R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite Mastering Engineer?  (Read 32374 times)

Level

Re: Favorite Mastering Engineer?
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2005, 02:33:11 AM »

yes JT, if they are in the pocket, you trim the edit head and tail and go proudly to the bank!
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

PP

« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2005, 01:17:44 PM »

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2005, 02:20:12 PM »

It's interesting how life continually presents us with paradoxes and odd juxtapositions... makes one wonder if there's a way to connect the dots...

Peace  Cool
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

masterhse

« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2005, 05:25:22 PM »

Poyser wrote on Sun, 29 May 2005 13:17

Q: “Boy, has this thread gone off the rails ...”

Well Tom, I genuinely hope you are not offended, as nothing of such a nature is intended.

Conversations are a little like Trains……. Trains having arrived at a destination, often travel to further destinations of little import possibly to us as an individual ……

But someone benefits from their continuous movement forward.

And many of us really like cars…… Although of zero significance in the USA, the Rover debacle here in the UK was far more devastating nationally than the recent problems at Quantegy were in the U.S.

Why should that be of any interest or relevance to a thread on F.M.E? Well the Corporation’s that I am involved with, for instance, spend an incredible amount of money sponsoring great Classical Concerts featuring the Top Artist’s and Orchestra’s with show's in the World’s Best Concert Halls.  In Europe in certain Cities, we place massive screens in City Squares so that everyone, whoever they are, can enjoy the Concert’s for free. We Sponsor Great Opera, Top Jazz Shows, Electronic Music Shows, and a great many different genre’s indeed all over the world.

Artist’s, Musicians, Studios, Mix Engineers, Mastering Houses, all directly benefit from this sponsorship.

But it doesn’t end there. We sponsor all kinds of Sport’s, Golf, Sailing, Motor Sport, Arts and Culture.

People on this REP site and in many parts of the world all directly benefit from this.

I know for a fact that three businesses represented on this site alone, have had Major Art Exhibitions sponsored in their particular Cities, in the last four months. And all this is on top of quite stupendous monies freely given to Charities, with the deployment of hugely expensive practical resources, wherever this is appropriate in specific parts of the world.

We have to run business with an economic efficiency, second to none anywhere in the world, in order to be able to achieve such ends, having to generate profits on an unprecedented scale, to enable such benevolence to be possible.

We could put extra money in shareholders pockets.

We could pay the shop floor workers more.

We could reinvest at a higher rate.

We do of course, look after all those things anyway, but instead of increasing them astronomically further, we try to give something back to the world, of a much higher order altogether.

Tom, I note you are from Pennsylvania.

One business that the type of Industries that are of financial interest to me would interface with, is the Pennsylvania Paint Group. This example, is a small business on the scale I’m talking about, but it should be of interest to you, because you and your children will probably benefit from it at some point, if they go on to higher education.

PPG Industries Foundation
2004 Financial Highlights

Education - 2,175
Human Services - 1,209
Culture    - 275
Civic and Community Affairs - 200
Health and Safety - 79
Direct Grants - 3,938
Matching Gifts - 1,394
GIVE Grants - 134         

TOTAL - 5,466

These Amounts represent numbers of $ Millions.

So for last year we are talking about PPG simply giving away $5,466,000,000.

This is a Company that simply vies for contracts with the Companies I get financially involved with. Small potatoes then… But if anyone here can give away an equivalent percentage, of the income of their business, to good works, as this company does, then hats off to them. I salute them!  

If they can’t afford to do that, then perhaps it’s obvious that there is a great deal about the efficient running of a business that could be learnt from studying such companies.  

It’s hard to do that however…….

And not discuss them……

When a convenient opportunity arises.

But a great many people within the Audio Industry, directly benefit from the shows that particular companies sponsor; and the work, massive Global Corporations provide, benefit a great many people in your profession albeit indirectly.

Probably you benefit too….

I very much hope that that is the case!

But I can well understand such conversations not being the original intention you had in mind…..

Q: “The whales speak. We just fail to understand the language.”

Q: “The SOSUS system has heard "conversations" at least 1000 miles away!

It's the loudest animal sound.”

It’s amazing the number of post’s I have seen on many different threads throughout the whole REP site that make reference to Whales, and what we can learn from them.

There seems to be an ever growing ground swell of interest in them…..

But it’s most especially satisfying to me, to see two people I think a very great deal of and care about, warmly agreeing, and expressing in writing so movingly, their common interest in Whales.

Long may this keenly awaited Concorde continue……..

Q: “... in 99' we got so lost driving thru Oxford on our way back to London.”

It’s perplexing to contemplate…. But the fact is high flying public transport experts from all over the world come to Oxford to learn how to deploy practical and effective transport policies. This came home to me a little while back when there were certain problem’s besetting Tokyo. You see, the head of the Tokyo Transport System was my next door neighbour for a while. But despite all this quality expertise, being handily available, the fact remains that due to the local and county council’s inner stress's, Oxfords transport structure itself, is confusing to people unused to its peculiar idiosyncrasies. Indeed it is, even to those well familiar with its frustrating eccentricities.

Q: “Oxford to London is a hell of a drive, for England!”

If you study a map of the U.K. you will find that although motorways flow out from London freely in all directions. The two best roads, both flow in a Westerly direction out of London towards just North of, and just South of Oxford respectively.

It takes many years to fully implement a properly structured transport policy, and the particular political party in Government, will change before plans can be properly developed. But although Governments change, the Civil Servant’s and high powered Mandarin’s that advise the Government, remain the same. They, mostly live in the area between North and South Oxford, and London itself as a group of individuals.

Q: “We drove in and around Oxford for 2 hours looking for an exit to London!”

Better to stay in Oxfordshire is the obvious conclusion that should be drawn.

Ask Paul Frindle………

Q: “Finally dead-ended on campus... the tweed-clad denizens just looked at us like "silly colonists"...”

Heaven Forefend!

Q: “of course driving "left" didn't help any.”

Ah……..!

You should of gone ‘Right’ then…..?

Parking is the single biggest problem…..

I get driven into Oxford, dropped off and picked up, because of the parking situation and a while back was waiting for my car to arrive, when a big blue Roller with a young student at the wheel, parked right in front of me in the middle of the street.

Now…. I’ve lived in Oxford all my life, but even I don’t do this Jay.

And for a moment……………………

I succumbed to the sin of envy……...!

A young student, in a Roller, parking in the middle of the road, like he owned it!

I was envious..

How stupid..

But I was.

And then he started to get out of the car, and it seemed to take a quite little while for him to do so….

Giving my eyes time to grow even greener.

And then, he was fully out of the car, and I saw him stood to his complete stature.

He had only one leg, and used an arm support, in order to be able to walk.

Off he hobbled to the Bank with his unequal gait!

I could have kicked myself!

And I learnt a very salutary lesson.

All the time I was looking at him and envying him, he was looking at me, stood there bold as brass on my two legs, and in all probability, envying me…..

Envy…. No wonder it’s a sin……

Q: “Who's the best UK ME ?”

With the greatest respect, I gave a clear answer to this earlier……

P: “There are many excellent mastering engineers doing a solid job that really deserve a good pat on the back. We even have some in this country, remarkable though that might seem, but as soon as you mention a particular personal favourite, you do risk the possibility of disenfranchising those you haven’t mentioned.

And I would never want to do that……”

Q: “the tailor that cuts the best, cuts the least.....!

Congratulations….

Love the dots…..

Errr…

Ummm….

Arrrggh…….

I feel, the better the Tracking and Mixing is done, the less should actually need to be done at the Mastering Stage. A direct transfer would mean that the Mastering Engineer had enough experience, competency and brilliance to know that anything he ‘improved’ would actually take away something from the recording.

Mastering Engineers that are this good, are rare, but ideal.

Tracking and Mix Engineers that are this good are also quite rare, but this is what I feel people should be aiming for when recording.

I once mentioned to George on the Massenberg Forum, just how much better Al Schmitt’s recordings sounded to me that everybody else’s recording’s I had heard.

I’m sure he greatly appreciated the point of my comments.

Unfortunately, I believe most M.E.’s will have plenty to do on the overwhelming majority of recordings they have the professional misfortune to encounter in future.

P

Razz

P.S. Aren't Whales Terrific?  Razz  Razz

What is it that they are telling us about Audio?  Razz  Razz  Razz

Do we know it all already? Or is there more we could learn?  Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz

Could Whales be the one's the teach us something spectacularly significant?  Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz

It's great that Bill and Dave are SO united in their love for and understanding of Whales.  Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz  

Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz

No offense taken  Smile
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.
CD Mastering and Media Production Services

bblackwood

« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2005, 06:09:11 PM »

Tom, do you really have to quote that whole book to add a three word reply?
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Level

« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2005, 10:08:48 PM »

Remember usernet in 1988 Brad? You got "thrown off of it" if you did not quote entire previous postings, because someone may post one while you are writing a post.

Of course..then at 600 baud, each letter counted and was a testiment of your connection and hipness.

Methinks it is a habit of usernet. Some of us are truly 'old school,'
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

dcollins

« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2005, 10:23:53 PM »

Level wrote on Sun, 29 May 2005 19:08

http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/96q1/usenet.html

PP

« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2005, 04:05:26 AM »

masterhse

« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2005, 07:44:42 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Sun, 29 May 2005 18:09

Tom, do you really have to quote that whole book to add a three word reply?

There was a "tongue in cheek" point that I guess wasn't so obvious. If you've ever seen the Who movie The Kids Are Alright, an interviewer goes into about a 10 minute question asking Townshend about the existential ramifications of Tommy. Townshend simply answers "Yes".

Poyser is a great guy, and I enjoy his posts. There does seem to be a tendency to "free-associate" in his writing style, or maybe he really likes to drink coffee. Smile
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2005, 02:30:47 AM »

Hate to be a party pooper here and get back ON TOPIC...but
Greg Calbi totally kicked my ass last year with Grandaddy's
"Sumday" album, a reference pop rock record of mine. I havent found anything that it sounds bad on, from my shitty factory Honda system, to my 12" Powerbook's Chicklet sized speakers, NS-10's, you name it. Just gorgeous and not too loud.

turtletone

« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2005, 07:56:01 AM »

Grandaddy's stuff is also mixed very well. Barely anything has to be done to most of these mixes. It would take some commitment to screw it up. He didn't which is a testiment to his professionalism.
Michael Fossenkemper
TurtleTone Studio
info@turtletonestudio.com
www.turtletonestudio.com

Phil Demetro

« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2005, 01:48:58 PM »

Wasn't that Grandaddy record mixed by Michael Brauer? Great mastering by Greg Calbi. His style is the most warm and "tubey" at Sterling Sound. Aimme Mann's "Lost in Space" is nice, too.

There's a snipit of Michael mixing on the new Ben Folds DVD.
Surprisingly 'mobile" at the console (do any of the ME's on this board dance while they're mastering?). I also like the Idlewild and Athlete records that he also mixed. All mastered by Chris Athens - also from at Sterling.

Being aware of the "disenfranchise" remark made earlier, I'll comment anyway.
For me, Tom Coyne and Chris Athens are my fav's simply by having made the biggest influence on my direction and approach to mastering so far. I'm fairly new to the business and having watched these guys run a session has been hugely inspiring. Even in Toronto, Canada (where I'm from) their influence is sizeable with labels and artists routinely going to NYC to work with them. Both engineers have a well rounded combination of experience, great sounding discography, attitude, session style, equipment/studio,etc. The generosity these guys show me always makes me look forward to the time that I can visit again. They've imparted a lot to me with no favour asked in return.

Tom Coyne is justifiably legendary (check the new Common CD "BE"). Chris Athens IMO is the next generation of ME's to keep an eye on.

Phil

bobkatz

« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2005, 12:28:45 PM »

dcollins wrote on Sun, 29 May 2005 22:23

Level wrote on Sun, 29 May 2005 19:08

http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/96q1/usenet.html

Very funny. Who (or what) is Dave Rhodes?

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

masterhse

« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2005, 09:31:40 AM »

bobkatz wrote on Sat, 04 June 2005 12:28

Very funny. Who (or what) is Dave Rhodes?

BK

A notorious spammer,

http://daverhodes.etee2k.net/
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.

masterhse

« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2005, 03:20:35 PM »

One engineer that seems to be less known is Andy VanDette. Back in the days when I was doing more mixing I always thought that he did a superior job. Any info or experiences?
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.