET and the output stage tube... there are a couple of other tricks to the thing like the "big" switch [which places a 100Hz filter into the detector's side chain which means the compression is driven from the vocal instead of from the kik drum.

You can find them for $1,775 from Soundpure.com which is a hell of a steal if you ask me... pretty much anything else that is even remotely worth a shit is closer to $3k

... and no, I don't make a dime of royalties from any of the Mercenary Editions stuff... I just get stuff I really like out of the deal.  I've been doing that sort of stuff for years, it was only a couple of years ago that I began asking the manufacturer put the words "Mercenary Edition" on the front to acknowledge our contributions to product's development... I don't even get a "free unit" http://mercenaryeditions.com/mercenary_edition.shtml tells the whole story.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Benmrx

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 09:55:23 PM »

Fletcher, thanks for the tip on soundpure.com.  that does seem like a very good deal.  I've read about the "big" switch, and have been curious to actually hear it in action.  

Most everything I've come across that seems worthy of the 2buss is indeed in the 3K range, which is just a bit too spendy for our little indie studio.  And I really dislike using plug-ins...maybe it would be a different story if we had an HD system.......but alas we're using a digi001 to mix, and a 2" machine to track.  The 2" machine is actually what really keeps us in business.  We're pretty much the only studio in town with the "affordable" rate that has a good tape machine.

so any other prospective pieces under 2K?

mumbles

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 11:33:16 AM »

If you have/ know a tech, there is a DIY SSL comp clone for about $300 in parts.  My tech knows the web site, but I'll ask him.

Otherwise, the 1968 may be your best bet.  

Seamus
Seamus
Upstate, NY

Benmrx

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 03:03:49 AM »

I think I'll go for the drawmer, there's just something about the SSL sound that I really don't like........a bit too slick for my taste.  At least for the stuff I record, which is usually of the "indie rock" genre.  I have had good experiences with some of their EQs, and would love to pick up a racked pair at some point, but that would be after I've picked up a pair of those sweet langevin EQP-1A EQs....ahhh....lust.

wait......$300?  Actually I may be interested.  I don't have a tech, know a few, but would rather take a stab at it myself.  I've gotten way into "circuit bending", especially with guitar pedals and cheapo reverb units.  But would be interested in building something that did more then the crazy effecty thing.

I'd love the link if you can get it.  thanks for the tip.

Fletcher...what's your take on the drawmer six pack?  Is this something like a Presonus ACP-88........except usable?  Or is this really only for 5.1 stems?  I don't do 5.1, would I be spending money on lots of features that I wouldn't use?  Thanks in advance.

Everglass

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 10:19:53 PM »

We spoke to Fletcher about this same issue a few months ago.  Money wasn't so much the object, but we went with the Drawmer.  I can't tell you how happy we are with the unit - it is AMAZING.  It is so underatted and in comparison it is underpriced (thank God!)to its competitors.

I highly recommend this unit to anyone after a good mix buss compressor.  The Big switch allows the compressor to be triggered off the vocals instead of the kick and bass as it allows the low transients to pass uncompressed.  That has always been my major gripe with all other stereo mix compressors - the kick and bass determine whats going on.  That always annoyed me.  With the BIG switch I have found a compressor which works so much better because of this feature.  I believe the API 2500 can do a similar thing, but it is more expensive.  

James Everglass

Benmrx

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2005, 12:56:11 PM »

Everglass - thanks for the opinion, I love hearing that kind of stuff.  And I believe we can probably demo a unit here in Seattle, but I'm sure we won't want to take it back.

Thanks again.

ssltech

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 03:01:37 PM »

I've built a couple of SSL buss comps before, www.gyraf.dk has the info, you can buy PCBs at www.groupDIY.com (Prodigy Pro Forums)

The "SSL Sound" has nothing to do with it: once you get the buss comp out of the console, you can use it to smash Rhythm subgroups. It really is a different beast, very useful, and you WILL NOT be disappointed!

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

mumbles

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 08:45:23 PM »

Thanks for fielding that one.  I couldn't remember where I saw it.

Seamus
Seamus
Upstate, NY

squeegybug

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2005, 12:42:22 AM »

Thumbs Up  on the Drawmer 1968 ME.  I have been extremely pleased with this compressor on the mix bus, and also often use it for tracking.  Ridiculously easy to set up, always a clear, musical tone.  And the price is unbeatable.

I finally got to where I just leave it on the 2-bus and mix from scratch with it on.  The Big switch allowed this compressor to replace my multiband.  I agree with whoever said once that the 1968 makes raw mixes sound like a record...

Good job on this Fletcher, thanks.

Steve

drumsound

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2005, 02:36:16 AM »

squeegybug wrote on Sat, 18 June 2005 23:42

I agree with whoever said once that the 1968 makes raw mixes sound like a record...

Good job on this Fletcher, thanks.

Steve

I've said that about the '69 many times.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 19 queries.