R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple To Switch To Intel  (Read 8982 times)

Loco

Re: Apple To Switch To Intel
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2005, 11:00:52 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Mon, 06 June 2005 17:21

The big question I have is what is going to be the Apple component in the CPU that keeps people from driving OSX on their PCs?

It's all in the motherboard. you can't run MacOS on an IBM PowerServer even though it uses a bunch of PowerPC processors.
Carlos "El Loco" Bedoya

"There's no right, there's no wrong. There's only popular opinion"   Jeffrey Goines
http://www.tukanart.com

Tomas Danko

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2005, 01:29:47 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Mon, 06 June 2005 22:21

The big question I have is what is going to be the Apple component in the CPU that keeps people from driving OSX on their PCs?

Seems like the hoopla is merely because Apple decided to put an Intel processor into their upcoming iPOD...
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

bobkatz

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2005, 05:02:15 PM »

howlback wrote on Mon, 06 June 2005 23:15

Can't wait for my next apple product to suck up processor speed running a powerpc emulator!  ProTools will "run real good" then!

Oh my god, the implications of that statement are enormous. Is it the OS or the processor that makes Pro Tools tend to work better on a Mac?

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

blairl

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2005, 05:16:01 PM »

bobkatz wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 15:02

...the implications of that statement are enormous. Is it the OS or the processor that makes Pro Tools tend to work better on a Mac?

BK

Rail Jon Rogut uses PT with both Macs and Windows and tends to think that PT with Windows is a little more stable.  I use a Mac so I can't confirm or deny this.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2005, 06:43:40 PM »

I can't imagine PT being MORE stable than it is on a Mac.  The only time I have ever crashed is due to a corrupt FW drive that the session was on.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

zetterstroem

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2005, 04:39:32 AM »

blairl wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 22:16

bobkatz wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 15:02

...the implications of that statement are enormous. Is it the OS or the processor that makes Pro Tools tend to work better on a Mac?

BK

Rail Jon Rogut uses PT with both Macs and Windows and tends to think that PT with Windows is a little more stable.  I use a Mac so I can't confirm or deny this.

yeah.... but he's about the only one saying so......
Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway." (b.dylan)

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2005, 08:30:41 AM »

blairl wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 16:16

...Rail Jon Rogut uses PT with both Macs and Windows and tends to think that PT with Windows is a little more stable.
I do too and have had the same experience. I expected this to be the case because of the nightmares my friends had trying to run real-time audio applications on NextStep and Unix in general. To Apple's credit it has been lots less of a train wreck than many expected.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2005, 10:54:42 AM »

Bob, please explain how you find PT to be unstable on the OSX platform.  How can something be "more stable" than something that has no instability?
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2005, 02:56:01 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 09:54

...How can something be "more stable" than something that has no instability?
I guess you've been luckier than my friends.

howlback

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2005, 04:02:56 PM »

bobkatz wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 17:02

howlback wrote on Mon, 06 June 2005 23:15

Can't wait for my next apple product to suck up processor speed running a powerpc emulator!  ProTools will "run real good" then!

Oh my god, the implications of that statement are enormous. Is it the OS or the processor that makes Pro Tools tend to work better on a Mac?
BK

Neither, PT works better on a Mac because of the pure stylishness of the box. One cannot underestimate the "wow-factor" when clients come in and see my 30" Cinema display - who cares how it sounds or how many times it crashes.

You have to "think different" Bob!

Johnny B

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2005, 04:13:29 PM »

LMAOROTF.
"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality,
they are not certain; as far as they are certain,
they do not refer to reality."
---Albert Einstein---

I'm also uncertain about everything.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2005, 09:34:35 AM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 11:56

J.J. Blair wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 09:54

...How can something be "more stable" than something that has no instability?
I guess you've been luckier than my friends.

Ask your friends if they are using any hacked plug-ins.  That might be the culprit.  
studio info

Rail Jon Rogut

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2005, 12:36:39 AM »

I did a mix today on a dual G5 and it crashed 3 times.. that's 3 times more than my HD3 Accel system crashes on my XP rig.

Rail
Recording Engineer

www.platinumsamples.com

Engineered Drums for BFD & Superior Drummer 2.0

J.J. Blair

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2005, 01:31:37 AM »

RJR, what storage device were you using?  
studio info

zetterstroem

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2005, 03:56:16 AM »

to be fair most computers crashes..... no matter if it's mac or pc's..... and there's always someone who has entirely stable systems..... why is almost a matter of voodoo....

i just like the fact that i can surf the net while bouncing tracks and do other "stupid" things..... i wouldn't dare that with a pc..... would you?? no viruses or worm or anything after 5 years on the net with a music computer (actually all macs i use)......

and to have to have a spare motherboard lying around  Shocked ....

oh.... and yeah... i really like osx.... and don't say the os doesn't matter ...."if it can open my music app's i'm satisfied".... i use the os alot.... beacause i have to send and recieve mails and stuff while working (wonder how i got stress?) ..... maybe burn in the background etc.....

but back on topic i can understand jobs getting tired of not having the fastest machines on the planet.... and even worse....  trying to explain to people that a powerpc processor gives more bang for each MHz than intel chips.....

as far as i understand it will not be until medio 2007 that all macs will be intel.... so i hope things change before that.... i don't like it when all companies use the same hardware..... and even worse.... the fact that 90% of all computers run windoze...

what will be next? ugly plastic cabs?  Very Happy
Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway." (b.dylan)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 19 queries.