R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 32 Bit Floating Point In LE  (Read 1411 times)

bigaudioblowhard

32 Bit Floating Point In LE
« on: June 06, 2005, 12:48:33 PM »

A client sent me wav files on CDR that are not recognized by Protools LE on my Digi 002. They open fine and playback in Sound Forge where I found out they are 32 bit floating point.

How do I get em to play back on my 002?

Theres no PC in my room and so am unable to master from SF.  

TotalSonic

Re: 32 Bit Floating Point In LE
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 01:50:55 PM »

I don't use PT LE or Sound Forge but I believe you should be able to save the 32bit IEEE files as standard 24bit "packed" wav files in Sound Forge which should play on your 002 system without a problem.  Utility apps such as Awave from http://www.fmjsoft.com can also do simple conversions such as this.  

Probably opening myself up to some flames here - but personally I wouldn't use PT LE as a mastering processor as the results from its internal sound processing signal path doesn't sound as good as other DAW apps such as PT HD, Samplitude, SAWStudio) to me.   ommv

Best regards,
Steve Berson

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 03:07:41 PM »

Thanks Steve, "Like A Glove!"(say using Ace Ventura voice)

I used the Bit Depth Converter in the PROCESS menu. It didnt have a "packed" command like you suggested so I just converted to 24 bit and saved without dither or noise shaping. Should I have? Plays back fine on LE-002. Now I can get back to work. I only use PT as a playback machine, mastering in analog on the way to SS 5.3.2 USP. Did you know The Mastering Lab still only uses Sonic SSP? They claim it sounds better than USP, but I disagree. sincerly bab.

mdbeh

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 08:38:12 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Mon, 06 June 2005 12:50

Probably opening myself up to some flames here - but personally I wouldn't use PT LE as a mastering processor as the results from its internal sound processing signal path doesn't sound as good as other DAW apps such as PT HD, Samplitude, SAWStudio) to me.   ommv

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Steve,

A while back, we talked about trying to test this in a more or less controlled way.  Let me know if you're still interested.

--Brian
Brian Harper
Chicago, IL

TotalSonic

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 01:20:42 PM »

mdbeh wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 01:38

TotalSonic wrote on Mon, 06 June 2005 12:50

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Steve,

A while back, we talked about trying to test this in a more or less controlled way.  Let me know if you're still interested.

--Brian

Brian -
Definitely would be interested in doing this as I now have some new 24bit/88.2kHz files of my string quartet tracked w/ excellent mics and pres in a nice room which should be very revealing towards artifacts.  

Let me know what processors you want to use for this test.  I can host files on my web site.  I'd suggest using FLAC to try and keep the file size manageable.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Ruairi O'Flaherty

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 04:31:56 PM »

Hey guys,

I've got a HD rig here if you need a volunteer for any tests, always curious as to the limitations or advantages of  a given platform.  I'm sure you have some more locally available but if not let me know

cheers,
Ruairi

mdbeh

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 05:10:00 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 12:20

Brian -

Definitely would be interested in doing this as I now have some new 24bit/88.2kHz files of my string quartet tracked w/ excellent mics and pres in a nice room which should be very revealing towards artifacts.  

Let me know what processors you want to use for this test.  I can host files on my web site.  I'd suggest using FLAC to try and keep the file size manageable.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

That sounds good to me.  As for processing, how about something from the Waves Masters bundle--LinEQ, perhaps?  It's cross-platform (DX, VST, RTAS, TDM) and it's fairly hi-fi as far as plugins go.  I'd be open to other suggestions, but I can't think of many other good options off the top of my head.

And Ruari, I can't speak for Steve, but as far as I'm concerned, I'd very much welcome a volunteer for some HD-based testing.

Now we've got to figure a method that allows as close to apples-to-apples comparisons as possible...

Brian
Brian Harper
Chicago, IL

mdbeh

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 05:24:21 PM »

To start things off for the methodology:

Within PTLE, there are basically 3 ways I can think of creating a processed file:

(1) Audiosuite
(2) Real-time recording of an effected track through a bus to a new track
(3) Bounce-to-disk

How does that compare to SAWStudio or Samplitude?
Brian Harper
Chicago, IL
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 19 queries.