R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cutterhead amps?  (Read 26813 times)

Gold

Re: Cutterhead amps?
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 08:37:59 PM »

I asked the guru. He couldn't think of any way the circuit breaker influences the stylus motion other than killing the signal when tripped. I could get a copy of the SAB74 schematic if you want to take a look at it. I took another look at the SI66 breaker schematic and there is no servo/feedback path.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

mcsnare

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2010, 09:44:15 AM »

Bruno, maybe you could design a post cutter head feedback servo that would reduce cutter head distortion. Probably require a re-design of the cutter itself. Some kind of strain gauge accelerometer? Then again those shiny black discs might not sound as cool.

Dave

bruno putzeys

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2010, 10:08:47 AM »

You mean more "post" than the sense coils? I could quite easily design a servo with a lot more loop gain than the usual ones, but beyond that I think that the difference in shape between the playback and cutting styli will become the more fundamental problem.

Actually I tried starting such a project but I was held up by other stuff. By the time I was ready to characterise and model the loaner cutting head the owner needed it back (on account of having fried another one). I should pick it up again.
Warp Drive. Tractor Beam. Room Correction. Whatever.

Affiliations: Hypex, Grimm Audio.

Gold

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2010, 11:43:34 AM »

Yes, the problems are all on the playback side. If Bruno could design a playback stylus with a 1 micron tip radius that wouldn't break, most of the distortion would disappear.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

bruno putzeys

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2010, 12:53:55 PM »

I think breaking would be problem #2. A tougher issue would seem to me wearing out the record too quickly with all tracking force concentrated on such a small area. It's a pity the idea of predistorting the cut to correct for playback distortion never got universally adopted.
Warp Drive. Tractor Beam. Room Correction. Whatever.

Affiliations: Hypex, Grimm Audio.

Geoff Emerick de Fake

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2010, 06:19:05 AM »

Bruno Putzeys wrote on Tue, 12 January 2010 11:53

It's a pity the idea of predistorting the cut to correct for playback distortion never got universally adopted.
I think the reason was that it never worked practically. Same with predistorting the record signal on some tape machines; on the 3M machines, it was always turned off. It needed the machine to be super-aligned and would need re-adjusting from one reel to another (some times from the beginning to the end of the reel).

dietrich

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2010, 03:29:55 PM »

Anyone familiar with the Sax Mastering lab tube cutting amps? did the use on a neumann or scully?
D

TotalSonic

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2010, 04:25:06 PM »

dietrich wrote on Fri, 05 February 2010 15:29

Anyone familiar with the Sax Mastering lab tube cutting amps? did the use on a neumann or scully?
D

Dietrich -
Doing a Google search seemed they had two Scully's and a Neumann.  I haven't been able to find much more details than that yet.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

dcollins

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2010, 06:39:47 PM »

dietrich wrote on Fri, 05 February 2010 12:29

D

It was Scully with Neumann cutterheads.  Driven by custom tube amps designed by Sherwood "Bert" Sax.

DC

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2010, 07:06:08 AM »

dcollins wrote on Fri, 05 February 2010 17:39

dietrich wrote on Fri, 05 February 2010 12:29

D

It was Scully with Neumann cutterheads.  Driven by custom tube amps designed by Sherwood "Bert" Sax.

DC

Anyone ever copied Doug Sax's fabulous sounding tube mastering path?

or is it a well guarded secret? (perhaps the Pendulum gear?)

curious - JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 19 queries.