R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite Mastering Engineer?  (Read 32448 times)

Bob Olhsson

Re: Favorite Mastering Engineer?
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2005, 11:26:11 AM »

PP

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2005, 04:14:17 PM »

Thanks Bob!

Here’s one from Le Caf

compasspnt

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2005, 09:40:33 PM »

Poyser wrote on Mon, 23 May 2005 03:30

Terry had...a definitive Red Book of Mastering Engineers Musical Abilities.

He called the useful tome….. MEMA…..

No wonder everyone thinks he’s brilliant…. I can see it all now……...

But the Secret of His Success…..

Is Finally Revealed……

Ah, the truth comes out at last.  Yes, I will finally now admit to having created the aforementioned "Red Book."  Included in it (and these were all my inovations, by the way, for which I will finally claim credit, and demand royalties) were:

*PQ codes (the "Playing Quality" of the ME, written in shorthand).
*Offset (the distance the "drink" should be placed from the lathe, so as not to spill upon it while he played).
*A to D Conversion (see thread re: Wendy Carlos).
*Spiral (the day Bob L. actually Gyrated).
*Inner groove (the feeling that only an accomplished musician/ME can feel inside when the overdub is complete).
*Sampling rate (how fast the ME could imbibe before giving away his innermost musical secrets to intensive questioning).
*Neumann (what the ME would feel like having finally fulfilled his actual childhood dream of actually BEING ON a record [speaking Deutsch helps with this one]).

PP

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2005, 02:52:42 AM »

Len

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2005, 01:25:01 PM »

To get back on topic, Jay F mentioned Greg Calbi - sorry, but I cannot forgive him for murdering Howie Weinberg's perfect mastering of Jeff Buckley's Grace when he remastered for the "Legacy Edition".  Loads of clipping, boosted highs to death and complete loss of dynamics.  Grrrrr - to do that to one of my favourite albums - unforgiveable!!!

bblackwood

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2005, 01:31:20 PM »

Yah, Calbi also went on record last year actually recommending everyone send him stems to work from. Was beat to death on here but that one still freaks me out...

To be honest, Dave Collins is one of my all time favs too. He is to modest to toot his own horn (no, seriously. well, at least about this), but when you look at how many awesome records he mastered that just sound great, it's hard to ignore his work.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

jfrigo

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2005, 12:19:43 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 24 May 2005 10:31

Yah, Calbi also went on record last year actually recommending everyone send him stems to work from. Was beat to death on here but that one still freaks me out...

To be honest, Dave Collins is one of my all time favs too. He is to modest to toot his own horn (no, seriously. well, at least about this), but when you look at how many awesome records he mastered that just sound great, it's hard to ignore his work.

Agreed. I've always liked Dave's work. As for Calbi, the stems thing is crazy. Don't know what he was thinking, and I didn't hear the other murder job mentioned above. What I do like about him is that he may be the only one of the top tier guys at that place that doesn't default to stun.

Apart from that, I agree with the well-deserved if unoriginal praise of the king, Bob, the man from Portland. He's certainly had his share of less than stellar albums as anybody with a catalog half that big must, but the history, the knowledge, the great attitude, and love of the work... we should all get a little statue of him and rub his belly like the Buddah before every session!

jfrigo

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2005, 12:34:33 AM »

I was just thinking, a lot of these guys I haven't really paid much attention to their work in the past few years. I haven't been looking at every album I see for mastering credits, and I haven't been buying too much mainstream stuff anyway. It seems that you turn you back for a minute and another stable of the industry falls from glory. I was bummed when Ted Jensen started doing slammed work as he did some really good in years past. If we've lost Calbi to this now, what a bummer. It seems I may have read something about clipping from him, but I was hoping he meant it was happening these days, but not to automatically do it. That's what I'd expect from a guy with a letter from John Lennon on the wall that pretty much says, "do whatever you want; I trust you." What's next? Grundmann clipping an ecclectic folk record? Doug Sax slapping an L2 across some chanting monks? Guess I should prepare myself for the inevitable.

PP

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2005, 04:45:42 AM »

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2005, 07:36:29 AM »

Poyser wrote on Wed, 25 May 2005 03:45

... We even have some in this country, remarkable though that might seem...
One I'll never forget was the lady at EMI Studios in London when I visited around 1969. She was cutting a classical LP and quipped about being able to win a prize if she could make all the lamps light up on her limiter.

dcollins

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2005, 12:46:01 PM »

Poyser wrote on Wed, 25 May 2005 01:45

It’s not because his car has one of those insipid, girly sounding horns, is it?

Heavens no!  I drive a proper British car and the hooter is quite manly!

DC

Level

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2005, 02:18:23 PM »

As long as it not a Jag (Ford now) MG (Morris) or DAF!

So you drive a Rolls or a Bent. DC?

I actually liked the DAF I had imported here in the early 80's. Belt drive and plenty of looks tootling down the I-state at 80 per (its top range)

http://www.ritzsite.demon.nl/DAF/Cars/DAF33_transmission.jpg
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

turtletone

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2005, 07:19:01 PM »

I think Greg Calbi is feeling the pressure of current trends. I've had several long talks with him about a bunch of stuff and he admitted to feeling the pressure of making louder records. He didn't know how the others in the shop were making them so loud, he just knew they were and i think he was loosing business because of it. I think he see's stems as a way of staying competitive in the loud game. He is still really an old school guy and thinks that way.
Michael Fossenkemper
TurtleTone Studio
info@turtletonestudio.com
www.turtletonestudio.com

Arf! Mastering

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2005, 08:45:39 PM »

I'm sure he knows how they're doing it but it goes against his grain to do so.  This is a truly depressing report.  It seemed lately that clients were beginning to appreciate the musical merits of not steam-rolling their music, but Sterling has high rent and overhead and caters to major labels who are packaging pringles instead of music, so for them it's sink or slam.
“A working class hero is something to be,
Keep you doped with religion and sex and T.V.”
John Lennon

"Large signals can actually be counterproductive.  If I scream at you over the phone, you don’t hear me better. If I shine a bright light in your eyes, you don’t see better.”
Dr. C.T. Rubin, biomechanical engineer

dcollins

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2005, 10:44:21 PM »

Level wrote on Wed, 25 May 2005 11:18

So you drive a Rolls or a Bent. DC?

Actually several McLaren F1's.  Transported in my customised Boeing 777.

On a whim, I might decide to run the Mille Miglia. When they hear I'm coming they clear the streets.

With my contacts, the N
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.