R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OK, I'm in the computer--Now how do I get out?  (Read 2590 times)

Bill Cuomo

OK, I'm in the computer--Now how do I get out?
« on: June 02, 2005, 09:49:46 AM »

Hi all. Since this is my first post, I'm kind of embarrassed to admit my dilemma in light of all the great minds lurking here. Hopefully someone will get me pointed in the right direction! OK, I record with a RADAR II and analog console (Trident 80B) and mix to 1/2" and then to MASTERLINK 24/88 or 24/96. Love RADAR, tape and the depth etc., and wouldn't change a thing, other than the converters on the Alesis. I now have clients wanting total recall/plug in availability, so after tracking, I transfer to a recently acquired Mac G5 dual via a Hammerfall HDSP 9652/UFC 24 and run DP 4.52 with UAD and Metric Halo plug-ins. So far, so good. Question is--Once in the Mac, what do I do? Should I stay in the digital arena and not come back to the console?? ( I've come back to the console with my old 828 but I don't think I should base my decision using MOTU's D/A's.) This decision will influence what I buy. Since my older RADAR II has not been cooperative regarding its D/A's from the Mac (another chapter of clock issues entirely!)  I'm leaning towards a good to great pair of stereo converters to use from the Mac to tape and from tape to Masterlink, thereby killing "two birds with one purchase". I've read the many comments regarding summing??!! I've considered the RME Fireface 800 and the Metric Halo Mobile I/O, but I'm still summing to 8 faders, and I think the Apogee Rosetta 200 would be of the sonic caliber I prefer. Any thoughts/suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance, Bill

John Ivan

Re: OK, I'm in the computer--Now how do I get out?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 12:27:32 PM »

Well, this is just me but, I would buy the very best set of 24 channels DA I could and use the mixer. Can't you you some how use the RADAR? Look further into that option also.

This is just based on my experience being unhappy with ITB mixes I've done. You might very well have a better shot at it then I did. I admit that I never liked the idea. But then , I never liked the sound of digital from the very first second I heard it.  This has  bent my judgment and keeps me from looking more closely at the advancements that have been made.. It is better than it used to be but I still can't abuse audio properly in the box. Audio amps inside even mid level consoles sound cool to me...

MIX ON A MIXER.. My two cents.
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Bill Cuomo

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 05:59:35 PM »

Thanks Ivan.....I'm with you on the "digi thing" and sometimes wonder why I work so hard at getting records that actually breathe. Many listeners today actually prefer crunchy, non-dynamic distorted mixes since that's what they're used to. Regarding the RADAR, I think it's not doable at this point even though I'd like to hear it. I've spoken with Otari and even they are perplexed at why I cannot access TDIF on the "Digital I/O" menu since I have the card-it's just not there. My friends and I have tried every clock combo and nada. So, for the moment I'm going to try the Mac out through a pair of RME D/A converters to tape, and then through the RME A/D to the Masterlink. I'll also try direct to Masterlink via the RME. If I'm unhappy at that point, I'll try the Apogee Rosetta 200. Of course, if total recall is not an issue and I don't like anything I hear, then I can do it "the old fashioned way" like I have been for the past 3 years; Radar 24 through the console with the Mac sideboard as a "Digital Processor" running in sync on extra faders direct to 1/2". Oh, the possibilities will drive one mad!!

N.J.

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 10:43:43 AM »

Hi Bill,
Give me a call 800-776-1356, and we can look into why your TDIF isn't working.

N.J.

nj@izcorp.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 16 queries.