R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Final CD Ampltiude and Dither  (Read 3245 times)

domc

Final CD Ampltiude and Dither
« on: February 03, 2010, 02:14:06 AM »

this might be a complete noob question but... doing a master in samplitude.  Limiter set to -0.3db

Burn cd direct from samplitude tells me that the overall level is >0.  I take it that this is due to the SRC/dither.  How do I calculate the actual overall level of the cd after dither and SRC when I am burning straight from a 96k session.  I don't want digital overs or for the cd to distort.
Domc

Mastering Engineer
Dominic McGlinn B.Mus.T. (Hons)

Margate, QLD
+61421961641

www.domc.com.au
dom@domc.com.au

urm eric

Re: Final CD Ampltiude and Dither
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 08:09:20 AM »

I'm not aware of any method of calculation so I suppose you could separate the processes to see what the SRC is doing and then dither/burn from the 44.1 file?

All the best,

Eric
Philosophers Barn Mastering
www.phibarnmastering.co.uk

ggidluck

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 10:01:05 AM »

In Samplitude if you bounce to a file it will tell you the maximum amplitude. I usually render a file a number of times with eq and other processing (and with dither enabled.) What you get reported as the max amplitude with that vs what you get on the burned CD should be the same. So there is no need to burn a CD to determine that.

Also I find it useful to use the Sonoris meter (VST plugin) on the mix buss which can detect intersample peaks while previewing the audio.
Gordon Gidluck
http://live2496.com

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 08:26:06 AM »

I'm not sure that any dithering that causes the peak meter to touch 0dBFS is such a big deal.

I still see masters from the top dogs that sit on "0" pretty regularly.

As others have stated perhaps too much attention is focused on the inter-sample peaks obsession.

But then I'm practical minded about these things.

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

ggidluck

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 11:06:32 AM »

You might try to SRC from 96kHz to 44.1kHz in R8Brain. Then reimport the file into Samp, set track markers and burn.
Gordon Gidluck

OTR-jkl

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 12:38:57 PM »

ggidluck wrote on Thu, 04 February 2010 10:06

You might try to SRC from 96kHz to 44.1kHz in R8Brain. Then reimport the file into Samp, set track markers and burn.

Exactly what I would do. Incidentally, Min phase mode will give you more ISPs than Linear phase mode. Personally, I don't like ISP overs either and I try my best to minimize them but I wouldn't worry too much about a few here and there, especially if they're only a sample or 2 long. You're probably not even gonna hear 'em anyway...
J Lowes ยท OTR Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life
www.ShoutLife.com/OTRMastering

Geoff Emerick de Fake

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 10:11:24 PM »

domc wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 01:14

this might be a complete noob question but... doing a master in samplitude.  Limiter set to -0.3db

Burn cd direct from samplitude tells me that the overall level is >0.  I take it that this is due to the SRC/dither.  How do I calculate the actual overall level of the cd after dither and SRC when I am burning straight from a 96k session.  I don't want digital overs or for the cd to distort.
It is not the SRC nor dither.
This is a peculiarity of Samplitude. As long as you are in the 32-bit float domain, you have the possibility to apply effects and increase volume in a way that will produce levels higher than 0dB. You must find a way to reduce the amplitude to a iota below 0dB before burning a CD.
I process ALL my mixes with Samp's multiband; I generally end up with a file that has peaks at +3 or +4. Depending on the result I expect, I then either normalize to -0.2dBfs, or limit at -0.2dBfs with the brickwall limiter in Advanced compressor (I don't use the compressor, which I never managed to make sound right, just the instantaneous lim.
I do that at the Object level, but you can also do it in the mixer.

ggidluck

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 10:07:24 AM »

domc wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 01:14

How do I calculate the actual overall level of the cd ...

If this is happening when you are bouncing the file...
Make note of the amount you are over and above 0.0. If it shows you 0.5 over 0 dbfs, then set the level of the output buss sliders to a lower level of -0.5 instead of 0.0. You can double-click on the digits displayed and enter a precise value there. (You might drop it a bit more to avoid hitting the limiter).
Gordon Gidluck

Geoff Emerick de Fake

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 02:04:48 PM »

Much easier : select object, click Offline effects, Normalize to whatever level you're comfortable with.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 22 queries.