R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Hear Back" Monitoring System  (Read 2494 times)

James Duncan

"Hear Back" Monitoring System
« on: May 27, 2005, 06:30:45 AM »

Does anyone around here use the "Hear Back" monitoring system by Hear Technologies? http://www.heartechnologies.com/hb/hearbackintro.htm

I am looking to change the way I set up my cue mixes, and give the talent the control over their own mixes so I don't have to mess with it. These things obviously compete with the Aviom systems http://www.aviom.com/, but a cheaper price point, and with 8 subgroups rather than 16. I have also considered one of the Furman systems, but they are only 4-channel, and that is just a bit limiting for my needs.

How do these guys sound?
Reliability?
Has the talent been pleased with the results?

Thanks!
James Duncan

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
Napoleon Bonaparte

hargerst

Re: "Hear Back" Monitoring System
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 09:21:41 AM »

The Furman will do five channels actually.  We also use the Oz system which is great, but there's only one controller for 6 headphones.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Fig

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 12:16:16 PM »

Howdy,

Compare them closely based on how you see yourself implemeting such a system into your facility.

The Hearback uses stereo groups and only a few individual channels.  Aviom gives you the ability to group what you want and leave the rest as mono (read: pannable if desired) sources.

A-Net from Aviom runs over CAT5e/6 cables.  The Hearback protocol is on ADAT lightpipe, it can convert to a RJ45 with accessories.

I personally find each of their remote mixers to be flimsy and breakable.  Aviom's rack stuff is top notch, though.  The "I" and "O" boxes making 16 channel snakes is damn cool in my book.

The Furman's I see a lot, with people complaining about the cables breaking -- too bad for a remote mixer that blows away the previous mentioned devices on ruggedness alone.

OZ has made some neat stuff, for certain.  Not remotely controllable, though. I keep hoping for M-LAN or some protocol to come along that will allow us to use all kinds of remote mixers from many manufacturers, but, we continue to wait.

For top shelf remote headphone mixing, I think Private-Q from Mytek ( http://www.mytekdigital.com/pqm.pdf ) takes the cake.

I would be interested in knowing what system you choose, why and how it works out for you when you have decided.

Osci-later,

Fig
The easiest thing to do is the thing most easily forgotten.

James Duncan

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 03:42:42 PM »

Thanks Fig...

But I have done some "studying" of the Hear Back system over the last day or so, and I think you have a couple of misconceptions with the current implentaion of the product. I am not sure if there was an older version or not, but the current one is am bit different than your description.

First, there are 6 mono channels and one stereo channel on the system for a total of 8 channels. I am thinking:

1) Studio L
2) Studio R
3) Drum mix
4) Bass
5) Guitar mix
6) Vocal mix
7) talk back
8 ) click track

Whent there are other instruments, such as keys, for example, I will need to modify that list a bit...

Secondly, it does not use ADAT cable to connect the units, it uses Cat5e cable, in a similar way to the Aviom units. The hub will accept ADAT input as well as analog (and a proprietary digital format for daisy-chaining).

We use an Aviom unit in our live rig, but I did not have to pay for that one! I just supply my earbuds, and I am good to go!

For my own studio however, I am thinking that I would like to save a bit of money over the Aviom systems, and yet not be as restricted as on the Furmans.

I will take a closer look at the Mytek units...although I am sure they are pricy as well.

Thanks!
James Duncan

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
Napoleon Bonaparte

bounce

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 04:32:30 PM »

hiya. i set my talkback to also go to the L/R studio outputs which frees up another mono channel for something else (jawharp?).

mckay
McKay Garner
Bounce Inventive Audio
Los Angeles
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 19 queries.