R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite Mastering Engineer?  (Read 32436 times)

PP

Re: Favorite Mastering Engineer?
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2005, 03:43:00 AM »

JGreenslade

« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2005, 05:55:37 AM »

jfrigo wrote on Thu, 26 May 2005 15:46

thermionic wrote on Thu, 26 May 2005 02:33

Before I go completely off-topic (he started it Smile, I just wanted to say that it's good to see Herb Powers figure in the list. Sitting as I do at the moment, surrounded by racks of vinyl, Mr Powers's name seems to figure on numerous quality pressings.

So you like mainly his vinyl work? Which ones are good?

Firstly, it would be Herb Jnr.

Secondly, I made a slightly candid post... I was at a very impressionable age when I first came across records with "Powers @ Frankford / Wayne" scrawled across them...

I would have to do some listening in order to cite my favourites, and I'm not 100% sure my affinity for them would entirely be due to "fidelity", but partly because they constituted the dawn of a new era / sound.

Powers mastered many of the classic West-End releases, and a particularly clean pressing (very sweet, undistorted HF - the cleanliness of the hats puts most of today's pressings to shame IMO) would be Brenda Taylor's "You can't have your cake and eat it too".

Powers has made some extraordinary cuts, but there's a lot to choose from, and I'd have to spend time listening to state which ones really stood out. Maybe my judgement of Powers is slightly with rose-tinted spectacles as so many of the West-End releases (Loose Joints / Peach Boys etc) are still played today, and to me, sound more futuristic than most "electronic" records today, even after 20 years.

I think he did implement a fair amount of compression on some of those early "electro funk" records, but it worked, and certainly wasn't squashed by modern standards.

Powers was responsible for many of the Arthur Russell productions on West-End, and a fair amount of Todd + Martinelli recordings. Russell's releases are a particular favourite of mine, with an immensely deep low-end (even by today's standards).

I hope you can excuse the somewhat vague post, but it will require a fair amount of listening to cite favourites from Powers - if I get time over the weekend I'll see if I can dig up more suggestions. I stand by the Brenda Taylor comment though - that's a good record to check your TT with, on account of the HF cleanliness.

Powers mastered some records that completely changed my musical tastes, and a few that I know very well (Forcce - a pioneering production!) are listed here:    http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:8EEYnx4YKXQJ:www.black-mu  sic-collectors.com/labels/west_end_12.htm+arthur+russell+her b+powers&hl=en

Quote:

He’s had a bad press. He’s really a very good guy.
Snip…
Industry insiders and Political's knew this a long time ago…..

Sorry for the OT, but I couldn't disagree more... What about the six-figure bonuses for the directors, when the firm was losing several million a month? Do you pay yourself a bonus like that if the books are losing? I'm no industry-insider, but it didn't take a genius to see that the old models (200 + 400) were dead in the water, and Alchemy's proposal of concentrating on the viable models (i.e. 75 + MG), although sacrificing 2,500 jobs, would have resulted in the firm still being alive today. They simply didn't have the R+D budgets to compete with Toyota / Honda etc, and should have focused on the unique models that don't compete head-on with the Japanese cars.

Quote:

Q: “Rolls and Bentley are respectively owned by BMW and VW”

A friend of mine works as a stylist at the VAG design facility in Stuttgart. He reckons that the new Bentley Coupe and the Porsche "Cayenne" represent the most "vulgar" cars he's ever had the misfortune to work on... (don't shoot the messenger if you disagree!).

Seeing as the link went down, here's another to the new Morgan:     http://www.channel4.com/4car/media/motorshows/geneva2005/03- large/morgan-r3q.jpg    Morgans have never appealed to me one bit, but the Aeromax changed my attitude completely - very reminiscent of the '30s streamliners such as Delahaye / Delage etc. I want one, but I'm guessing the music / audio industry is probably not the job for me if I aspire to such luxury Sad

Justin  
Audio is a vocational affliction

"there is no "homeopathic" effect in bits and bytes." - HansP

Gold

« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2005, 08:56:09 AM »

thermionic wrote on Fri, 27 May 2005 05:55

A friend of mine works as a stylist at the VAG design facility in Stuttgart. He reckons that the new Bentley Coupe and the Porsche "Cayenne" represent the most "vulgar" cars he's ever had the misfortune to work on... (don't shoot the messenger if you disagree!).

I've never seen the Bentley but I figured the Cayenne was for the US market only. I'm sorry it's not. It's like an Escalade for someone who is embarrassed to wear a gold chain and a pinky ring.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

PP

« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2005, 02:43:04 PM »

masterhse

« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2005, 02:45:52 PM »

Boy, has this thread gone off the rails ...
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.
CD Mastering and Media Production Services

Level

« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2005, 02:49:52 PM »

Quote:

There’s a life sized model of a big Blue Whale hanging in the Natural History Museum.    

I bet if it could speak, we could learn a lot about audio technology from that Whale.    

Oh my dear Peter, speak..and speak it does. Whale songing has a reported 500 mile range! We all know that the speed of sound underwater is roughly 4 times as fast as in the air as well.

The whales speak. We just fail to undestand the language.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

dcollins

« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2005, 11:06:28 PM »

Level wrote on Fri, 27 May 2005 11:49

Whale songing has a reported 500 mile range!

It's actually much more.  The SOSUS system has heard "conversations" at least 1000 miles away!

It's the loudest animal sound.  But high powered sonar may be killing them...

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/brp/SoundsBlueWhale.html

DC

dcollins

« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2005, 11:17:57 PM »

GR wrote on Thu, 26 May 2005 08:13

Ah, will we be seeing you on the small screen this weekend??

Only if the dreaded paparazzi have their way.  After many bad experiences, this year we're enlisting the aid of some chaps from GSG-9 to deal with any interlopers.

We are also considering converting one of the 777's to a tanker for those extra long journeys. We already have the other three modifed for air-air refueling, but outside of the CONUS, it's hard to find a unscheduled KC-10 when you really need it.

DC

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2005, 11:49:22 PM »

More than slightly OT but...

Poyser,

Speaking of Ted Green, did you ever hear that Great record he did back in the late 70's?

So you're an Oxford man !

... in 99' we got so lost driving thru Oxford on our way back to London.

Do you know Chris Blair or Peter Mew over at Abbey Road?

Peace  Cool
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Level

« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2005, 11:59:12 PM »

Oxford to London is a hell of a drive, for England!

(Just remembering the old days)

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2005, 12:14:06 AM »

Level wrote on Fri, 27 May 2005 22:59

Oxford to London is a hell of a drive, for England!

Yo Bill

We drove in and around Oxford for 2 hours looking for an exit to London!
Finally dead-ended on campus... the tweed-clad denizens just looked at us like "silly colonists"...of course driving "left" didn't help any.

anyway back On Topic:

Who's the best UK ME ?   Cool
Terra Nova Mastering

TotalSonic

« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2005, 12:17:11 AM »

JayTea wrote on Sat, 28 May 2005 05:14

Who's the best UK ME ?   Cool

I think Chris Blair at Abbey Road is definitely worthy of some props.  There's some great stuff coming out of Heathmans and the Exchange also.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Level

« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2005, 12:23:08 AM »

JT,

I would wager, it is Pete Poyser, except he has yet to email me or send me any MP3's to cretique. Mastering sometimes can be beyond a mastering engineer. Some recordings are the beyond, and no mastering is sutible at all.

The Man has done some deep works..I am waiting to listen.

Touch them with a signal path, and feel the wrath of deterioration. I love them raw and real myself, in many cases, for arts sake.

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2005, 12:25:19 AM »

TotalSonic wrote on Fri, 27 May 2005 23:17

I think Chris Blair at Abbey Road is definitely worthy of some props.

Yes !... got to meet Chris in 99' at Abbey Road... same trip as the Lost-in-Oxford incident.  Very Happy
Terra Nova Mastering

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2005, 12:36:27 AM »

Level wrote on Fri, 27 May 2005 23:23

Some recordings are the beyond, and no mastering is sutible at all. Touch them with a signal path, and feel the wrath of deterioration. I love them raw and real myself, in many cases, for arts sake.

I'll post it again...

sometimes... the tailor that cuts the best, cuts the least... (cloth not cheese)!

Cool
Terra Nova Mastering
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.