R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Source Reverb  (Read 2193 times)

alpha

Source Reverb
« on: May 31, 2005, 06:41:06 AM »

Can someone, please, explain the point of getting sorce reverbs?

wireline

Re: Source Reverb
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 07:33:30 AM »

Source reverbs?  Do you mean recorded ambience?

If so, then distance micing is one way...properly phased but separated micing is another way...Recording in GREAT rooms is yet another way...

If this is not what you meant, then I have no idea, other than to artifically add reverb to the inbound signals...but remember once its there, its THERE to stay.
Ken Morgan
Wireline Studio, Midland, TX
Authorized Sales Agent, WWW.Soundpure.Com

alpha

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 12:12:12 PM »

Thanks for replay, but I think source reverb like VSS3 or VSS4 algorithm in TC Electronic Reverb6000.
I have to mix in studio which is equipped with this reverb and don't know which is the best way to use those algos. There is source reverb algos (VSS3 and VSS4) and generic reverb algos (rev-2, rev-3, nonlin etc.).

compasspnt

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 02:27:30 PM »

Try them all.  Learn what they all do.  Then use the one(s) you like best in each application.

alpha

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 05:32:41 AM »

Thanks compasspnt, simple and correct. But, your answer you can, without problem, copy/paste to nearly all tread on this forum.

compasspnt

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 05:56:59 AM »

Exactly!

Peter Simonsen

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 10:24:12 AM »

Quote:

Thanks compasspnt, simple and correct. But, your answer you can, without problem, copy/paste to nearly all tread on this forum.

alpha,

That is true, but never the less..how could the answer be much different..none of us will know what music/style youd be working on..nor do we know your taste, or have your ears..what you are trying to do/create ???..Use the M6000 reverbs..choose whatever you like based on what you like/hear...how could one be expected to do otherwice..???

Sorry if I sound too goofy, but its not that complicated..different room/sounds/types etc..!!!

btw..the reverb M6000 system has a "search" function..where you can search the lib for type of reverb/efxs you are looking for... Makes it a hole lot easier to find allocated presets for Vocals, guitars, Overheads...etc.

To quote TC

Quote:

Generic reverb is primarily a flattering sustain effect which can be added to many sources of a mix, or a complete stereo or multi-channel stem. It adds little character but also does no harm, because the effect is blurred or washed out.

If early reflections are offered, there are only few of them and they play a rudimentary role. Therefore, a strong localization is not imposed on the signal, which is what you want when one reverb is used on many sources.
For a graphical artist, the equivalent tool to Generic reverb would be a paintbrush.

Generic Reverb Pros

1st choice for composite, mixed material and stems
1st choice when used with multichannel joystick on console or DAW
1st choice for adding to classical main microphone pick-up
Works well on moving sources
Prettier than life
Quick and easy to use

Generic Reverb Cons

Blurring takes away character from individual sources
Pitch modulation may be a problem with some material
Mono compatibility often compromised to obtain extra width
Imaging inferior to Source based reverb

Quote:

Source Reverbs...When elements of a mix are picked up individually, a chance exists to define exactly how each of them is to be heard. There is no reason to apply one Generic reverb to several single sources, unless they are supposed to present an identical position to the final listener, or if you have run out of aux sends.

When it is desirable to distinguish between single elements sharing more or less the same panning position, source based reverb should be a first choice. Subtle discrimination between reflection patterns of individual sources can make all the difference in the world when it comes to obtaining depth, expression and natural imaging.

Source Reverbs are able to generate multiple, complex early reflection patterns. If a microphone already has picked up some reflections, the reflections should be excluded from the simulated pattern by using the appropriate reflection decrease control in order to get the best result. Instruments or sources can alternatively share the same reverb input in groups, e.g. stage left, center and right, for a more complex and desirable result than a Generic, one-send reverb approach. For a graphical artist, the equivalent tool to Source reverb would be a 3D rendering system or Virtual Studio.

Source Reverb Pros

1st choice when input sources can be separated
1st choice with spot microphones
More depth and distinction obtainable in a mix
Adds character and definition to a source
For any format, but especially 5.1 and 6.1, localization and the size of the listening area may be improved compared to Generic Reverb types

Source Reverb Cons

Require more sends or direct feeds than Generic Reverb types
No advantage on composite signals
Not ideal for moving sources

Best of luck

Kind regards

Peter
http://www.psl-design.dk

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.>>Søren kirkegaard>
>>Its not a dream Peter is real<<

alpha

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 01:39:51 PM »

Thanks Peter,
This is nearly all I want to know about these algos. My question, in first, was directed to a little in depth information about source reverb concept, not particular situation where, of course, I will use some which I like the most. English is not my first language and therefore my sentences have to stay simple. Because of that, some misunderstandings are possible. Sorry for little sarcasm in my last post, but the purpose of this forum is to people help each other. Nobody know all.    
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.