R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A new step in life.  (Read 1135 times)

BrettB

A new step in life.
« on: May 22, 2005, 07:50:51 AM »

Hi all,

I'll try to stay brief, but here's my question:

I'm working as a researcher for a television company since a few months, but the busy schedule of my work prevents of doing much recording work. It really starts to feel very awkward: I took a five year producing course, recording and music is my life so I can't suppress the urge to want to dedicate my life to music and recording. I'm starting to feel frustrated and unhappy, and I don't think at this point my life is going the way I want it to be.

I know finding a job in the business is difficult on every part of the planet, but at this stage I'm really thinking of going a few months abroad to discover the recording world outside of tiny Belgium. I don't expect any miracles of it, but it will open my world a little bit, boost up my moral and give me more experience.

I want to meet new people, show my energy and skills and feel how the business feels on the other end of the world. Also, I'm 23 now. If I want to take a risk by leaving a few months, I have to do it now, while I still have got no kids. So I'm looking at London, the big cities in the US, or even in Canda or Australia. I can and will send emails to all the interesting recording studios, but I don't expect much of that, because they will probably get tons of mails like that.

Do any of you have some suggestions for me? Do you know a good recording studio in your area that would welcome me with a small job or internship for a few months? What places/cities do I have to go to to meet people with lots of musc/recording activity and with the same passion as me? And if you have some suggestions: any idea where I can sleep cheap.

Any help would be appreciated. If you want to contact me personally with any questions, feel free to email brettmorello@gmail.com

Thanks guys!

danickstr

Re: A new step in life.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 04:09:27 PM »

well there are as many stories about leaving town as there are anonymous cowards that just stay put.  my brief saga:  I left a small midwest town for LA with a shitty car and a grand.  after going through vegas i had 300 bucks.  got to LA and got a weekly apt and started work as a temp, unwrapping pennies from the paper rolls.  this paid the bills until i got a messenger job so i could spend more time in my shitty car.  i did my own repairs. it took me many years to get any recording done, although all my extra pay want to such classics as the fostex X-15. 12 years later i owned a studio that was not bad.

I recommend it.  It will build character and although the culture shock can give you some depressing nights alone in your shitty apt, it is worth it if ya stick it out.  or even if ya don't.  its a life changing experience whether you "succeed" or not.  success is defined from within.  I am a success if I think I am, because I am the ultimate critic of my life. Well that's one man's opinion.
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.