R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's say I wanted a generic sounding, modern pop drum sound...  (Read 8321 times)

pg666

Re: Let's say I wanted a generic sounding, modern pop drum sound...
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2005, 05:36:49 PM »

i think 'takeout' is pretty dead on, but i'll add 'lots of subtractive EQ' to that equation.

i think if you can't take that sound seriously in the first place, it's gonna be impossible to get those results. i'll drop by my friends' studio occasionally, and they go for that ryan greene/fat wreck chords drum sound most of the time, and hearing those things solo'd makes me laugh every time (and it doesn't sound too much better in context for that matter). i can't imagine actually trying to get a sound like that myself; it's like saying to yourself one day "i think i'm gonna go for that 'Pyromania' sound! yeah!"

Bivouac

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2005, 08:50:56 PM »

pg666 wrote on Mon, 06 June 2005 15:36

i think 'takeout' is pretty dead on, but i'll add 'lots of subtractive EQ' to that equation.

i think if you can't take that sound seriously in the first place, it's gonna be impossible to get those results. i'll drop by my friends' studio occasionally, and they go for that ryan greene/fat wreck chords drum sound most of the time, and hearing those things solo'd makes me laugh every time (and it doesn't sound too much better in context for that matter). i can't imagine actually trying to get a sound like that myself; it's like saying to yourself one day "i think i'm gonna go for that 'Pyromania' sound! yeah!"

I bet that sounded really funny, but I also think that sound is COMPLETELY necessary for a lot of music that came out on that label during the mid to late 90's.  The clicky kick drum just MADE all of those No Use, Lagwagon, Good Riddance, and NOFX records...

All of that stuff meant a lot to me back then, so I guess it just has some sentimental value...

Fibes

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2005, 10:34:50 PM »

Quote:

Yea. Forat is some cool old school shit.

That sounds like a nasty job, Fibes. You could also take the drum hits off the sync head, and use a delay before going into the trigger unit. You could then tweak the delay time to line the hits up right. If you didn't have a million DDLs lying around, then you had to bounce the samples back to tape anyway...

Yes it was...

It was easier to do it my fucked up way since the samples had to be retouched via punches from time to time since sometimes the triggering would drift from itself.

At least i was using real samples instead of the ones in the DM whatever.

I always wondered how he got those sounds, much like the original post, I learned by sitting backstage at the magician school.

I also vaguely remember riding an output on a compressor to get velocities right. Ah those were the days before laziness uh, i mean the natural aesthetic took hold of me.

apptrigga really works for me now given the way you can trigger at several more velocities than SR and use different samples for each tier. I wish i had some samples of just the snares for when i need a little more of them and no actual drum, the whole white noise thing is so 1981.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

spankenstein

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2005, 10:44:14 PM »

Bivouac wrote on Mon, 06 June 2005 19:50

I bet that sounded really funny, but I also think that sound is COMPLETELY necessary for a lot of music that came out on that label during the mid to late 90's.  The clicky kick drum just MADE all of those No Use, Lagwagon, Good Riddance, and NOFX records...

All of that stuff meant a lot to me back then, so I guess it just has some sentimental value...

I couldn't imagine that stuff sounding any different. Seeing any of those bands live never sounded too far off either.

takeout

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2005, 09:00:10 AM »

Bivouac wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 01:50

The kick has to sound like that on those records.  Those bands are all about the guitar sounds.  Everything else is a distant second.

Unless they had a piccolo snare; for some reason that gets turned up as loud as the guitars.

I will henceforth go on record: any drummer caught in possession of a piccolo snare should be shot on sight.

j.hall

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2005, 10:30:47 AM »

takeout wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 08:00

I will henceforth go on record: any drummer caught in possession of a piccolo snare should be shot on sight.

i second the motion!!!

Fibes

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2005, 11:58:01 AM »

j.hall wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 10:30

takeout wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 08:00

i second the motion!!!

Our drummer showed up at our cd release show with one and asked if i could help tune it up. I put down the guitar, picked the snare off the stand, walked across the room, dropped the piccolo into a trash can picked up the old snare and began tuning it.

Piccolos are second in hell to those little 10x5 jobbers that are so popular with the kids.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

takeout

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2005, 02:29:40 PM »

Well played, sir.  Well played.

NelsonL

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2005, 03:11:13 PM »

Why pick on the trash can? It sounds pretty good compared to the piccolo.

wwittman

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2005, 01:13:16 AM »

takeout wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 09:00

I don't believe in penalties for possession.

but actual USE is another story...
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

forgetmeknots

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2005, 10:28:45 PM »

Okay, i'm gonna put myself up on the stake here with this one....but why the hate for the piccolo??  My guess is the lack of depth to the sound, the ringy high end, but if you use a Remo Falam head on all your snares (like real drummers do: like i said I'm on the stake, so fire at will) you should be able to achieve some sort of decency, no??  Don't goldfinger use a piccolo??
Feed Your Head - Listen

j.hall

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2005, 09:45:57 AM »

why don't you just buy a marching snare drum from premier and be done with it.

at least that way you'll have a drum that can take the high torque of a falam head without ripping all the lugs off when keep wrenching down on that kevlar head.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 20 queries.