R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: business side of mastering companies  (Read 4039 times)

aivoryuk

business side of mastering companies
« on: June 03, 2005, 08:59:37 AM »

Hi guys

well i have finally decided to take my future into my own and have decided to create a 5 year plan and at the end of it the goal is to have set up my own mastering company/studio, (i thought if i'm going to be working for the next 40 yrs then i should be doing something i enjoy  Smile

my question is how did all of your studios evolve???

did you go the bank manager with a business plan and they loaned you the money?? how much did it cost just to start out??
or was it just working up the ranks in a already existing studio??
for those that struck out on there own how did you go about it??

I hope some of you may be able to give me some advice

Alex

Jerry Tubb

Re: business side of mastering companies
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 11:59:24 AM »

aivoryuk wrote on Fri, 03 June 2005 07:59

did you go the bank manager with a business plan and they loaned you the money??

Man, that's a loaded question !

I should make some smart ass joke here but I won't !  Rolling Eyes

...something about how going into business is like grabbing your privates and jumping out a ten story window... but like I said, I won't.

If you actually go to a bank, you better have some big assets for collateral, or you'll be disappointed in their answer.

If they like you, get as much cash as they'll give you, and buy the very best gear, with a long shelf life, not trendy stuff.

The RUB is this: if you do get a loan, it'll take long time to pay back those large payments, while you slowly build up your business. Make sure you've got the guts and the talent (ears) for the long haul.

Some guys do it with credit cards, that can be a treacherous path !

Good Luck  Cool
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Level

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 12:35:01 PM »

JT is right. Start small; buying equipment and build your chops and client base. After you have a good track record and supportable client base (you are making income) then a financial institution or an underwriter will have something to base "their" investment on. First order of business (after you get beyond the above) is to be totally debt free. Work until you are debt free and then your income will be substantial enough to look at a form of financial assistance. You may end up not needing it. My past underwriters got a decent return (they were happy anyway) on their investments and helped me stay debt free after I got them paid off.

Some people can just sign for 100K and go to work. Without the initial experience of digging in the dirt, they usually lose intrest and sell out. I have seen this happen to many start-ups. It is like throwing money down a well.

I am on my 30th year..and I am 1 year away from going out of business, if I have nothing come in. It is not easy. All this work and I have a one year cushion. That is not much.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

Chris Cavell

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 12:51:48 PM »

Make it a 3 year plan instead of five.  Go for a small loan and pay it off much sooner than proposed.  Then and only then can you go for a bigger one.  Banks today are very wary of shelling out dough for startups unless the propositioner has a history of successful startups.  So, start small but successful.

Your plan should make a point of stating how the profit is going to be invested back into the company in the form of upgrades and improvements to services.  Making a point to show that certain types of major upgrades/investments (hardware, rooms, staff) are preferable to others (software) based on long term value and stability are important.

aivoryuk

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 01:28:17 PM »

hi guys thanks for the advice and please keep it coming

I am starting very small at the moment, im currently doing some projects for free of charge at the mo, this is to gain both experience and to gain word of mouth. so far i have some good reviews and other people are coming slowly but surely.

its going to take time and im in it for the long haul.

I actually currently work in the banking industry and underwrite applications, so im quite aware of the trappings and how easy it is to rack up the debt.

EP

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 02:15:51 PM »

For my 2 cents:

I am in the young stage of business myself, and one of the hardest things is to do your best with less equipment and experience than you wish you had. If you love music, have sensitive ears, and pay attention you KNOW at the end of each job that you now could do it over and better! This is great because it means you are learning more and more, but hard for the perfectionist in us. No quick way to the top.

Listen. Read. Ask. Look at what gear is being used and don't get into trying to have it all. DIY or 'homebuilt' gear used to be the common in mastering. If you are the handy type, start looking into DIY designs out there, or start meeting people that are. Pick a few good pieces. (on that note I think analog gear is the better investment, but I made a leap and bought the Algorithmix eq bundle because they are so damn good....it was scary to drop that much coin on software, and I still wonder.....)

From what I can tell profits are pretty scarce in this biz, unless you manage to get to the top rung, so to speak. So have fun and don't over-extend.

All the best,

Level

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 02:23:14 PM »

Doing free projects to gain experience IMHO is not the way to get established. Of course, I do one charity case per year.

I will do snips for an example for a prospect.

What happens is you are "devaluing mastering" (no matter the experience) to something that becomes some sort of a joke.

I have had really good bands with decent finished product that needs the touch of an experienced mastering engineer simply say, we can get so and so to do it for free down the road. How do you think that comes off toward the craft?

Do not work for free. Your time is worth something is it not?

You will find it damned hard to charge 10% of my rates if you are established as the "cat that does free mastering".

Charge a fair price, if they don't want to pay, they don't need you.

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

aivoryuk

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 03:31:31 PM »

yes level but i bet when you started out 30 yrs ago there were not half the companies out there that offer mastering services.

As technology has advanced as well the internet every man and their dog now offer mastering facilites regardless of their experience in actually doing mastering.

so how does one seperate them selves from the others when they haven't got credits and such to their name???

if i was to charge 120 dollars an hour and it turned out that what i was doing was geting bad reviews then IMO that would be more damaging

so what would be a fair price for someone to charge??

Level

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 03:45:15 PM »

Charge what you can get...but certainly not free. 150.00 a day is not bad to start..of course, minus taxes and social security, health insurance, utilities, phone bill, auto insurance. that don't leave much.

On AMG, I don't have many credits but I have a huge resume and it is building daily. Most of my work started out in QC, preparing records for manufacture. the promos were mastered and I got a "revisit contract" with some major labels.

Work is just that, work. you give it away, your skills are not worth much.

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

aivoryuk

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 04:08:30 PM »

Level wrote on Fri, 03 June 2005 20:45

On AMG, I don't have many credits but I have a huge resume and it is building daily.

yeah sorry did mean to say credits, i don't want to get the whole AMG debate going again Smile

I've only done 3 masters which i've done for free and this was purely just to test the water to see if what i was doing was okay.
every trade has 'cowboys' where their answer is just to stick it through a finalizer at warp 12 and thats the master and charge 120 dollars an hour or whatver for it.
i just didn't want to be seen as one of those guys because i do value the art of mastering and making music sound better.  Very Happy

i hope this doesn't turn into a heated debate

Level

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2005, 04:29:27 PM »

It won't be a debate on my account but I like to see people getting started out, getting some rewards for "pleased clients". I understand your position. I really do.

I simply feel that if you do something meaningful for someone and you use your investment (equipment, time, home, electricity) then you should be compensated. My Charity case work is a direct tax deduction. (i/e, compensation)

Thats all from me on this.

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

bblackwood

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2005, 06:20:55 PM »

I think you're best bet is to try to find a studio or label (or your best bet - both) to work for. Nothing beats the experience you will gain or the exposure you will get to records you may not otherwise get the chance to work on early on. Almost without exception, the mastering engineers that are successful have come from one or both of the above...

I also say don't borrow any money - work for others and buy what you can as you are able. It may take longer to do so, but your business will be much more financially stable without the debt load. Sure, you may have to borrow a small amount to get started, but be conservative and you will surely appreciate it later.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2005, 06:32:46 PM »

aivoryuk wrote on Fri, 03 June 2005 15:08

I've only done 3 masters which i've done for free and this was purely just to test the water to see if what i was doing was okay.

Bill is right, now that you've tested the waters, STOP doing the free stuff now.

I know it's fun to be popular by giving your work away ...but people usually get a deep first impression of you, and if they think you do work for free or "on the cheap" ...even if you're doing quality work ...it can take years to get the respect you deserve.

Cool
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Ronny

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2005, 09:10:42 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Fri, 03 June 2005 18:20

I think you're best bet is to try to find a studio or label (or your best bet - both) to work for. Nothing beats the experience you will gain or the exposure you will get to records you may not otherwise get the chance to work on early on. Almost without exception, the mastering engineers that are successful have come from one or both of the above...

I also say don't borrow any money - work for others and buy what you can as you are able. It may take longer to do so, but your business will be much more financially stable without the debt load. Sure, you may have to borrow a small amount to get started, but be conservative and you will surely appreciate it later.

Yep, that's good advice and with an added benefit. If you take the intern road, you won't risk getting a loan and buying a bunch of gear that collects dust because your client base takes longer to build than the bill collectors take to knock on your door.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------